Best Unlimited Astraweb Replacement?

Technical Support for Astraweb. Moderated by a real live Astraweb representative.

Moderator: stevef

Best Unlimited Astraweb Replacement?

Postby rockphantom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:36 pm

The time has to end my 5 year relationship with the once mighty Astraweb.
I am tired of constantly dealing with incomplete files and 430 notices.

While I am able to use my News Demon unlimited account to complete most downloads, I believe AW is nothing more than a waste of money.
I would like to replace it with a reliable unlimited Usenet provider.

Here are my requirements:

1. 98% completion
2. Independent news servers (no re-sellers)
3. $10 or less per month for unlimited service

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you!
rockphantom
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/08/07

Re: Best Unlimited Astraweb Replacement?

Postby dexter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Reddit has a good list of providers here: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

If you browse through the /r/usenet subreddit, there are tons of opinions on services. Finding one that is not a reseller at your pricepoint might be a challenge.

My recommendation would be Usenetserver. They are a Highwinds provider and I've personally had good luck with them. There is a $10 price for Newsbin users and we get a few bucks back if you sign up through this link

You might have better completion with a news server outside of the US. If you are not coming from a US IP, you can sign up for Eweka for instance. Again, if you follow that link, we get a few bucks out of it.

Hope this helps.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ItsMe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:21 pm

If you aren't to worried about super long retention I have been with Frugal Usenet for a while now with no issues...
ItsMe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/29/05

Postby rockphantom » Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 am

dexter wrote:Reddit has a good list of providers here: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

If you browse through the /r/usenet subreddit, there are tons of opinions on services. Finding one that is not a reseller at your pricepoint might be a challenge.

My recommendation would be Usenetserver. They are a Highwinds provider and I've personally had good luck with them. There is a $10 price for Newsbin users and we get a few bucks back if you sign up through this link

You might have better completion with a news server outside of the US. If you are not coming from a US IP, you can sign up for Eweka for instance. Again, if you follow that link, we get a few bucks out of it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information.
I have a Newsdemon account in addition to my AW access.

Newsdemon is a Highwinds reseller.
Would having a UsenetServer account in addition to Newsdemon increase availability of binary files since they both rely on Highwinds?
I apologize for the late reply.
rockphantom
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/08/07

Return to Astraweb