Astraweb secure servers HOSED???

Technical Support for Astraweb. Moderated by a real live Astraweb representative.

Moderator: stevef

Astraweb secure servers HOSED???

Postby NZBeaner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I've been using Astraweb for years, DL'ing from all 3 secure servers. Beginning last night (10/11), DL speed has dropped massively, and virtually every file (we're talking TV shows), even ones posted just hours earlier, is missing so much the PARS will not fix it. I've noticed the percentage of incompletes has been going up for weeks, but in the last 24 hours, I've attempted 10 DL's & 7 of them have been unrepairably short. Again, these are all shows which aired/were posted in the last 48 hours. I'm in the Olympia, Washington area. Using Comcast. Speed tests show my connection is fine & I'm having no other Internet issuess. Anyone else having this problem?

TIA

NB
NZBeaner
n00b
n00b

Re: Astraweb secure servers HOSED???

Postby thumbsupracing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Almost everything I've tried in the last week has been consistently incomplete. Doing some forum research seems its an astraweb issue and I'm currently shopping around for a new service unless someone can indicate this is a known issue that will be remedied soon.
thumbsupracing
n00b
n00b

Postby NZBeaner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the forums on the 2 indexing sites I use (Nzbplanet & Usenet crawler) and no one on those seems to be mentioning it. Glad at least it's not just me. I hope they get it together soon. What other servers are you considering?
NZBeaner
n00b
n00b

Postby thumbsupracing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 pm

People say they are getting good results with newshosting.
thumbsupracing
n00b
n00b

Postby barfus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:47 pm

There is some buzz on the net that there's something wrong currently with propagation on Astra..It's happened before over the years...The thing that bugs me is that they are mostly silent about any problems they have..For instance , in the "news" section on the web page, there are only SIX status reports in the last three years, and they're usually after the fact!!!
barfus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby NZBeaner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:06 am

I always thought Astra was on of the larger servers. I'm just surprised there isn't more chatter about this on NG sites.
NZBeaner
n00b
n00b

Postby Kent_Diego » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I have been having a lot of problems with incomplete posts. I have two ways to fix:

1. Download the .nzb file and double click.
2. In downloaded file list, select PAR file and "Resume".

Hope they get their act together soon.
Kent_Diego
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/13

Postby whyaduck » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:07 am

NZBeaner wrote:I'm just surprised there isn't more chatter about this on NG sites.

there is some. one theory, not confirmed,is that in order to save time and money, astra has given direct access to main dmca-complainers, thus becoming the swiss cheese of news servers.
A Carrot Is As Close As A Rabbit Gets To A Diamond
Captain Beefheart
whyaduck
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/03

Postby Obecalp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:50 am

whyaduck wrote:
NZBeaner wrote:I'm just surprised there isn't more chatter about this on NG sites.

there is some. one theory, not confirmed,is that in order to save time and money, astra has given direct access to main dmca-complainers, thus becoming the swiss cheese of news servers.

I wouldn't be surprised, I was a paid user of them for years and they used to be a decent Usenet provider but over the years they became garbage, wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. I stick to non-USA EU based providers now who don't let the US media shaft their customers with auto-DMCA and the like.
Obecalp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/03/04

Postby NZBeaner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Obecalp wrote:
whyaduck wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised, I was a paid user of them for years and they used to be a decent Usenet provider but over the years they became garbage, wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. I stick to non-USA EU based providers now who don't let the US media shaft their customers with auto-DMCA and the like.

The servers seem OK the last couple days, we'll see. This is NOT a DMCA issue however, the individual .rar's & .par's would dl fine (but SLLLOOOWWW) up to about 80%, unlike take downs where you get zero.
NZBeaner
n00b
n00b

Postby ozzie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:39 am

I've been trying to get my usual TV shows all week from Astraweb, but none of them have been complete, always too many missing bits to assemble them.
So I came here to see what's up, and it seems to be affecting others too

So a couple of hours ago I signed up for 1 month to Frugal Usenet to test whether the files are complete there, only $5 is cheap enough to do a test.

Guess what, I now have all the files I have been battling to download from Astraweb all week, and NONE of them had missing bits! NONE of them needed any PAR2 files to repair them!

That says it all for me.
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/06/07

Postby wolf359 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 am

Yep, I've subscribed to these guys for a couple of years now and the quality of the downloads has gotten consistently worse over the last couple of months or so. Just signed up for a trial with usenet.dl, and it seems to work well with what little I've done with it so far. The only drawback is they have their own software they encourage you to use. They say you can use your own, but don't provide the server name that I'd be able to plug into NB Pro. Unless someone here happens to know it, I'm going to try contacting them for the info, and cancel before the trial period's up if they refuse to provide it.
wolf359
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/11/14

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:09 am

You can use "TCPView" (from microsoft) to see what server IP it connects to. Then, assuming it's really a news server, you can plug that IP into Newsbin as the server address.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jonSF » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 am

I've had major issues with Astraweb lately too. I opened a ticket the other day telling them about the issues, and I linked to this thread to show them that it wasn't just me. They responded with this:

"For the completion issues, we have found that the missing articles are posted via other Usenet providers in which the articles are not propagated out properly. It is beyond our control unfortunately if the posting server does not send us all the parts to complete. However we would suggest you to try again as we have users who claimed that they are able to get the complete download eventually after few hours."

Thanks to ozzie for mentioning Frugal Usenet, I signed up, and my issues are now resolved. Thanks, Ozzie!

I asked Astraweb for a refund, as I have 2 months left before my yearly runs out and they refused. So I paid for a service that isn't functioning, and I still have to pay for it. Just poor.
jonSF
n00b
n00b

Postby salparadise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:52 am

Astraweb is hosed all right. I was hoping it was temporary, but it just seems to be getting worse? I'm thinking it's probably not dmca related as it affects tons of stuff? But it does seem to affect some groups more than others though, so who knows? It's definitely frustrating. :x

For me it's not a speed issue, just a completeness issue. Tons of posts are swiss cheesed with incomplete files too extensive for par files to repair.
salparadise
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/11/08

Postby wolf359 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 am

Quade wrote:You can use "TCPView" (from microsoft) to see what server IP it connects to. Then, assuming it's really a news server, you can plug that IP into Newsbin as the server address.

Thanks, that worked...although I was able to find the information through the FAQ's later, I'll just keep it this way as long as it works. I thought about Frugal Usenet; but for now at least, I prefer to have the longer retention time.
wolf359
n00b
n00b

Postby dr_dx » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 am

Been using astraweb since 2000, and I am done. Their lack of completeness is more than I can stand. Any recommendations for a service with high completion rate? Don't need a lot of retention or bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance
Dr DX
dr_dx
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/18/04

Postby wolf359 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Weird situation here...I canceled Astraweb (think I still have some time left in my current paid month before it goes away though, since for the moment it still seems to work) and took UsenetServer for a trial spin. It worked great and downloaded every show I wanted without fail. So...being as it's a better deal pricewise than Astraweb, and all their specs looked good, I go ahead and purchase a year of service. Next day, I now cannot download anything from them! Every file gives me the 403 finger and is all red in nearly every part. I go back and try Astraweb with these files...they all download perfectly!?! I just don't get it...sent them a support request. I'm not sure if the service is suspended pending the confirmation of funds, or if I just got bait-and-switched. Oh, everything I download through their "global search" comes in ok, but the search results there are hot garbage.

Funny thing is, usenet.nl started doing the same thing around the same time after also working great initially, and I'm still using the trial period on it. I'm canceling that anyway, since they seem to have goofy tiered download plans.
wolf359
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 am

People who use multiple servers probably don't even see that issue. Newsbin'll just try both servers and combine the files out of the data that is there. I don't think any usenet news server is 100% all the time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ozzie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:17 am

Well, a week has now passed since I signed up to Frugal Usenet for one month to test it.
All the TV shows I download on a daily basis have been complete, none of them needed any repair files.

Goodbye Astraweb!
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby wolf359 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:30 am

ozzie wrote:Well, a week has now passed since I signed up to Frugal Usenet for one month to test it.
All the TV shows I download on a daily basis have been complete, none of them needed any repair files.

Goodbye Astraweb!

Have you tried older postings (a couple of weeks or months old) to see if they will download the same way? I can do same-day downloads on UsenetServer with no problem as well; but I have certain shows I'm behind on that are posted further out than that, and dmca usually means I have no luck with those without Astraweb backing me up (at least until my remaining active period runs out). Even then I usually need to use par files.
wolf359
n00b
n00b

Postby ozzie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:54 am

wolf359 wrote:
ozzie wrote:Well, a week has now passed since I signed up to Frugal Usenet for one month to test it.

Goodbye Astraweb!

Have you tried older postings (a couple of weeks or months old) to see if they will download the same way? I can do same-day downloads on UsenetServer with no problem as well; but I have certain shows I'm behind on that are posted further out than that, and dmca usually means I have no luck with those without Astraweb backing me up (at least until my remaining active period runs out). Even then I usually need to use par files.

I don't let myself get behind, I DL daily to make sure I don't miss out.
But I just tried a 1 month old post which was complete with no problems...
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Kent_Diego » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Th Astraweb support site has new topic on the incompletes. They blame articles posted to XSNews/Easyusenet not being properly propagated out to peers:

Incomplete Articles

We have been aware for months that articles originating from XSNews/Easyusenet and its related resellers are incomplete. Articles posted via these servers are not propagated out to the rest of usenet complete. However, these articles are complete on their servers.

This is not in the spirit of usenet, whereby there is open and complete exchange of articles. As such, we urge users who see these incomplete articles to ask posters not to post via XSNews/Easyusenet. As posters who do so will not see their articles propagated completely throughout the rest of usenet.

Users experiencing this issue are urged to complain to XSNews/Easyusenet and to complain to the originating poster.
Kent_Diego
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/13

Postby ozzie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:31 am

Kent_Diego wrote:Th Astraweb support site has new topic on the incompletes. They blame articles posted to XSNews/Easyusenet not being properly propagated out to peers:

Incomplete Articles

We have been aware for months that articles originating from XSNews/Easyusenet and its related resellers are incomplete. Articles posted via these servers are not propagated out to the rest of usenet complete. However, these articles are complete on their servers.

This is not in the spirit of usenet, whereby there is open and complete exchange of articles. As such, we urge users who see these incomplete articles to ask posters not to post via XSNews/Easyusenet. As posters who do so will not see their articles propagated completely throughout the rest of usenet.

Users experiencing this issue are urged to complain to XSNews/Easyusenet and to complain to the originating poster.

I just checked the headers of everything I've downloaded from Frugal for the past week, and 14 of them were posted via Easyusenet, one was posted via Giganews and one was posted via Supernews.

All of them were downloaded ok from Frugal with no files incomplete and none needing repair, so no problems for me with posts coming via Easyusenet.
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby whyaduck » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Kent_Diego wrote:Th Astraweb support site has new topic on the incompletes. They blame articles posted to XSNews/Easyusenet not being properly propagated out to peers:

Incomplete Articles

how would that influence the shifting download speed?
A Carrot Is As Close As A Rabbit Gets To A Diamond
Captain Beefheart
whyaduck
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/03

Postby salparadise » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:25 am

This seems to have been resolved about a week ago. All is well, for now anyway. 8)
salparadise
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/11/08

Postby ozzie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

salparadise wrote:This seems to have been resolved about a week ago. All is well, for now anyway. 8)

Still problems for me.
I just downloaded a show, from Astraweb there were tons of missing bits, but I got the missing bits from Frugal.

Looks like I'll be keeping Frugal as a fill-in server.
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:35 am

Older damaged files aren't going to get fixed. It's the newer ones that have been posted in the past week or two that are better.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ozzie » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 am

Quade wrote:Older damaged files aren't going to get fixed. It's the newer ones that have been posted in the past week or two that are better.

The file I had problems with was uploaded only 12 hours before, it was a new upload...
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby wolf359 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:14 am

ozzie wrote:
wolf359 wrote:

Goodbye Astraweb!

I don't let myself get behind, I DL daily to make sure I don't miss out.
But I just tried a 1 month old post which was complete with no problems...

Just signed up for a month of Frugal to try it...trying to download a show I missed four days ago, same problem on US or EU servers. I'm only out five bucks but it's still irritating. DMCA must be getting to these shows quick!
wolf359
n00b
n00b

Postby weezee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:02 pm

How stupid of me to come here and read this thread only AFTER having renewed my Astraweb subscription. It simply sucks, it's awful, it's crawling and nothing is complete. I've opened a ticket and the reply was "Send us the NZBs and we'll look into it"; too bad right after this sentence the ticket was tagged as CLOSED. They obviously did not check anything, nor they replied to any further message. Astraweb is done and they're cheating subscribers with false retention advertisements. Their retention and reputation is zero. Just wanted to share my bad experience and confirm that since this thread has been started, things at Astraweb keep going downhill. :evil:
weezee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/26/05

Postby Maxdout38 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:01 pm

thumbsupracing wrote:People say they are getting good results with newshosting.

I agree with this!!!!
Maxdout38
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/03/10

Postby majestyx » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:52 pm

I also used Astra News for years using their Pay-By-Download plan and for at least the last half year, maybe more, posts are incomplete, whether they are new or old, large or small. There is always something missing, even though the post itself states it's complete within newsbin. I finally signed up with another provider - News Demon - and have been using it as a fill server so that I can at least get what I paid for from AN while using ND to fill in what's missing until I've used up my download credits with AN. I won't bother signing up for any more download credit from AN in the future. And it appears their rep here no longer checks in here.
majestyx
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/04

Postby weezee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

majestyx wrote:I also used Astra News for years using their Pay-By-Download plan and for at least the last half year, maybe more, posts are incomplete, whether they are new or old, large or small. There is always something missing, even though the post itself states it's complete within newsbin. I finally signed up with another provider - News Demon - and have been using it as a fill server so that I can at least get what I paid for from AN while using ND to fill in what's missing until I've used up my download credits with AN. I won't bother signing up for any more download credit from AN in the future. And it appears their rep here no longer checks in here.

I've done the other way: set NewsDemon as primary and Aastraweb as fill, because not only posts are incomplete, but speed to Europe totally sucks too. They are a rip-off, stay away from Astraweb, they're not what they used to be.
weezee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/26/05

Postby DogSnake » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:29 am

This is becoming a sad regular story. Just tried a set of headers 10-12 days old. So riddled with incompletes including the pars. Got needing 4 more blocks but no go. So near yet so far. Once my paid download subscription is used I will have to find a new server also.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby kidknicky » Thu May 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Here is something interesting:

I was forced to find an "NG" provider because my cable service cancelled their "NG" access.
After pinging several providers, I selected Astraweb (best ping).
Initial download test was pretty astounding with 100% completion! Completion has degraded
over time and a few months later, pretty much everything I try to DL is incomplete with "0" chance to repair.
Nothing has changed on my end. Are the access feeds being targeted?

I use a web service to gather post info on articles, such as "reported", "DMCA'd", "nuked" etc. So I know which post's to avoid.
I pay for full cable service, so most of the shows I DL I can record on my PVR. I just prefer the NG method for various reasons.

My back-up plan, Bitsoup, has just moved to a user pay system. Yay.

I believe the only real option is to have my cable provider offer a product that I can view on a range of devices
and retain for a collection, seeing as I am already paying for it. It's pointless to keep trying other methods that
simply milk you for money on a product you have already paid for...

JD
kidknicky
n00b
n00b

Postby DogSnake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:44 pm

A while back I tried Blocknews. All my issues stopped. I was able to go back to files that were known by me to be incomplete on Astra a very long time ago and reload them complete. I had thought they were just incomplete. Now I run Astra as my fills and when my block is used up I will say goodby to Astra.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:51 pm

It's a good idea to have more than one server for cases like this. No server is perfect. I still get about 50% of my blocks from AW but I couldn't use it as the only server. It's missing too many newish blocks. There's no rhyme or reason to the missing blocks either.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Astraweb