Invalid user/password

Technical Support for Astraweb. Moderated by a real live Astraweb representative.

Moderator: stevef

Invalid user/password

Postby wiredog » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 am

Hi

Today my newsreader cant login (with its saved password) and I cant login to the website.

Are there general issues?

I dont remember which email I used to sign up and might not still have it, so if its not general issues can I reclaim my account somehow?

I know the paypal email address I used to put money in to the account (block account).

Martin
wiredog
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/30/04

Re: Invalid user/password

Postby Kent_Diego » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I get this all the time. Especially when downloading headers. Sometimes it takes three tries to get the headers. Very annoying. Was hoping it would be fixed by now. I wonder if it could be a NewsBin issue like too quick a time out or sending PW too fast?
Kent_Diego
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/13

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:44 pm

I get this all the time. Especially when downloading headers. Sometimes it takes three tries to get the headers. Very annoying. Was hoping it would be fixed by now. I wonder if it could be a NewsBin issue like too quick a time out or sending PW too fast?

How many connections are you using? If you run it right at the limit, any disconnects will push you over and this'll happen.

The new 6.71RC uses a different SSL library which seems to work better with AW. You might want to give it a try too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Kent_Diego » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:32 pm

How many connections are you using? If you run it right at the limit, any disconnects will push you over and this'll happen.

The new 6.71RC uses a different SSL library which seems to work better with AW. You might want to give it a try too.

I had 8 connections and was using SSL. Would happen first try with no other connections active. I just tried the new beta RC2 and tried a few header downloads and each one worked. Maybe the SSL library was problem. I will keep an eye on this and see if it happens again. Thanks for your help.

Kent
Kent_Diego
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Maybe the SSL library was problem. I will keep an eye on this and see if it happens again. Thanks for your help.

I think it's some AW peculiarity to be honest, the old SSL lib worked for every other server with no issues. I'm not completely clear why the new one works better, it just seems to.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Kent_Diego » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:28 am

Quade wrote:
Maybe the SSL library was problem. I will keep an eye on this and see if it happens again. Thanks for your help.

I think it's some AW peculiarity to be honest, the old SSL lib worked for every other server with no issues. I'm not completely clear why the new one works better, it just seems to.

Hi Quade. I tried downloading headers today and yesterday. In each case the first three attempts gave invalid password and the error log blamed the news server. Guess last week was a luck fluke. Usually after I kill the download 3 or 4 times it will start working. Kind of frustrating.

I noticed that i get the password failure in the logging fairly quickly but the download is still active for some time afterward so I have to kill it to save time and retry. Seems to me that once the invalid PW error is received the download should quit immediately. I know the problem is on Astraweb SSL but it would be awesome if Newsbin could somehow kill failed connection faster or even have a built-in workaround retry sequence to make the DL work transparently without user intervention.

Thanks for your hard work.

Kent
Kent_Diego
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:03 am

You know, I never get password errors from AW? I used to get some connection timeout errors but never password problems. The SSL issue was the connection timeout problem.

Might be a good idea to go to AW and change your password, then change it in Newsbin. I think your issue is unrelated to the SSL lib at this point. PW errors are either too many connections, a shared key or something like that. The fact it eventually works tells you that the password is correct.

Newsbin will keep trying forever when you get 480 password errors. It's not considered a fatal error. If you ever shared you password with a friend or family member or if you think it might have gotten shared. It's probably a good time to change it at AW to invalidate any existing users. It someone else in your house is using your account, you have to count those connections too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Astraweb