Astraweb US - News server error - SSL Negotiation Failed

Technical Support for Astraweb. Moderated by a real live Astraweb representative.

Moderator: stevef

Astraweb US - News server error - SSL Negotiation Failed

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:47 am

I've been having problems with Astraweb US reporting a lot more incomplete posts for several months but I have Giganews and Astraweb accounts and eventually files get completed. I've just waiting to see if Astraweb is going to continue to have problems before I jump ship. It could be DCMA but then I'd be curious to know why I'm not getting anywhere close to the same number of messages from Giganews. Is DCMA targeting Astraweb for some reason?

Regardless, a few of these messages are new, at least for me. I downloaded the latest beta version (6.71B4) of Newsbin today and these messages started appearing. It looks like it eventually makes a connection even though it reports almost every single file as 403 - No such article. I do have both Astraweb US and Astraweb EU split and it seems as though the Astraweb EU side is doing a better job of backfilling.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[21:04:05] ERROR Astraweb - US Unable to start SSL to news server Error: SSL Negotiation Failed, Host: ssl-us.astraweb.com Error: SSL Connection Failed: 5 Error 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[21:04:05] ERROR Astraweb - US Unable to start SSL to news server Error: SSL Negotiation Failed, Host: ssl-us.astraweb.com Error: SSL Connection Failed: 5 Error 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[21:04:23] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Astraweb - US SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article <bla> yEnc
[21:04:29] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Astraweb - US SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article <bla> yEnc
[21:05:29] ERROR Server:Astraweb - US NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data:
[21:05:33] ERROR Server:Astraweb - US NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data:
[21:05:38] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Astraweb - US SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article <bla> yEnc
[21:06:12] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Astraweb - US SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article <bla> yEnc
[21:06:17] ERROR Server:Astraweb - US NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NB Version 6.71B4 Build 4710
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 32 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM, ATA Crucial CT500MX2 SSD, 500GB
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Re: Astraweb US - News server error - SSL Negotiation Failed

Postby OldGuyWalking » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 am

Dumping Astraweb. I'm getting thousands of entries in the NB log from Astraweb only (both EU and US). Seems like they've automated the process of takedowns because there are too many that are occuring less than a day after posting.
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 am

I was under the impression they were relatively slow to take-down but maybe that's changed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby OldGuyWalking » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 pm

That's what I'd understood as well and in the past that seems to have been true. I've had an Astraweb account since 2010 so I'm not jumping ship lightly. I'm used to seeing the 403 - No such article message from both Astraweb and Giganews but lately I'm seeing that message a lot more from Astraweb as well as more DMCA removed from Astraweb.

I tried downloading a file with a 6/20 1:20 p.m. date a few minutes ago and Giganews showed a 403 File Not Found error and Astraweb showed a DMCA removed message. That's a little more than 24 hours but if I recall correctly Usenet providers had up to 48 hours to take files down. So, they both seem to have become more aggressive.

I'd read recently that U.S. based Usenet providers are beginning to automate the take down of files after they received a DCMA notice. Where it used to take a minimum of a couple of days for files to be blocked now it can be done in a matter of minutes (ain't progress great?).

I don't know if that's what's going on with Astraweb. I just know that I'm getting more log comments that files don't exist than I am file downloads from them.
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Astraweb