anyone else getting this

Technical Support for Astraweb. Moderated by a real live Astraweb representative.

Moderator: stevef

anyone else getting this

Postby Angelus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:03 am

[22:02:13] ERROR Astraweb Error talking to Server:
Angelus
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/06/10

Re: anyone else getting this

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:06 am

I get it from time to time. AW over SSL likes to drop connections. It doesn't seem to impact my downloads any.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Angelus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 am

Well its impacting mine... i'm getting no speed from the server.... sucks.... odd thing is the same thing is happening with Supernews and I changed nothing....
Angelus
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby OldGuyWalking » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:06 am

I have a 300Mbps connect through TWC. I'd noticed that in the evenings around 6p to 9p the download speed was dropping to between 2 - 3 MBps using AstraWeb and Giganews. This evening it dropped to about 1.2 MBps when disabled both Astraweb servers. I'd signed up with Eweka and the speed didn't improve much. Stayed at less than 2MBps.

As a test I signed up with Newshosting. I was in the middle of trying to download 2 files. One was about 3.2 GB and the other was about 1.4 GB. Speed progress was showing 1.2 to 1.4 MBps and it was taking forever. As soon as I added Newshosting into the mix and enabled the server the speed progress jumped to 30+ MBps in less than a minute and has hit that on every download I've done since.

I'm sure some people have no problem with AstraWeb or Giganews or whatever flavor of Usenet service they are using. I used to think that TWC was possibly throttling but running SpeedTest showed I was hitting 300mbps download speeds. Was wondering it had something to do with Newsbin but I couldn't find anything to support that.

This isn't an intermittent once in awhile problem. It's becoming a common situation. My workaround when the speeds dropped to around 2 MBps I'd move the files into the Wish List and then start the download right before I went to bed.
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 am

As a test I signed up with Newshosting. I was in the middle of trying to download 2 files. One was about 3.2 GB and the other was about 1.4 GB. Speed progress was showing 1.2 to 1.4 MBps and it was taking forever. As soon as I added Newshosting into the mix and enabled the server the speed progress jumped to 30+ MBps in less than a minute and has hit that on every download I've done since.

I have 100 Mbps Comcast and use AW and Giga. I never get less than 16 MBps/120 Mbps which means I'm topping out my line. This is with 30 connections total. I don't actually need that many but I'm using both EU and US AW server. Typically I run under 20 connections. I also have EU customers with connections like yours who get consistent. 300+ MBps. It's odd that you get such crappy speeds to AW and Giga.

First think I'd do is make any security software completely ignore Newsbin's connections. I'm a bit suspicious of your ISP perhaps throttling those two servers.

Angelus, if nothing is downloading, the first thing I'd do is disable SSL and change to the non-SSL server address and see if anything changes. Then I'd tell your security software to ignore Newsbin's connections to the internet. Many modern security packages intercept your SSL connections and they will mess up the downloaded data. I've seen it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Angelus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:49 am

I have no security software other then MS security essentials. I think security software tends to cause more issues then it solves at times

However I woke up this morning & it appears it's all running as it should

Quade was probably right about disabling the SSL port odd two different providers tho

Anyway thanks for the help
Angelus
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby OldGuyWalking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:56 am

I only have MS Essentials running but I've had it running for the past 6 years and it's not gotten in the way of Newsbin before. Newsbin is allowed through Windows Firewall. I reboot my router about twice a week. Usually reboot this PC once a week after I run backups. I use SpeedTest to check download speeds at least once a month and it's always been consistent, showing about 300mbps.

If TWC is throttling specific servers then it would be including Giga as well as Astraweb since Giga was running at less than 2 MBps before I flipped Newshosting on. I'm currently running 17 connections on Giga, and I was running 3 connections on Astraweb - EU and 7 connections on Astraweb - US.

I'm not sure what the connection speed is on the server side. Newshosting claims 100mbps and I've started out with 25 connections with them. I don't think I'm saturating the 300mbps because even when downloading multiple files I can still browse without problems.

As far as TWC throttling specific servers, if this was 5 years ago I'd probably feel it was more likely than now. I'm never been a fan of TWC but I've seen improvements in speed and reliability over the last 3 or 4 years. The problem is, there's no way (that I'm aware of) of knowing if TWC is throttling specific servers. If you know a way of checking that please let me know.

Thanks, Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NB Version 6.71B4 Build 4710
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 32 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM, ATA Crucial CT500MX2 SSD, 500GB
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:22 am

As far as TWC throttling specific servers, if this was 5 years ago I'd probably feel it was more likely than now. I'm never been a fan of TWC but I've seen improvements in speed and reliability over the last 3 or 4 years. The problem is, there's no way (that I'm aware of) of knowing if TWC is throttling specific servers. If you know a way of checking that please let me know.

You'd probably have to try something like a VPN to get out of your ISP and then see what speeds you get.

and I was running 3 connections on Astraweb - EU and 7 connections on Astraweb - US.

If you're running a multiple servers you probably want each one to be about the same number of connections. What I'm thinking is if you start getting 430 errors, the 3 connection AW will start to act like a bottleneck. Because Newsbin always checks all servers for missing chunks of the file. The servers with more connections will be able to cycle through the failures faster.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 am

Thanks Quade. I wasn't aware of the need to split the connections equally with Astraweb. I'd set Astraweb US at a priority 1 and Astraweb EU at a priority 2 thinking that I would usie Astraweb EU as a backfill. For awhile there were files that I could retrieve from the EU servers that were showing as 403 file not found on the US side although that seems to have changed.

While experimenting I'd also tried only keeping one of the Astraweb servers enabled and disabling the other and changing the connections to 10 in the one that I'd enabled. I then exited and then restarted NB. It didn't make any difference. Still had the same sluggish response and error mssages regardless of what settings I tried.

I cancelled my subscription with Astraweb a few days ago and since cancelling I haven't seen a log entry from any of the servers. I'm getting 35+MBps with bursts up to 45MBps consistently since I'd turned on Newshosting.

Based on download numbers from the server screen I'm getting almost 5 times more downloaded content from Newshosting (25 connections) than from Giganews (17 connections). When I was running Giganews (17 connections) + Astraweb (10 connections) I was getting about 3 times more downloaded content from Giganews than Astraweb.
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

If you have flat fee servers, like AW, I typically think you want them at the same priority. The 3 server addresses I use are all priority 1. In that way the downloads are purely in parallel. By using priority when you don't need them, you restrict simultaneous downloads. Normally you only use priority when one or more servers is more expensive to download from than the other servers.

Some servers are sold in block accounts meaning they might sell you 10 gigs of download before you have to re-up. So those servers are more expensive to use than a flat fee server and it make sense to use priority to only use them after the cheap servers are tried.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Astraweb