On August 8th, I purchased credits from Astraweb online.
I was re-directed, made the purchased, then re-directed again to a new user registration.
This was weird because I had already logged in to make my purchase. I also failed to record my
transaction number. I did email support to give them all the information I could, including my user
name, email address, date and time. I have been charged for the credits, but still have not received them.
Fearing a possible hijack, I cancelled my card and tried to reverse the charge.
(this is not possibly with a cancelled card). I have now sent a second email with this information again.
This is just a heads up for account holders that may also be looking at topping up their credits.
Honestly, I hope they find them, but in todays world, you have to fear the worst.