Newshost is super slow

Technical Support for Newshosting. Moderated by a real live Newshosting representative.

Moderator: radams

Newshost is super slow

Postby gquiring » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:00 pm

I am not sure what is going on but Newshosting has become basically unusable for me. I also have an Astraweb account that can download at my full speed (66meg). With Newshosting I can't get better than 7meg. I doubt it's newsbin (6.62) but who knows.
gquiring
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/02/04

Re: Newshost is super slow

Postby OldGuyWalking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 am

This is weird because I just dumped Astraweb yesterday because of slow response and thousands of 403 File not Found and DMCA remove messages. It's progressively been getting worse over the past few months. I've had a subscription with Astraweb since 2010 and I've had some intermittent problems but nothing like what's been going on lately. I have a 300 mbps connection (~37.5 MBps) but with both Giganews and Astraweb running I was only getting 2 - 3 MBps download speeds in the evening (between 5p - 9p.) The rest of the time I might get as high as 12MBps.

After I disabled Astraweb the number of 403 errors dropped to 3 or 4 when running Giganews by itself but download speed was about 1 - 2 MBps.

I signed up for Newshosting yesterday and as soon as I enabled their server in NB my download speeds jumped to over 35MBps and its been consistent for everything I've tried downloading.
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Postby gquiring » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:20 am

Astraweb is a waste of time, most of the pieces are missing/incomplete but their speed is great. I tried a few things last night with newshost (changing ports, disables Xfeatures in newsbin, increased connections) and was able to get 25meg down but it was intermittent.
gquiring
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Eurisko » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm

I too dumped Astraweb awhile back. Too many missing pieces and slower connections. (I have a 300 meg connection.)

That said, today Newshosting is dog ass slow. Like 50 meg downloads is the max I can pull. Doing quick speed tests confirms everything else works. Switched to my backup news server and it was solid and fast. Not sure what's up.

I have been seeing a ton of DNS lookup errors in Newzbin lately for them as well. I dont't know if that's related.
Eurisko
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby gquiring » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm

I was going back and forth with a Chris Lamb at Newshosts and could not get anywhere with him. I could prove that my connection worked at full speed to any other source except newshost. He kept blaming my side. Increase connections, disable some stuff in newsbin..... create a new config file, nothing helped. I don't know what to do now, Astraweb is disaster with missing pieces but goes full speed and newshost is very slow.
gquiring
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Eurisko » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:54 pm

I would hold out. This is the first time I've had this issue with Newshosting. I suspect they are having some issues. What ISP are you on? I'm on TimeWarnerCable.
Eurisko
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby gquiring » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Eurisko wrote:I would hold out. This is the first time I've had this issue with Newshosting. I suspect they are having some issues. What ISP are you on? I'm on TimeWarnerCable.
Same here TWC
gquiring
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Eurisko » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm

I suspect TWC is the issue.

Looks like they are having some issues: http://downdetector.com/status/time-warner-cable/map/
Eurisko
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newshosting