Warning from Giganews

Post technical questions and get help with NewsBin Pro Version 5.

Warning from Giganews

Postby T_llguy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 pm

This is a Notice of Copyright Infringement.

We have received multiple DMCA notices from copyright holders or their authorized agents that you, or someone using your account, have allegedly infringed their copyrights. Please stop immediately.

I have a secure connection between me and GN? At least I thought I did? I don't understand that anyone could see what I'm downloading? I don't know if they are just doing a CYA and everyone got this notice or can someone see what is being transferred between me and Giganews??

Confused user.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/05/04

Re: Warning from Giganews

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:29 pm

They claim you're POSTING copyrighted material. You might want to contact giganews about this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby T_llguy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 pm

I don't post anything. I did contact them, my account is on hold until I sign something stating I know the rules. But if someone can see what I'm doing I don't feel right signing something and then being fined for copyright infringement?

I thought my connection was secure? Now I have my doubts.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

The connection might be secure, but Giganews will always potentially know what you upload or download. Sounds as if they have been served with DCMA takedown requests, and for some reason think the material was posted via your account.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, I think either someone is using your account or giganews made a mistake. You might ask them how they identified you when you don't post anything. You also might want to change your giganews password in case someone is using your account.

Things posted through Giganews get a posting tag that lets them track it back to you. That's how someone would end up reporting you. That's why, if you didn't do it, it's got to be a mistake or hijacked account.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Dark_Falcon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 pm

FYI...

I got the same warning email today and I never post using my giganews account. I wonder if this was some sort of global 'warning' and a cya for giganews.
Dark_Falcon
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm a subscriber and I haven't gotten one yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Dark_Falcon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Perhaps you haven't downloaded recently or are not downloading the same types of files (i.e. television shows, movies etc.).

It does seem an odd coincidence that this also occurred Today and I get my email a few hours later (goes to my point about Giganews CYA)...

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55974
Dark_Falcon
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Someone on the IRC channel mentioned what this is probably about. Using bittorrent through VyperVPN. If you use Bittorrent, they have your IP, then Giga just has to look up who was using the IP at that time and bam, out goes the DMCA letter. That explains why I never got one. I don't use Vyper or torrent.

So, you guys need to figure out if you ever used torrent through Vyper.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Dark_Falcon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Awesome response. That answers the question.

I have used Vyper and Utorrent together. I only use Utorrent for very hard to find items. Since 99% of what I'm looking for is available via Giganews, I will discontinue using Utorrent.

Thanks for the info.
Dark_Falcon
n00b
n00b

Postby demotic » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am

Does the warning say that you've "uploaded"?
Or does it say that you've "downloaded" or "transferred" ?

if this did happen from merely downloading, via newsbin, then another theory might be this...

1) Some copyright holder reported to GN that certain items (Message IDs) violate copyright
2) GN deletes the material, but keeps a record of reported message IDs
3) You try to download via an NZB file, this triggers GN's list of "bad" message IDs
4) GN, to ensure they keep their "safe harbor" status, send you a warning

on the GN site, they tell copyright holders how to register a violation by message ID
http://www.giganews.com/legal/dmca.html
demotic
n00b
n00b

Postby Dark_Falcon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:29 am

My email said...

'Transferring copyrighted material...'

The explanation provided by quade makes perfect sense as I was guilty of doing exactly what he said (i.e. using Utorrent and VyprVPN). It makes sense that this is how it would be identified and how I would receive notices and no other 'normal' users (i.e. not using bittorrent / vypr).
Dark_Falcon
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:24 am

Download is Giga's bread and butter, I'm skeptical they can even track what you download because of the sheer volume. On the other hand, when they get a notice from a copyright holder that so and so's IP at such a time was torrenting, it's FAR easier to track you down. The takeaway is that giga does track when you use Vyper and what IP you were issued.

To me, the only way to do a "safe" torrent might be "Tor". Even then you don't know how safe it really is. If you were to Tor through vyper for example. I think you'd probably be pretty hard to find.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby toiler » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:42 pm

I received one as well. Never uploaded. I asked support for clarification, still waiting for a response.
toiler
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/18/10

Postby thomasz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Here's a reply:

We on the support team do not have any specifics on why the
notification/lock was triggered but it was not only for uploading but could
be for downloading any related copyrighted material as well.
thomasz
n00b
n00b

Postby sunishun » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 pm

I got the warning on Sept 30, also. They still haven't answered my question as to what it's about. I don't upload. I thought uTorrent was safe. I also use newzbin for usenet. This totally sucks.
sunishun
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/07

Postby sunishun » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 pm

So, downloading using NZB files results in...? I'm confused.

demotic wrote:Does the warning say that you've "uploaded"?
Or does it say that you've "downloaded" or "transferred" ?

if this did happen from merely downloading, via newsbin, then another theory might be this...

1) Some copyright holder reported to GN that certain items (Message IDs) violate copyright
2) GN deletes the material, but keeps a record of reported message IDs
3) You try to download via an NZB file, this triggers GN's list of "bad" message IDs
4) GN, to ensure they keep their "safe harbor" status, send you a warning

on the GN site, they tell copyright holders how to register a violation by message ID
http://www.giganews.com/legal/dmca.html
sunishun
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:46 pm

I think he's wrong. At least one person here has admitted to using torrent over the Vyper VPN so, I think it's torrents, not usenet that are triggering these messages. If you don't post and don't use torrents (like me) you probably won't get a message.

NZB's and torrents are completely different thing. Giganews doesn't know if you're using NZB's or headers when you download so, this has nothing to do with NZB's.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ace » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:38 am

Quade wrote:Someone on the IRC channel mentioned what this is probably about. Using bittorrent through VyperVPN. If you use Bittorrent, they have your IP,

Giganews has your IP no matter what you do when you use their VPN, right? They are supposed to keep other people from seeing your IP, so I assumed other people don't have it? If other people get your IP then isn't Giganews' claim misleading?

http://www.giganews.com/vyprvpn/
"With VyprVPN, all of your internet traffic, including web, email, and social media is fully encrypted to our VPN servers, and your IP address is hidden."

I would have interpreted to mean that ALL of my internet traffic was encrypted, and my IP address was hidden, even with torrents, (unless my torrent client was writing my IP in a way that the VPN couldn't hide it). And actually I think that's what it says or at least implies. If it does replace your IP in your bittorrent traffic as that implies, I suspect they have records to link it back to you so when GN gets the notice it could point to their VPN IP, then they track that back to you with their records? I'm not sure how that works, but that would have been my guess.

Quade wrote:To me, the only way to do a "safe" torrent might be "Tor". Even then you don't know how safe it really is. If you were to Tor through vyper for example. I think you'd probably be pretty hard to find.
According to this, that isn't such a good idea: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittor ... -good-idea

And according to this list of 5 ways to torrent anonymously, the first one on the list is to use a VPN, apparently like the Giganews VPN except they mention other VPN providers:

5 Ways To Download Torrents Anonymously
http://torrentfreak.com/5-ways-to-downl ... ly-100819/

So you get the idea from that that the VPN should have worked in protecting your IP from the bad guys, even if the folks that sent it don't know your IP, and only your VPN provider does. But when your VPN provider gets the notice, they have to do something with it, right? So they track it back you you and forward the notice to you, at least that's my guess.

The one I like from that list of 5 options is anomos, though it doesn't have critical mass yet, it's the most requested feature to add to uTorrent:

http://www.utorrent.com/community/ideabank
That should show the most requested uTorrent feature, I think, which is currently anomos. There is a client for it but it uses a different type of torrent file and I don't know if many people use it for that reason. But if uTorrent were to adopt it, it might gain enough critical mass where people could create the new type of torrent file that will run it. I don't know if that will happen but they have a fair number of votes for it. 3 of those votes came from me. Anybody who thinks it's a good idea can vote for it. I think it would be nice if they add it but I have no idea if they will.

And after discussing 5 ways to keep anonymous on torrents, they save the best option for last: usenet! ;)

It still seems to me that if you're just downloading and not uploading, usenet is one of your best bets.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 am

Giganews has your IP no matter what you do when you use their VPN, right? They are supposed to keep other people from seeing your IP, so I assumed other people don't have it? If other people get your IP then isn't Giganews' claim misleading?

- When you use the VPN, your local IP, the IP your ISP issued you, isn't used for accessing the internet. Instead you get an IP Giga issues you and all of your data comes from this IP.

- Data too and from this IP is encrypted. So your ISP can't see what you're doing.

- When you use torrents, anyone else downloading the same file gets your IP. It's how torrent works. If you're using the VPN, they get the IP Giga issued you.

- Copyright holders monitor torrents and record the IP of people who torrent. They then can track you back to, in this case Giga and giga gets a notice. Giga then forwards a notice to you. Understand that giga might or might not tell them who you are. I don't know what giga's policy is on this.

I don't see how torrent can work unless you expose yourself. Either by permitting inbound connections or by connecting to other torrent clients. It's how torrent works.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ace » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am

With that clarification we're on the same page, I suspect that's what happened. And I don't know if Giganews tells them who you are or not either.

I suspect you'd run in to the same problem no matter who your VPN provider is, if you use torrents.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Postby sunishun » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:46 pm

So, at the moment, there's no true safe way to download a torrent? That's not good.
sunishun
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Torrents have never been safe. If I had to use torrents, I do it through "Tor". It'll be slow but, you're unlikely to be tracked down.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby T_llguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm still waiting for a respnonce from Giga. I've cancelled my account as I don't think it's safe to use at this point.

Good luck to you all at this point I think the internet is about to change the way we used to use it.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Did you torrent through Vyper or not? You're throwing the baby out with the bath water if you ask me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby T_llguy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Quade wrote:Did you torrent through Vyper or not? You're throwing the baby out with the bath water if you ask me.

Yes used Vuse and was told it was safe and secure while using Vyper.....Don't think either statement is true at this time. I've had an account with Giga for 10+ years and they can't answer who complained? So I'll use the competitor until this gets sorted out.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby T_llguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:01 am

Quade wrote:They claim you're POSTING copyrighted material. You might want to contact giganews about this.

I don't understand where in that message that they think I'm uploading?
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 am

Well, so far the only people who seem to have gotten the notice have admitted to using torrents over the VPN. If you torrent copyrighted material, you're effectively posting it back to other torrent users. That's how torrent works. You have to read between the lines. Why would Giganews send you this notice unless they themselves were served with requests from someone else? I'm skeptical that Giga tracks what you download from the news server. If it came out that they did, there'd be a mass exodus to some other servers who don't track.

We have received multiple DMCA notices from copyright holders or their authorized agents that you, or someone using your account, have allegedly infringed their copyrights. Please stop immediately.

This says it all. Someone outside of giganews has sent notices to giganews that someone using the VPN is downloading copyrighted material. There's no way these 3rd parties could know what you downloaded from Usenet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby T_llguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Quade wrote:Well, so far the only people who seem to have gotten the notice have admitted to using torrents over the VPN. If you torrent copyrighted material, you're effectively posting it back to other torrent users. That's how torrent works. You have to read between the lines. Why would Giganews send you this notice unless they themselves were served with requests from someone else? I'm skeptical that Giga tracks what you download from the news server. If it came out that they did, there'd be a mass exodus to some other servers who don't track.

This says it all. Someone outside of giganews has sent notices to giganews that someone using the VPN is downloading copyrighted material. There's no way these 3rd parties could know what you downloaded from Usenet.

OK I finally get it, as I download through a torrent it automatically puts it up as I'm seeding. Now I get the connection. Just don't understand Giga telling me EVERYTHING IS safe so just go do what you want it's untraceable, unless they are tracing. Good way to do business......Sad I had a false sense of security due to their statements.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:19 am

Seeding has nothing to do with it. My feeling is that you don't understand how torrents work and that's why this hasn't been clear to you.

1 - Load a torrent into your program

2 - Your program will go to a tracker and get a list of IP addresses.

3 - You program will then connect to some of these IPs on the net and start downloading AND sharing at the same time.

4 - When the file finishes, you start seeding but, you've been leaking data the whole time you've been downloading the torrent so, seeding doesn't really matter. You're sharing from the moment you start the torrent till the time you remove it from your program.

ANY of these people your torrent program has been downloading from could be a plant, tracking your downloads. You seem to think Giga has thought this through. I'd be willing to believe they weren't expecting this either. I think you should be thanking Giga. They might not have told the copyright holder who you are. If they had, you could be looking at a fat lawsuit.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby viking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 am

I am trying to understand this:

1. I thought maybe naively that a VPN would change my IP address to one of the VPN servers' (and also prevent snooping on data-packets). Is this not the case? If not, what is the point of a VPN?
2. If the 3rd party finds your IP address why do they ask Giganews to send out a notice? How do they even know that the user is subscribed to Giganews...?
viking
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:11 am

Sure it changes the address but, apparently giga keeps a mapping.

- Copyright holder complains about a giganews address.
- Giganews maps that address to you from their logs
- Giganews sends you a notice.

The third party might not have your IP but, giga goes. I imagine a court order would force them to reveal it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby viking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:03 am

I am sorry, but I still do not understand..

Does the VPN (Vyprv) belong to Giganews (I thought that it was a separate company; Goldenfrog: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn)?
If it does indeed belong to Giganews, I can understand why the Copyright holder goes to Giganews.
viking
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:48 am

You get a notice from Giganews about something that happened through a "GoldenFrog" property. What does that tell you? It suggests to me that notices should have come from Goldenfrog but, didn't. I think that's another oversight on their part. I didn't even think of it either till just now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby T_llguy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Quade wrote:You get a notice from Giganews about something that happened through a "GoldenFrog" property. What does that tell you? It suggests to me that notices should have come from Goldenfrog but, didn't. I think that's another oversight on their part. I didn't even think of it either till just now.

If your a diamond user on Giga you get vyper free, just set it up using the same info from giga. So this all points back to giga as giving you something then pulling the rug out from under you IMHO. I guess if I bought the service from goldenfrog I would have gotten the notice from them and a cease and desist as well. I got one a year ago from my past internet provider. So I'm walking on egg shells at this point!

Thank you everyone that contributed to this VERY informative thread. (Especially Quade for explaining torrents and their failing points while using them).

T_llguy
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby viking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 am

T_llguy wrote:Thank you everyone that contributed to this VERY informative thread. (Especially Quade for explaining torrents and their failing points while using them).
T_llguy

In fact, on several forums they suggest using a VPN to be able use Torrents privately, w/o any trace-back to the original IP. This is apparently not true; at least not with vyprv.
Maybe it would be safer to use a VPN based outside the US. Not sure if they would still be liable to send out notices (depending on international treaties I guess)
viking
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby MoldyJacket » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 am

Just strolling by considering access to Usenet again (TWC cut us all off a while back thanks to New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo), and stumbled on this thread.

Apparently you guys haven’t heard of the US Copyright Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Copyright_Group) and their sidekick the German company GuardaLey.

I’ve never used torrents, for some reasons Quade mentioned but a whole lot more.

[Update] Sorry for the double post, but I just had to go back and track this one down: http://www.seattleweekly.com/2011-08-10 ... ittorrent/
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MoldyJacket » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 am

Stumbled on this article recently, seems particularly relevant to the discussion above:
http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi ... ly-111007/
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby KingFish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:20 am

ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 512MB EVGA GeForce GTX 670; Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA; Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s; MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
KingFish
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby MoldyJacket » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 pm

I suppose all the VPN and Usenet servers will eventually end up in Seychelles (LOL, the new Switzerland of the Internet). But seriously, I don’t think many realize yet the huge step taken in getting major US ISP Usenet servers shutdown (semi voluntarily, I might add) and what that implies for the long run.

In any case, if they want you bad enough they will ultimately track you down: http://www.informationweek.com/news/sec ... /231602248. I’m surprised the process was publicized in the first place; I’m sure the authorities could have accommodated HMA with a devised capture scenario from the information gathered.

Ironically the Internet was never designed for anonymity (quite the opposite), but that very perception is one of the major reasons so many are drawn to it. It’s really more about being one little insignificant fish among the huge shoal, even as the fishing nets grow larger.

On another note, perhaps this thread is more appropriate under the General Discussion forum? I find the topic fascinating and will probably tag it periodically as events unfold, but don’t want to be perceived as bumping others in need of assistance.

One last thing I feel obliged to mention just in case anyone is actually considering using Tor for personal torrenting, you won’t have many friends (if any) in the community. They really don’t have the bandwidth to spare for such selfish use of the virtual network.
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Then again, numerous arrests related to Anonymous have shown that many participants in denial-of-service attacks didn't take any steps to mask their IP address.

My interpretation is, some Anonymous users simply weren't taking enough precautions. For chat, there's no reason not to use Tor. Slow speed doesn't matter when you're just using IRC. Maybe Tor through a VPN. Security is hard. Many people who should, just don't bother.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MoldyJacket » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:47 am

Chat, Website and e-mail acceptable and recommended (VPN over Tor) for sensitive communication.
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MoldyJacket » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 am

So, any thoughts from DJI Interprises regarding the Senate Protect IP Act (S.968) and House of Representatives SOPA (H.R.3261) currently up for hearings in the US Congress? Plan to participate in American Censorship Day (http://americancensorship.org)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act

BTW: just curious, was Interprises a deliberate misspelling of Enterprises?
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby KingFish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I wonder how much enforcement there will be without the organizations that enforce copyright having to provide the funding needed to the cover the costs of identifying, prosecuting, penalizing, and imprisoning those who violate their copyrights? Or do they assume that such costs will be borne by the same taxpayers that might be in violation of their purchased legislation?

Raise the costs of copyrighted media to cover the costs of enforcement = An increase in the number of copyright violations in need of prosecution = an increase in the costs of prosecutions = the need to further increase the costs of copyrighted media to cover the costs of enforcement. I guess that we'll have to increase the amount of taxes we pay in order to fund our own prosecutions... Say what?

There are valid reasons for copyright law and enforcement. THE problem is the increased amount of time that media can now be protected by copyright primarily thanks to Disney.
ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 512MB EVGA GeForce GTX 670; Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA; Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s; MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
KingFish
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby MoldyJacket » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:13 pm

It has nothing to do with copyright for me; it’s about freedom. The same Congress that rebukes countries like China and Iran for censorship now plans to control the guts of Internet for all its citizens; simply for the benefit of the connected few at the expense of all.
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MoldyJacket » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:10 pm

As the saying goes no response is a response, and the silence is deafening. I believe DJI Interprises consists of three individuals, shouldn’t be too difficult to form a consensus. I found the position of OpenDNS best reflects my own view:
http://blog.opendns.com/2011/11/08/an-o ... rotect-ip/

I understand many people and technology companies avoid getting involved in the legislative process, but leaving these bills up to Congress without input is like letting a child play alone with the company computers. Making predictions is easy, getting them right is hard. Regardless of where you stand, all voices should be heard:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MoldyJacket » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:07 pm

The official US House Judiciary Committee’s SOPA (H.R.3261) proceedings:
http://judiciary.edgeboss.net/wmedia/ju ... 162011.wvx
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MoldyJacket » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Speak of the Devil:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57327 ... -internet/

I’ve never witnessed a bill just introduced move so quickly, has anyone seen any national network TV coverage? It’s strange that NBC and FOX websites return no relevant search results for “SOPA”, CBS and ABC produce two hits (one of ABC’s is simply a link to the MPAA’s video ad warning of rogue sites). I guess there is too much more important news since the Super Committee, Occupy movement and Penn State is really all the general public should be preoccupied with anyway.
MoldyJacket
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:40 pm

I made the same comment on IRC this morning. I went all through the Washington Post and couldn't find one word about it. Google took out a full page ad in the New York Times to try to bring attention to it. I have made comments in the approppriate forums giving a Virginia Congressman a hard time for sponsoring this bill when none of his constituents are interested in it and there are more important places for him to spend his time but feel it's a waste of time to discuss it in our forums. We have a global audience and this type of discussion will have more eyes in more appropriate places. Our forums are for technical issues mostly. We discuss damn near everything on IRC though. irc.newsbin.com #newsbin
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T_llguy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Just got another notification warning me about an August infraction? WTF is going on here?

This is a continuation Notice of Copyright Infringement.

The Copyright Agent for a copyright holder has again notified Giganews that you, or someone using your account, have allegedly infringed their copyright. This Copyright Notice references alleged infringements BEFORE you affirmed to Giganews that you will no longer infringe copyrights of others. As such, there is no action you need to take on your part.

When signing up for the Giganews's VPN service you agreed to our Terms of Service. Please review our Terms of service at the following URL:

http://www.giganews.com/aup.html

Transferring copyrighted material using Giganews's VPN service without permission of the copyright holder subjects your account to the following actions: immediate cancellation, suspension of VPN service, and forfeiture of any pre-paid money remaining on your account.
T_llguy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Next

Return to V5 Technical Support