AltBinaries.com is terrible

Help each other out if there is not a specific forum here for your news service. Discussion of news servers known to have problems, troubleshooting news server problems, other news service related issues.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

AltBinaries.com is terrible

Postby possamai » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 am

Hey,

I used altbinaries for a month and a half. First month was fine. Then my 'unlimited bandwidth' was suddenly capped to 10Mbps and my 30 connections were limited to 10.
I emailed support like 5 times but got absolutely no response.

So, don't believe what they say on their website. They're not really unlimited, and they sure as hell don't want your feedback to improve their service.

I read some posts on reddit that proved to me that this isn't exactly incidental so I dropped them and went back to UsenetServer.
possamai
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: AltBinaries.com is terrible

Postby nethead » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm

glad i saw this post; was about to drop usenetserver for altbinaries to get the free search feature
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby AltBinaries.com » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:02 am

I just saw this post due to the reply. I don't recall the client, but a sudden drop in connections usually comes from going over the connection limit of 30. As the client mentioned running at 30 connections normally, this can be a delicate situation on a fast connection. If one connection times out, or just plain errors, another can be opened before it is closed on the server side, resulting in a cascade of errors (the new one errors because it's over the limit so another one is spawned, and you wash, rinse, repeat most of your connection count).

Unfortunately, you're more likely to hit this the faster your connection is and it's easy to misinterpret it. If you know what it is, it's easy to fix by lowering the connections to 25 or so. Typically, the faster your Internet connection is the fewer connections you need to use to fill it up as you generally have a better route to begin with, so it shouldn't be an issue...if one knows what it is.

Not being able to talk with the user, I can't say for sure that that was what it was, but my money would be on that being the cause.

Any questions, we're here. And yes, we do want to hear from you. Image link not allowed for unregistered users

David
AltBinaries.com
AltBinaries.com
Official Alt.Binaries Representative

Postby possamai » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 am

You could have responded to one of the 5 support requests of course.
You eventually replied on my cancellation..

I also tried 15 connections for a while.. Even 11 just to see if it was really capped to 10.

Here's part of our email conversation, including the date so you can search your mail history and reply on the actual issue.

I suspected the route as well so I tried the US servers. Exactly the same speed.
Tried with and without SSL and on all available ports but no change. Always the same speed and connection limit...

On wo 10 aug. 2016 om 05:26 AltBinaries.com wrote <Accounts@altbinaries.com>:

•••

I am looking in to both the e-mail server logs to see what may have
happened there and the issue you described. The route you quoted is
incredible (sub 10 ms all the way). My first thought was that I envy
you, but that may actually be what is causing the issue. I am
attempting to replicate while accessing as your account, but my
suspicion is that extremely fast connection, article request,
disconnection, repeat likely artificially ran up the connection count
and blew the limit long before it actually would have been used.
Essentially, that the server's count was lagging behind realtime which
could have been intense.
This is typically seen in extremely bad routes where there is a lot
of lag, but in this case it could have been the server that was lagging
behind. Although, I am still trying to get the same results.
I would be glad to have your account refunded due to the issue and
obvious lack of response from our end.

Thank you,
Stuart Hahn
AltBinaries.com
possamai
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby BeeJay1944 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 pm

I have to agree with your comment "terrible". I signed up yesterday also thinking about saving with the free search. I noticed that many small files I was searching for appeared in the search results but were actually being downloaded by EasyNews who I am also subscribed to. In the server settings I had alt.binaries set at priority 1 and EN at priority 9 so a.b should have been the default downloader.
Today I removed EasyNews from my NewsBin software and did a search with alt.binaries as the only listed server. It returned 21 "finds" on a search I did. I marked the (small) files for download and clicked on "download". Every single file was returned as:

ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR:alt.binaries SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article [*****]

When the logging reached 500+ messages I stopped the attempted download and am now reinstating EasyNews in my NewsBin software.

Thank goodness it was only 8 USD wasted. I suppose there truly is no such thing as a "free lunch".
BeeJay1944
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/02/12

Postby AltBinaries.com » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:32 am

Thank you for the quote, I was able to find the e-mail history. I, quite frankly, have no idea what the root of what you were seeing was. We have never offered an account with a connection cap that low, and even the $6 account that you were on had a much higher limit.

It sounds like there was something wrong on our end, and my guess would be it was somehow associated with the sub 10 ms route mentioned and requests 'hammering' the server but this is pure guesswork this long after and wouldn't be a situation I would expect to cause problems to begin with.

I checked your billing history and the refund offer was not taken at the time. As you couldn't access the way you should have been able to, I have had your account refunded.

Thank you,
David

possamai wrote:You could have responded to one of the 5 support requests of course.
You eventually replied on my cancellation..

I also tried 15 connections for a while.. Even 11 just to see if it was really capped to 10.

Here's part of our email conversation, including the date so you can search your mail history and reply on the actual issue.

I suspected the route as well so I tried the US servers. Exactly the same speed.
Tried with and without SSL and on all available ports but no change. Always the same speed and connection limit...

On wo 10 aug. 2016 om 05:26 AltBinaries.com wrote <Accounts@altbinaries.com>:

•••

I am looking in to both the e-mail server logs to see what may have
happened there and the issue you described. The route you quoted is
incredible (sub 10 ms all the way). My first thought was that I envy
you, but that may actually be what is causing the issue. I am
attempting to replicate while accessing as your account, but my
suspicion is that extremely fast connection, article request,
disconnection, repeat likely artificially ran up the connection count
and blew the limit long before it actually would have been used.
Essentially, that the server's count was lagging behind realtime which
could have been intense.
This is typically seen in extremely bad routes where there is a lot
of lag, but in this case it could have been the server that was lagging
behind. Although, I am still trying to get the same results.
I would be glad to have your account refunded due to the issue and
obvious lack of response from our end.

Thank you,
Stuart Hahn
AltBinaries.com
AltBinaries.com

Postby AltBinaries.com » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:43 am

Do you recall the approximate age of the files? I realize you may not want to divulge this, but if you could send the search term to our support address, or example headers, I would like to look in to this further. EasyNews runs off of Highwinds, as do we, so this is not something that you should see.

Whether or not you feel comfortable sending that, please forward your username and I will have your account refunded. If you are having problems that are going to keep you from using your account, you don't need to be charged for it.

Thank you,
David

BeeJay1944 wrote:I have to agree with your comment "terrible". I signed up yesterday also thinking about saving with the free search. I noticed that many small files I was searching for appeared in the search results but were actually being downloaded by EasyNews who I am also subscribed to. In the server settings I had alt.binaries set at priority 1 and EN at priority 9 so a.b should have been the default downloader.
Today I removed EasyNews from my NewsBin software and did a search with alt.binaries as the only listed server. It returned 21 "finds" on a search I did. I marked the (small) files for download and clicked on "download". Every single file was returned as:

ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR:alt.binaries SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article [*****]

When the logging reached 500+ messages I stopped the attempted download and am now reinstating EasyNews in my NewsBin software.

Thank goodness it was only 8 USD wasted. I suppose there truly is no such thing as a "free lunch".
AltBinaries.com

Postby BeeJay1944 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:20 am

All the files were dated 21/08/2012 and were all sized between 775 KB and 2.1 MB. I have now been online to your site and cancelled my account with immediate effect. My user name was a11753.

Incidentally, when I logged in I noticed that there were supposed to be files waiting for download which I had tried to get using my web browser yesterday. I had found the files (they were ebooks) and when I clicked on download yesterday it said something like added to list. I could not find any list to download them from. Today on the site it said files waiting for download yet when I clicked on them they came up with the message, "Aborted - unwanted extension". The extension was .rar so I don't know how on earth you have any customers at all if you will not allow .rar files to download.

I have been using Usenet since last century and have gone through a great number of news server accounts. This is the very first time I have ever cancelled a service before the time/amount I had paid for was up.

AltBinaries.com wrote:Do you recall the approximate age of the files? I realize you may not want to divulge this, but if you could send the search term to our support address, or example headers, I would like to look in to this further. EasyNews runs off of Highwinds, as do we, so this is not something that you should see.

Whether or not you feel comfortable sending that, please forward your username and I will have your account refunded. If you are having problems that are going to keep you from using your account, you don't need to be charged for it.

Thank you,
David

BeeJay1944 wrote:I have to agree with your comment "terrible". I signed up yesterday also thinking about saving with the free search. I noticed that many small files I was searching for appeared in the search results but were actually being downloaded by EasyNews who I am also subscribed to. In the server settings I had alt.binaries set at priority 1 and EN at priority 9 so a.b should have been the default downloader.

BeeJay1944
n00b
n00b

Postby AltBinaries.com » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:27 am

That date makes me feel a little bit better, this is beyond our advertised retention of 1,200 days.

The messages about an unwanted extension means that your RAR file wasn't a RAR file. Or more specifically, it had something in it that looked a heck of a lot like a virus or outright spam. The web based interface does this to protect clients from unwittingly downloading an obvious virus or wasting their download time with known spam. Newsbin has a similar feature to protect users. Most of the clients that choose to use the web based interface are newer to Usenet and may not know what to watch for.

I would invite you to download these same files via Newsbin to see what was really in them. I trust that you would find that they were not what they pretended to be.

I am sorry we could not be of service and have had your account refunded.

Thank you,
David

BeeJay1944 wrote:All the files were dated 21/08/2012 and were all sized between 775 KB and 2.1 MB. I have now been online to your site and cancelled my account with immediate effect. My user name was a11753.

Incidentally, when I logged in I noticed that there were supposed to be files waiting for download which I had tried to get using my web browser yesterday. I had found the files (they were ebooks) and when I clicked on download yesterday it said something like added to list. I could not find any list to download them from. Today on the site it said files waiting for download yet when I clicked on them they came up with the message, "Aborted - unwanted extension". The extension was .rar so I don't know how on earth you have any customers at all if you will not allow .rar files to download.

I have been using Usenet since last century and have gone through a great number of news server accounts. This is the very first time I have ever cancelled a service before the time/amount I had paid for was up.

AltBinaries.com wrote:Do you recall the approximate age of the files? I realize you may not want to divulge this, but if you could send the search term to our support address, or example headers, I would like to look in to this further. EasyNews runs off of Highwinds, as do we, so this is not something that you should see.

Thank you,
David

AltBinaries.com

Postby BeeJay1944 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 am

Thank you very much for refunding my account, it is appreciated. Also, my apologies for attempting to download files beyond your advertised retention but it is very frustrating to find search results then to just receive the "no such article" messaqge when trying to download. This had obviously happened with all of the other files I had tried to download because as I said, successful downloads were only coming through via EasyNews and on checking the NewsBin Pro logs, they all had the alt.binaries failures listed and then EasyNews had been brought into action.

The files claiming to have "unwanted extensions", I downloaded today using NewsBin Pro software and Easynews as my server and they came through without problems - they were .rar files but perhaps the way they had been titled by the poster may have had some bearing on the aborted message. They were listed as: "Name of the Book by XXXXXX.[rar_COMPRESSED].rar"

Again, thanks for the refund.
Regards,
BJ

AltBinaries.com wrote:That date makes me feel a little bit better, this is beyond our advertised retention of 1,200 days.

The messages about an unwanted extension means that your RAR file wasn't a RAR file. Or more specifically, it had something in it that looked a heck of a lot like a virus or outright spam. The web based interface does this to protect clients from unwittingly downloading an obvious virus or wasting their download time with known spam. Newsbin has a similar feature to protect users. Most of the clients that choose to use the web based interface are newer to Usenet and may not know what to watch for.

I would invite you to download these same files via Newsbin to see what was really in them. I trust that you would find that they were not what they pretended to be.

I am sorry we could not be of service and have had your account refunded.

Thank you,
David
BeeJay1944
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 am

BeeJay1944 wrote:ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR:alt.binaries SendCommand - Failed: 430 no such article [*****]

As David pointed out, the posts in question were beyond the advertised retention of the Alt.Binaries service. To avoid this situation you can set a "Typical Retention" in Newsbin for this server so Newsbin will know not to use this server for older posts. Go under Options -> Servers, select the Alt.Binaries server entry, then click the "Really Advanced" button. The option is called "Use Typical Retention" and you'll want to set it to 1200.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:55 am

They were listed as: "Name of the Book by XXXXXX.[rar_COMPRESSED].rar"

Pretty sure this is viral spam. Particularly if it says "compressed" in the filename or subject. That's part of the scam. They try to explain away why the files are too small to actually be the content.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby cosmo4u » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:07 pm

So far ive had success with AltBinaries. I am curious about the free search though. i have been paying the $15 and dont mind to continue to pay it if I have to I just thought it became free after I signed up. If this is not the case then disregard this message. If it is true then im not sure why I was just billed. I signed up on Oct. 25
FYI I associated my key when asked.

Thanks as usual newsbin crew

cosmo4u
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Postby dexter » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Glad to hear Alt.Binaries is working well for you.

You have to manually cancel your search subscription with us. I did not build any logic into the system to detect if you picked up Alt.Binaries and still had an active search subscription. Contact me through the technical support form and we can straighten it out. http://www.newsbin.com/contact.php
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jim660 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:32 am

AltBinaries is superb since joining them several months ago.
Here in The U.K. downloading from The Netherlands, maxes my 200Mb.
Jim660
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/23/12

Return to News Servers