some issues with 5.04

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

some issues with 5.04

Postby nubis » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:00 pm

Hi all,

in V5.04 B5982 I always can crash Newsbin by deleting the last item of the scratch list. It happens all the time on my system, can someone confirm this?

Also I have problems reading the post body.
The message isnt displayed in the big read window.
A workaround is to click on "Show headers", because this triggers a screen refresh and the message is displayed.

One problem though is that clicking on "Show headers" seems to set the currently selected message to the first message. This means you can't read the second message because (by using the screen refresh trick with show headers) the cursor always jumps back to the first message.
As a workaround for this, I delete all messages except for the one that I want to read, then click on "show headers" to finally display it.
nubis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby dexter » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:54 pm

If you are going to run 5.04, run the latest version. There were 5 more iterations after build 5982, your problems may not exist in 6013. You can download it from the Beta Download section.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Yep, I can repro the "delete last item on Scratch list" crash. Doesn't happen the first time for me, usually the seond or third. Haven't had a chance to test on the latest/greatest, though.

The RPB issue has been there for a while. Tough to give it a kick, as you've discovered. Another option is to save it out as a text file, if you don't want to delete existing posts(right mouse button over the post). That works fine.

Vast majority of issues with wine/NB seem to be redraw issues. Something somewhere gives Windows a legit instruction to redraw, but for some reason it doesn't work in wine.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby nubis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:35 am

Thanks for your reply.
Both of the problems I mentioned still exist in V5.04 B6013 (the latest version).
nubis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:48 am

These are examples of problems that exist under linux but not windows. Quade it kindof shooting in the dark to try to fix for linux. Sometimes it magically gets fixed, sometimes he finds something that is wrong and windows is just more forgiving so it works.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Linux