Problem with registration.

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Problem with registration.

Postby akshtray » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:21 pm

I was able to install Newsbin 5.05 fine on my FC4 system with Cedega and was able to start it and set the news servers up fine. However, the moment I try to enter my registration information along with the key in there it just appears to freeze up on me.

This happened twice yesterday and drove me insane because it seems that I can install it flawlessly but it just freezes when I try to register it.

While reading the sticky today I did notice a mention of the DLL's but dont know if it is still relevant with the new versions of Newsbin or not. I will try the same after moving the dll's over and see if it helps. But will appreciate if anyone has any input regarding the same.

Anyone else here encountered the same issue registering Newsbin with Cedega?

Thanks.
akshtray
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/06/05

Postby DThor » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:27 pm

It's possible Cedega provides some of the relevant dlls, or worse, an older one. When I run vanilla wine, Newsbin(the latest) simply won't run at all without those two files, so I guess Cedega must have snagged at least one as part of their distribution in order to get you as far as an actual GUI.

I'm not sure what you're running Cedega for, but you could try putting the two latest dll's in there and I'm guessing it would run fine. How that affects other things that Cedega is designed to run, I'm not sure - just hang on to any old ones you may find to be safe.

I've always had the best results running plain ol' vanilla wine, myself. You might want to consider doing that for NB - it co-exists just fine because it uses a different directory.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby akshtray » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks DThor.

So you think that I should be able to install wine even though I have cedega without any problems and that they shouldnt interfere with each other as they are in different directories?

Also, I just ssh'd into my box at home and looked at:

$HOME/.cedega/Dot TransGaming/c_drive/windows/system32 and checked for the two DLL's:

mfc42.dll -- Already there. Size is 995383 bytes
msvcp60.dll -- Not there.

Not sure if I should just copy the latest copies of those two files from my wife's XP Pro box or just the missing once (msvcp60.dll).

Thanks.
akshtray
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 pm

Cedega and vanilla wine definitely co-exist...Cedega takes pains to install to it's own subdirs.

However, if you really like Cedega, then my bet is you could safely copy over the two from your wife's PC and it will work fine. Just hang on to that existing mfc42.dll in case of future troubles. In a perfect world, it would be nice if you could have everything happy under one package.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby akshtray » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:38 pm

In a perfect world, it would be nice if you could have everything happy under one package.

Ha ha. But then again .. in a perfect world we would all use Linux and all games and applications would be automatically catered towards it .. :P

Thanks again.
akshtray
n00b
n00b

Postby akshtray » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Hey DThor,

Cedega refuses to get Newsbin to work. However, I installed Wine and moved the DLLs over and it works like a charm. However, my issue is not with regard to how the client looks.

It seems like the toolbar is "squished" --- for lack of a better word.

The icons on the toolbar are basically reduced to 1/4th in size. Any ideas about that?

Thanks.
akshtray
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:54 pm

No, sorry, that's a mystery. I happen to run my Linux NB on a 1600x1200 desktop, so it's possible I suppose it is scrunched that much and it's not particularly noticable, but I doubt it. Maybe an xorg issue? I'm running 6.8.2 here. I know some people that upgraded to v7 and had some funky issues - certain files got relocated in the distro.

I'd probably try to see if it's uniformly funky across various desktop resolutions.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to Linux