Have Installed 4.3 with Crossover Office Pro

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Have Installed 4.3 with Crossover Office Pro

Postby rsmits » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:08 am

I've just installed version 4.3 with Crossover Office Pro. It didn't seem to have any issues except the MOTD being blank, but i just turn it off anyway.

How much difference is there between version 5 and version 4.3?

Is it worth trying to install?

Bob.
rsmits
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:57 am

I'm unsure if you mean generically, or on Linux. Most users agree that v5 is much superior to v4 - more flexible and interactive. Don't take our word for it, though - it runs fine on linux(although I admit I run it in vanilla wine) as long as you read the HOWTO sticky posted in this forum. Be sure to install it in a different directory than v4(it defaults to that), read the v4->v5 guide in the docs mentioned in my sig below, and give it a shot. If there's a specific feature you just can't live without only in v4 you can always just continue using that without any impact from the v5 install.

IMHO the single most profound improvement is that every operation is more "granular" now - you're not stuck with one connection downloading one file - each chunk transfer, Read Post Body, Download Header is a separate process, and each connection can be interrupted after those operations to change what you want on the fly. There's also huge memory improvements.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

re:Have Installed 4.3 with Crossover Office Pro

Postby rsmits » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Yes, installing it with Linux was what I meant. I'll try to do it when I get home this afternoon.

I switched to Linux a long time ago, and it's nice having Newsbin back.

Thanks, Bob
rsmits
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Linux