how are things runnin on the linux side these days?

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

how are things runnin on the linux side these days?

Postby newsraider » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 pm

i am finally going to make the jump to linux and wanted to know how things are working of late. i've kinda been reading mixed results of late on how well it runs under wine. im going to be using Ubuntu. any problems using the latest build of newsbin?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Postby DThor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm always running the bleeding edge of Newsbin and rarely have troubles. One key thing is to have a very recent version of wine running. Apart from that, be sure to snag the dlls I mentioned in the sticky "Newsbin on Linux" in this forum.

Known issues off the top of my head:

The coloured chunk download blocks in the download tab don't draw at all. Quade and Dex were stumped on that one since nothing seemed to change that was related to that code when it appeared on the wine end.

Sometimes there are annoying focus issues, for example the mouse might get stuck when hovering over posts as if you're selecting and holding the shift key down. Other times getting the right click menus to pop take a couple of tries, and regions of activity seem a little wonky. These things happen sporadically, not always, and seem related to wine.

If you really need the MOTD you'll need to install the explorer dcom stuff in wine. Some wine installs make that harder than others.

Other than that, it works quite well for me. I've installed notepad and it RPB just fine - even the thumbnail tab works!

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby newsraider » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:25 pm

none of that sounds bad at all. i never use the motd anyway so no loss there.
by reading over at the unbuntu and other linux forums they made it sound like newsbin will barley run at all and suggest using other programs :?:

but i have too much of a man crush on newsbin i could can never leave :D

thanks for the feedback.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Return to Linux