program already running.. closing

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

program already running.. closing

Postby newsraider » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:02 pm

i have installed unbuntu 6.10 and install wine and am trying to get newsbin going. i did the install with wine and it made the directory and made a link to newsbin on the desktop and i clicked on it and went to asking me for my news settings well after that it closed because i didnt have the dll loaded so went and got those and put them in the system directory, but now it wont open at all. the computer is crunching like it will open something, but never does and then i get a message saying already running and it has to close.

any ideas?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Postby itimpi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:19 pm

It sounds as if there is already a NBPro process left running in the background. This needs to be killed before you can start another one.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DThor » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Definitely as you're getting things setup, run wine from the command line, not via icons("wine nbpro.exe" should do it). It tends to answer some questions like this. itimpi might be right in that the older wine session is still active, and it tends to collide with the later. Sometimes it doesn't shut down cleanly. Otherwise it might give you a useful message. Once things are running smoothly, using the taskbar icons, etc should work fine.

The version of the dll's are relevant - make sure they're recent and not the one's you get from most linux wine sites. Use a real windows install.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby newsraider » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:06 am

ok got things running and it was the dll files that were giving me problems. i downloaded them from the web, but then after you said that i went back and got them from my xp partition and it runs now :D

thanks

8)
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Return to Linux