Newsbin Crashes and Hangs

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Newsbin Crashes and Hangs

Postby Cyber-Wizard » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:02 pm

Anyone else having trouble with Newsbin 5.35 Build 8142? I've just completed a fresh install of Suse 10.3 x86-64 on a brand new machine. Initially it was running Wine 0.9.44 and after installing 5.35 I was getting frequent crashes. Not that I got much farther, but it seemed to crash whenever I created a new folder in my group list. After poking around on the forum for a bit, I upgraded Wine to 0.9.52 and reinstalled Newsbin. Now Newsbin doesn't crash anymore, but it freezes up good. Strangely enough, I can still force Newsbin to close via the window manager as opposed to killing the PID.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I copied the XP dll's from my working installation on my old computer (Suse 10.1, Wine 0.9.35, NBPRO 5.33 Build 7737) where everything is fully functioning but that didn't improve anything.

Has anyone any advice? I'm certain that there's something that I've missed.
Cyber-Wizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/06

Postby DThor » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:49 pm

Hmmm, I'm running it on SUSE 10.2 x86-64 with no troubles, so nothing springs to mind. I have a laptop at work running a dual boot with your release so if I get a chance later next week I'll give it a shot. If you haven't done it already, try renaming $HOME/.wine and run the installer with a brand new fresh wine system and don't add any of the dlls, see if that helps.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Cyber-Wizard » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:49 pm

No Joy. I renamed the .wine directory and did a full reinstall but still got the same result.

I yanked out that newly created .wine directory and did a full reinstall with 5.33 Build 7737 and now I have no problems at all. I would really like to move forward as 5.33 still entertains some of the graphical glitches that I noticed were not present in the few minutes that I ran 5.35.
Cyber-Wizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/03/06

Postby DThor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:54 am

Interesting. Well, now you've got it installed, you should be able to just keep installing the newer builds over top without trouble. I run new betas(internal and external) as they come out, that typically translates to two or more cuts a week, and I haven't seen a sudden catastrophic increase in crashes(i.e. none) for many months. When I get back to my linux environment I'll try the latest, but I'm suspecting if you get problems again it's related to the wine build(which, in the end, is always the case).

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby newsraider » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 am

im using build 8142 on ubuntu 7.10 64 bit with no problems at all.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Postby manish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 am

I am also having the similar problem. Here are my system specs:

PCLinuxO/S 2007; Wine v. 0.9.50 (I know it's older, but this is the default via Synaptic Pkg. Mngr); NBPro v.5.35 Build 8142 (trial version - currently on day 1)

I followed the setup instructions on this forum. I did not copy the .dll files (from a MS Windows install) since I read that the newer version of NBPro has fixed this need.

NBPro will start up fine. I went to the "Options" and unchecked the MOTD, but NBPro still shows this on startup. Also, sessions do not get saved. And after a while (it varies, probably on random commands), the application hangs and I then close the window (from the top right corner) and then a "Terminate or Keep Running" dialog box appears. I then continue to click terminate.

Also, I have recently installed PCLinuxOS (3 months old). The only driver I have updated so far was the NVIDIA FX (169.09).

Can anyone help or provide other advice?
manish
n00b
n00b

Return to Linux