slow speeds on VirtualBox (Host: Slackware, guest:WinXP)

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

slow speeds on VirtualBox (Host: Slackware, guest:WinXP)

Postby okoolo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi, I'm running newsbin on Windows Xp in Virtual Box(2.0.4) hosted on slackware

but I'm getting download speeds of 100-130 KB/s on average, where on Windows I'm getting 1.2-1.5 MByte/s... I've run test speeds on both client & host (WinXP, slackware)
and they're fine.. folder sharing between host & client runs fine, Internet in general runs fine too ..

tried changing the Virtual box network adapters to pc-net fast III to pc-net fast II but no difference .. also tried attaching to both NAT and host interface, but it also made no difference ..

ah almost forgot ... running newsbin 552 rc1.. same thing on the older version..
any ideas?

ok .. fixed by reloading my rtl8180 modules and re running./rc.inet1 .. I believe the 8180 module is somehow the problem (weird as I rebooted bunch of times)
okoolo
n00b
n00b

Postby newsraider » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:38 am

have you tried running newsbin on wine? works great :D
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Postby DThor » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:42 am

A quick google reveals a *lot* of people having slow network issues with Virtual Box - looks like a problem area. If you're determined to stick with it, I would be prowling more around the Virtual Box forums, you're more likely to at least find comfort in company.

As newsraider suggests, wine is a better option - far smaller footprint and it works quite well. If you're really into testing VMs, I would try VMWare , it's pretty damned good, and Newsbin will work full throttle under it.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

figured it out ...

Postby okoolo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 pm

turns out the my network card module (rtl8180) was pretty flaky .. the moment I switched to ndiswrapper things improved dramatically

as to wine, I couldn't get it to work at all, which was why I tried virtualbox

I'm actually thinking about giving qemu a try as it supposed to be much faster then VBox ...

thanks guys
okoolo
n00b
n00b

Postby newsraider » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:32 am

well i guess using a virtual isn't a bad idea if there are several programs you want to run in windows and will be spending a lot of time in it. if your just looking to use newsbin. i would troubleshoot the wine save all that extra resources.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Return to Linux