Recovery from Linux Fail

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Recovery from Linux Fail

Postby Bill_M » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 am

Not a problem with Newsbin but a Linux upgrade that went bad. I ended up re-installing Linux but figured I was safe beacuse I had all my Newsbin files on another disk. Did not go as well as I expected - Newsbin did not seem to be downloading new headers and the system would freeze at times. May have been my not updating the nbi file correctly or permissions on the disk. But I ended up re-installing Newsbin and want to recover my data so a few questions:

1. I set my DataPath to a folder called Data under the new Newsbin folder and copied the files that the new install created under Application Data/Newsbin to that folder. Changed the nbi and it appears to work. Any possible problems with this configuration?

2. Newsbin seems to want to keep the GuiItems.db3 file in the Application Data/Newsbin folder. Any way I can move that over to the new DataPath and make it stick?

3. I want to move over the files from the DataPath in my old installation to the new DataPath. Apart from headers, I think the only one I really need is the download signatures. Any others I should or should not move?

4. Headers - I'd really like to recover those that I have - tens of gigabytes. Any cautions before I start? What is the best approach: add the group in Newsbin, exit then copy the files over OR copy the folder over, run Newsbin and add the group?

Thanks for any advice. I've been using Newsbin for years with no problems. Even this time seems to be "user error".

Bill
Bill_M
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/02

Re: Recovery from Linux Fail

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 am

1 - Off the top of my head I see no problem.

2 - Guitems stays in a common path so. Newsbin can always find it. It contains backups of the configuration files and some other stuff. These days the GUI layout is mostly in Workspace.xml in the data folder.

3 - Headers, signature, downloads.db3, filters.db3 (if you use filters).

4 - I'd copy the spool_v6 file over, then add the groups as you do. You can add them using a text editor too. NBI file has a groups section. Just list them there then start Newsbin.

The key to how this works is

1 - Registry points to current NBI file.

2 - Current NBI file points to the data and download folders.

So from that, you can see the NBI file can be anywhere and the data/download folders can also point anywhere.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Recovery from Linux Fail

Postby Bill_M » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 pm

OK sounds like it should be easy. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the quick response.

Bill
Bill_M
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/02

Return to Linux