Quick Test of version 6.80 beta 5

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Quick Test of version 6.80 beta 5

Postby Bill_M » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Thought I would try the latest beta version. I usually do not install betas but you seemed to want more eyes on it. It seems to work except for one strange problem. It acts like there is no internet connection. Nothing in the MOTD dialog. Any downloads never made any progress. I forgot to write down the error message but it was something about generic communications failure. I could not find anything in settings regarding connecting to the internet. Any suggestions on where I should be looking? Only change I made before installing was changing Wine from Windows XP to Windows 7. Re-installing 4.73 over 4.80 returned everything back to normal. Hope this helps.

Running on Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Wine 1.6.2

Bill M
Bill_M
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/02

Re: Quick Test of version 6.80 beta 5

Postby Bill_M » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21 am

Looks like I am late with this. I just looked at the beta support section and this problem was already reported. But I could not tell if it was really a 32 bit version problem. When I install newsbin it says found 64 bit OS. But I am not sure if wine supports all the 64 bit calls. Especially the old version I use. Have you found the cause yet?

Bill M
Bill_M
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/02

Re: Quick Test of version 6.80 beta 5

Postby dexter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 am

Yes, the problem was associated with the 32 bit build but could also have the same symptoms on wine. 6.80RC6 should be up in the next few days, give that one a try when it becomes available. There will be announcement in the Beta Support forum.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Linux