Matching a "reject filename" gives Post Purged mes

Tips on writing regular expressions for searching the post list

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Matching a "reject filename" gives Post Purged mes

Postby OldBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:10 am

I want to reject filenames which begin with one or more exclamation marks. I first tried using a regex to match just one leading ! and then I tried a regex to match multiple leading !'s.

If I use this as a filename filter: ^!
then I get a yellow icon and the header goes into NB's Failed Files list. The status is Downloaded.

OTOH if I use this as a filename filter: ^!+
then I get a yellow icon and the header goes into NB's Failed Files list. However the status is Post Purged.

Post Purged tell me not the article is no longer available so if for some reason I had wanted to double check the article and see it then I would not bother trying because NB tells me (incorrectly) that it is no longer on any of my servers.

Is this a bug? Are there other regexes I could use instead of ^!+ which would work in NB in the same way as ^! works?
OldBoy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: Matching a "reject filename" gives Post Purged

Postby Pyrohydra » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:46 pm

OldBoy wrote:OTOH if I use this as a filename filter: ^!+
then I get a yellow icon and the header goes into NB's Failed Files list. However the status is Post Purged.

What version are you using? That sounds like an older bug where Newsbin would show the error from the first server, even if the file failed for a different reason. Ex: post is purged from the first server, is found to be a duplicate on the second server, Newsbin would show the Signature icon with "Post Purged" status. This should be fixed in the latest version.
Pyrohydra
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/03

Re: Matching a "reject filename" gives Post Purged

Postby OldBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:59 pm

Pyrohydra wrote:
OldBoy wrote:OTOH if I use this as a filename filter: ^!+

What version are you using? That sounds like an older bug where Newsbin would show the error from the first server, even if the file failed for a different reason. Ex: post is purged from the first server, is found to be a duplicate on the second server, Newsbin would show the Signature icon with "Post Purged" status. This should be fixed in the latest version.

I am using quire a recent version - 4.3.1
OldBoy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:39 pm

It is still an issue. If you don't see 423 or 430 errors in the status messages screen when you receive a "Post Purged" error message then don't believe it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Regular Expressions