Nonmatching filters

Tips on writing regular expressions for searching the post list

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Nonmatching filters

Postby coderwolf » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 am

I am having trouble getting some filters to match. Could someone please let me know why the following combinations will not match:
Code: Select all

Don't post about specific downloads.

Could someone show me what I am missing in trying to get my filters to be more accurate.
coderwolf
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/03/06

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:58 am

When I have two words I might want to match in the same subject, I typically

"some.*text"

Use a .* to match all intervening items.

As for the single word filters, they should be matching.. I use lots of single word filters myself. Anything you enter in a filter profile, you can test in a post list first so "walton" for example in the post list will show you what matches.

In the filter profiles, you'll want to use subject matching, not filenaname.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby coderwolf » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:50 am

Quade wrote:When I have two words I might want to match in the same subject, I typically

"some.*text"

Use a .* to match all intervening items.

As for the single word filters, they should be matching.. I use lots of single word filters myself. Anything you enter in a filter profile, you can test in a post list first so "walton" for example in the post list will show you what matches.

In the filter profiles, you'll want to use subject matching, not filenaname.

I dont know if this would make any difference (from a bug perspective), but I am still running 5.32 build 7606. I am useing subject filters. I am just perplexed that the items are not matching. I do remembember testing some of the items the way you mentioned, but I dont remember if I tested these useing that method or not.
I became frustrated enough with this to try sets composed of the upper and lowercase items(ie [wW]) when that is all I could find being the difference. I think in the past I have even tried a * for the letter that may be capitaliized to no avail. It is primarily that I am not so proficient with regular expressions and this being frustrating, that is why I was looking for a little guidance from one more experienced than I.
coderwolf
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:01 pm

It's all case independent matches.

What's the chance you'll filling in the profile but, not assigning it to the group? You can load a group up at any time, then use the profile dropdown to apply it to the group and see how it filters. I'm not seeing anything here that suggests matching doesn't work. I'm just wondering if you expections of how it's supposed to work, don't match the way I coded it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby coderwolf » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:38 am

Quade wrote:It's all case independent matches.

What's the chance you'll filling in the profile but, not assigning it to the group? You can load a group up at any time, then use the profile dropdown to apply it to the group and see how it filters. I'm not seeing anything here that suggests matching doesn't work. I'm just wondering if you expections of how it's supposed to work, don't match the way I coded it.

The way I normally do it(at this point in time) is to have no filter applied to the group (or group of groups), after this I apply the filter to the view by the drop down above the results in the group tab.

Therefore the filter is being applied to a 'clean' view window. I have not played enough to figure out how multiple layerd reg expression filters may interact, so I err on the side of caution :)
coderwolf
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Regular Expressions