Filters: What is maximum number of characters allowed?

Tips on writing regular expressions for searching the post list

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Filters: What is maximum number of characters allowed?

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I've encountered problems with a couple of filters which seems to involve the use of too many characters.

What is the maximum number of characters which can be used for Newsbin's Subject/Filename (Both those saved, and those input in the search box), Rejected Posters, and Watch filters?

One example (with '*' used in place of profanity):

(amateur|amatuer|bangd|banged|beautiful|beauty|broke|cute|exploited|filmed|f****|f*****|hot|lovely|new|nice|nude|owned|poor|pretty|sexy|skint|tricked|young) SPACE INSERTED BETWEEN PARENTHESES
(babe|chick|coed|girl|hoe|lady|skank|slut|teen|teeen|whore) SPACE INSERTED BETWEEN PARENTHESES (abby|aimee|alicia|allie|amanda|amber|america|ana|andie|andrea|angel|angela|angelica|anna|arena|ashley|ashlynn|aspen|audrey|autumn|ava|bailybrooksbrandi|barbera|bella|blanca|bonnie|brianna|brit|carmen|casey|charity|charlie|chasey|chrissie|dahlia|danielle|deena|elle|fallon|giavonna|geena|ginger|hillary|irena|isabel|jessica|jewelz|joanie|kathy|kristie|lacey|leeann|leighann|lilith|lindsay|lynne|mackenzee|maryannbailey|michellea|nicole|page|paula|petra|raina|riley|sabree|salena|stephanie|sunny|taylor|tia|tiffanie|torrie|trina|xtina)

This example worked until I recently added some additional names to the third field. I don't remember how many more names I added but instead of testing further I thought I should first determine if there is a maximum number of characters which can be used.

A definitive answer, as well as any constructive thoughts, comments or suggestions, will be appreciated.

Thank you.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Re: Filters: What is maximum number of characters allowed?

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Hmm how about "I don't know". That's pretty definitive.

You list shouldn't really be pushing it though.

(BLA|GAH) (HOME|Cheese)

can be read

(BLA OR GAH) AND (HOME OR Cheese) The space is an implicit and.

I'll have to think about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Filters: What is maximum number of characters allowed?

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Thank you, but I've no doubt that you've more important matters to deal with.

I'll return to the drawing board to if I can figure it out on my own.

Thanks again.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Return to Regular Expressions