Search saving and search tab labels

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

Search saving and search tab labels

Postby Ain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

I've just started using Newsbin again after using Newsleecher for the last few years, and there are a few features that I feel would really improve Newsbin. Namely, I'd like to see search tabs labeled with their current search, and I'd also like a way to save search results or at least have an easily browsable history of recent searches. It'd also be nice to have a separate text box for searching within results (I know you can use the main search box to do this, it's just less than ideal in my opinion), and maybe an option to have new searches open in new tabs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these ideas? Have they been suggested before?
Ain
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/18/04

Re: Search saving and search tab labels

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 pm

You can generate watch lists in Newsbin to collect hits from the search engine then when you display the watch list, it'll act like a group.

Just be careful if you don't have an unlimited account to turn down how often search updates. You can run through all your searches in 2 days if you leave it checking at the default 30 minute rate.

The drop down in the search tab lists prior searchs. That's not sufficient?

The problem with a different search box is simply space. Dex and I have been discussing whether it's time to toss the current UI and re-do. We're thinking it's about that time. That would be a good time to tweak this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Search saving and search tab labels

Postby Ain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm

I honestly hadn't looked at watch lists, so thanks for pointing those out. They seem like they'll be perfect for topics I want to keep track of.

I saw that you can look through old searches in the drop down menu, it just seemed a bit messy. But watch lists look like they're a fine solution to what I had in mind, anyway.

It would still be nice to see the search tabs include the search term, but I can see how that might take up too much space with how things are laid out right now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Ain
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/18/04

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders