Confused and in need of help

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

Confused and in need of help

Postby Coolhandflex » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Up until yesterday, I was using Newsbin Pro to download data, Usenet Server (Gibinews before that and Giganews before that) to pay to download the data and NZB Matrix to browse for the data. Anyway, since NZB Matrix has now closed, I am a little confused.

Ideally, I would like to use one website to browse for the files and to register with to download them (I apologised if this is dumbed down a bit). Usenet Server has a search function but it lets you search for newsgroups (I am not sure what they are) rather than actual files. When I search for NZB Matrix alternatives it seems to similar sites are closed to new members or very basic and nowhere near as good as NZB Matrix. I saw on the Giganews that they have a search program/app called Mimo but that it just in the beta stage by the look of it.

Could anyone make any recommendations as when it all worked I was fine but now I have changed providers a couple of times and now one of mine has bitten the dust, I am unclear as to what each term means i.e. Newsreader, Usenet, Indexing Site, Newsgroup etc etc

Thanks Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Coolhandflex
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: Confused and in need of help

Postby Coolhandflex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Anyone ?
Coolhandflex
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Coolhandflex wrote: I am unclear as to what each term means i.e. Newsreader, Usenet, Indexing Site, Newsgroup etc etc

This might help: http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/New_to_Usenet

As for your other questions, there are other posts in the forums asking the same thing. Newsbin's Usenet Search function will find content posted to Usenet, you just have to know what you are looking for.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Coolhandflex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for the link - I will have a read up.
Regarding your second comment, I have had a look and you mean I can use NewsBin Pro to search for AND download the files ? I just searched for something and it is now downloading. I do not have to pay anything extra to NewsBin as I already subscribe to Usenet Server ? I don't know if you are/were familiar with NZBMatrix but the search function within NewsBin Pro seems quite basic compared to that i.e. you cannot search for particular types of files (BRRIP, DIVX etc) and there is no facility to read people's comments on the quality of the files ?
Coolhandflex
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Newsbin Internet Search is an optional service we provide for an additional fee. More information here:

http://www.newsbin.com/isearch.php

You can search on any keyword that shows up in the subject of a post on Usenet. Our search database is completely automated and we have no control over the content available on Usenet.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby faris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 am

Is there an option so that when running a beta version you are informed there is a new beta version released ?
NL pops up a message that a new beta is available when you start NL beta.
faris
faris
n00b
n00b

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders