First day user moving over from Newsleecher

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

First day user moving over from Newsleecher

Postby deloppoled » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 am

Hello.

I've been using Newsleecher for quite a while and was fairly satisfied with the software, in fact I left due to their billing department, not the software itself. Before NL I used a number of other readers, probably tried Newsbin sometime between accessing Usenet to actually message with others via Telnet or accessing it via Gopher--I am very old!

The main reasons that I have chosen Newsbin are longevity and search capability. I've spent the better part of the evening playing around with Newsbin and am sure that I've made the proper choice, albeit a little later than I probably should have--right right no bashing NL, sorry!

I just have a question about searching in Newsbin. I am sure that it works and that I am probably doing something wrong so I thought that I'd ask.

The following is an example NL search term that I used to use and I am wondering if it is possible to translate that to Newsbin? The search is about 300 characters long.

Code: Links not allowed for unregistered users
. -"00-" -"00_" -"000_" -2012 -2013 -2014 -"01-" -"6581.nfo" -ps3 -xbox -wii -1080p -720p -osx -hdtv -psp -android -pda -comic -PDTV -linux -HDTV -NTSC -DVDR -danish -french -russian -spanish -japanese -german -webrip -xxx -"[ ANIME ]" -"[ MOVIE ]" -"[ MUSIC ]" -"[ TV ]" -"x264" -dvdrip -"instant.pda" -ebook -"emag.nfo" -"ke.nfo" -"int3nsity.nfo" -"noy.nfo" -"remastered" -"debt.nfo" -"vinyl" -"-6581" -".apple." group:alt.binaries.town poster:"Profess0r" maxdays:4

Looks crazy, I know but like I said, it did get me exactly what I was looking for. I've done some editing to make it more Newsbin(y) syntax and trimmed it down to the following, but still have Newsbin telling me there are no results--

* -"00-" -"00_" -"000_" -2012 -2013 -2014 -"01-" -"6581.nfo" -ps3 -xbox -wii -1080p -720p -osx -hdtv -psp -android -pda -comic -PDTV -linux -HDTV -NTSC -DVDR -danish -french -russian -spanish -japanese -german -webrip -xxx -"[ ANIME ]" -"[ MOVIE ]" -"[ MUSIC ]" -"[ TV ]" -x264 -dvdrip -instant.pda -ebook -emag.nfo -ke.nfo -int3nsity.nfo -noy.nfo -remastered -debt.nfo -vinyl -"-6581" -".apple."

Thinking that size might matter, I cut it down to the following 448 characters but still no search results--

* -"00-" -"00_" -"000_" -2012 -2013 -2014 -"01-" -"6581.nfo" -ps3 -xbox -wii -1080p -720p -osx -hdtv -psp -android -pda -comic -PDTV -linux -HDTV -NTSC -DVDR -danish -french -russian -spanish -japanese -german -webrip -xxx -"[ ANIME ]" -"[ MOVIE ]"

Is there anything that stands out as incorrect in my final search syntax that anyone may be able to see as wrong? I have checked the help page and I think that it conforms to the proper syntax unless there is a length limit that I am still exceeding?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read my post, I do appreciate it! Thanks even more to anyone that can perhaps shed some light on where I am going wrong!
deloppoled
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: First day user moving over from Newsleecher

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 am

I'll have to get Dex in on this. He did the search front end. All the dashes mean "not" in Newsbin search so, you're filtering all these things out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby deloppoled » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm

OK thank you!

Yes, the dashes are filtering out the stuff that I don't want.
deloppoled
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 am

Dex should be around in the morning. We're on eastern time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:09 am

I know why you are using quotes, to embed spaces in the string, but the parser doesn't support embedded quotes like that. I could look into that in the future but to make your search string work you'll need to remove the quotes and embedded spaces.

Try this:

Code: Select all
* -00- -00_ -000_ -2012 -2013 -2014 -01- -6581.nfo -ps3 -xbox -wii -1080p -720p -osx -hdtv -psp -android -pda -comic -PDTV -linux -HDTV -NTSC -DVDR -danish -french -russian -spanish -japanese -german -webrip -xxx -[ANIME] -[MOVIE]

It doesn't seem to return very much though so it may need some tweaking.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deloppoled » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 am

Thank you very much for helping me out there dexter, that is much appreciated!

As far as the blank space, no worries what-so-ever. You've got me pointed in the exact place that I needed to be.

Thanks again and BTW excellent job on the search functionality! I'm pretty giddy about Newsbin including the searching, you guys have really done a fantastic job on this software!
deloppoled
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 am

deloppoled wrote:Thank you very much for helping me out there dexter, that is much appreciated!

As far as the blank space, no worries what-so-ever. You've got me pointed in the exact place that I needed to be.

Thanks again and BTW excellent job on the search functionality! I'm pretty giddy about Newsbin including the searching, you guys have really done a fantastic job on this software!

Cool! We aim to please :D
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders