Considering moving from NewsLeecher... but

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

Considering moving from NewsLeecher... but

Postby Benjy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi,

I've been trying NewsbinPro and have been achieving (much) faster speeds than with NewsLeecher on my 500 Mbps connection (I'm "capped" at 22 MB/s with NL whereas I can achieve 60 MB/s with NbP). But before I switch over, there is a big feature I haven't been able to reproduce: an equivalent to Repair'n'Extract, that is the ability to set an unrar folder depending on the group the post belongs to. I saw that you can set a download folder but the unrar folder is the same as the download folder or a "fixed" one (with some variables) and that doesn't cover it for me. As it is, I download to a drive and when it is a series or a movie, unrar needs to be done to my media box, on the LAN (I don't want RAR files to end up here then get extracted, just the resulting files). Also, as sometimes posts are made to general groups (ab.boneless and such), I can live-correct the unrar folder in the R'n'E dialog.

I guess I'm searching for something like when you access a group properties, you can set a custom unrar path, not just a download path.

NB: I tried to play a bit with the post-unrar script and almost got to something similar but this is not ideal.
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/14/14

Re: Considering moving from NewsLeecher... but

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

How are you downloading? NZB files? I'm going to assume yes. If not, then I might have to think harder. I'm guessing you're not looking to unrar into a group name on the final destination drive but, some arbitrary folder?

In the NZB Options, you can set Newsbin to monitor any number of folders for NZB Files. Each one of these monitored folders can have it's own UnRAR and download paths independent of the main download path.

Z:\NZB\pussy
Z:\NZB\Cat
Z:\NZB\Spacesship

Then you can just drop NZB's into the proper folder to make the files download and unrar to specific paths. In your case you probably want to just not set the download folder and use the main download folder, then set specific unrar folders.

If you're using header downloads. The post unrar script will let you do this pretty easily. The only downside of the script is that there's an extra copy.

The other option is I add a per group unrar path but, if I did, I'd probably make it a hidden feature initially. Things are already pretty complicated. Basically, you'd have to hand edit the configuration file to make it happen. I'll have to look, I thought I had some per group unrar stuff in there.

You might be able to get better speed out of Newsbin if you give it more memory to play with. If you see the "Cache" line at the bottom get kind of low. It might be worth giving it more cache.

[PERFORMANCE]
ChunkCacheSize=400

for example. You can edit the configuration file with WordPad. I use 400. It's probably 600K per cache entry. If you have a bunch of ram. Might be worth setting it higher than the default.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Benjy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you for your (really) quick answer!

Yes, I'm downloading from NZB files (or from the search sometimes) and to an arbitrary folder.

If you add the unrar path stuff, even as a hidden feature, you'll have made my day! (I do agree the interface is a bit complicated, e.g. the filters... I don't understand what they're for and how to use them :oops: )
I'll try the nzb location but it's not ideal as I generally just drag and drop all the NZB files from a ZIP directly into the interface.

Also, I'll try the cache setting and get back to you: I do have a lof of RAM (18 GB).
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Benjy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Benjy wrote:I'll try the nzb location but it's not ideal as I generally just drag and drop all the NZB files from a ZIP directly into the interface.

It works quite well. Is there a way to delete/clean the "Loaded" subfolder once downloads are done?
Benjy wrote:Also, I'll try the cache setting and get back to you: I do have a lof of RAM (18 GB).

With 600 I got max speed all along! Woohoo!! :mrgreen:
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

It works quite well. Is there a way to delete/clean the "Loaded" subfolder once downloads are done?

There isn't but, I can consider making it optional or delete on load. I doubt anyone really wants to save the NZB's. Maybe move the NZB to the temp folder before load because the temp folder is self purging.

Good to hear on the speed thing. The disk is the main bottleneck to speed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Benjy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

You just gained a new customer! :)
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Benjy wrote:You just gained a new customer! :)

Sweet!
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders