Newsbin Pro v6 - Critical Error Log

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin Pro v6 - Critical Error Log

Postby Chrisel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi all,

I used to post under a different name but lost the account details and changed my email address so I have started fresh!

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at a number of errors I receive when downloading through Newsbin - this has pretty much been consistent with all Newsbin v6 releases. I am currently running the following...

Windows 7 Pro x64
Newsbin Pro 6.20 - Build: 1513
Giganews (Diamond)

I get the same errors with brand new and old posts and its got to the point where I have installed SABnzbd+ just to complete downloads, here is an example of my error logs -

Code: Select all
Snip

Any help or ideas warmly welcomed!

Thanks,
Dan.
Chrisel
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/08

Re: Newsbin Pro v6 - Critical Error Log

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:14 pm

I suggest not posting what you're trying to download to a public forum. It's against the rules here too.

Are you using NZB's for this?

I was able to download them just fine but, mine is slightly newer than yours. Dex tried both 6.21 and 6.20 and it worked for him too.

The specific error is

NNTPServer: Post is NOT the post requested

What this means is that Newsbin asked for a post and then when it looked at the reply from the server, it didn't seem to be the post it was asking for. It checks the message-id and the chunk counters.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Chrisel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Quade wrote:I suggest not posting what you're trying to download to a public forum. It's against the rules here too.

Are you using NZB's for this?

I was able to download them just fine but, mine is slightly newer than yours. Dex tried both 6.21 and 6.20 and it worked for him too.

The specific error is

NNTPServer: Post is NOT the post requested

What this means is that Newsbin asked for a post and then when it looked at the reply from the server, it didn't seem to be the post it was asking for. It checks the message-id and the chunk counters.

Sorry, I didn't realise it showed that information, I just cut and paste the logs without reading - apologies.

Yes I am using NZB's, so my next question, naturally, is how do I resolve this issue?

Is it a problem with my Usenet provider or Newsbin?

Thanks,
Dan.
Chrisel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Email the "80899" nzb to "ts at newsbin dot com". And I'll check it out.

I'm wondering if it's just a bad NZB. I used the same server you use and had no issues with the download. If the message-id in the NZB is incorrect. You could end up getting the wrong blocks of data. Dex and I used Newsbin search and header downloads to test this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Chrisel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks Quade.

Should have the email now.
Chrisel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:38 am

The problem is the NZB. It looks like the entry for that particular sample has been mixed up with an identically named sample file.

Newsbin looks at the chunk counts to determine if a chunk belongs to a download. In the case of the sample file that won't download, there are two files with nearly the same subject. One has 17 chunks and the other 61. The chunks listed in the NZB for this file are a mix of the two posts. Some chunks from the 61 chunk version of the file and some from the 17 chunk version of the file. When Dex and I tested this using Newsbin search and the headers. Newsbin didn't mix of the chunks so, the files worked for us. I notice that the subject of the files in the NZB have been renamed compared to the real subjects. I'm wondering if that's why the NZB generator got confused. The raw subjects aren't exactly the same which is why Newsbin kept them split apart.

That particular set of files was posted kind of screwy anyway. The same sample was posted 3 times in 3 non-unique files. I'm not really surprised things got confused. It looks like that same set of files was posted twice and not crossposted as is the normal method.

I'm not really sure what you can do about it. You might try getting the same NZB from a different source and see if it acts the same.

I PM'd you a more detailed reason.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Chrisel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for looking into this for me.

So from what I can gather Newsbin was confused by the "bad" NZB file and had some posts mixed up?

(I haven't received a PM btw)

I wouldn't be so worried normally if it hadn't happened on other NZB files recently, having said that I will keep an eye out in future and update this thread accordingly.

Thanks,
Dan.
Chrisel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am

So from what I can gather Newsbin was confused by the "bad" NZB file and had some posts mixed up?

This isn't a Newsbin problem. The NZB tells Newsbin how to download and the information in the NZB is incorrect. Whoever made the NZB screwed this up. I explained in detail in my PM. If they'd generated the NZB WITH newsbin it would have been fine too. Both search and headers worked fine as well.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Chrisel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:37 pm

OK thanks once again.

Still haven't received a PM from you though :?
Chrisel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Looks like it got lost to the ether...

You have two files with the same name. Posted at different times and probably different files.

File1

File1 C1|File1 C2|File1 C3|....File1 C66

File2

File2 C1|File2 C2|File2 C3|....File2 C17

First has 66 chunks. Second has 17 chunks. Chunks being binary posts. All files are made of chunks of the file Newsbin assembles.

The NZB listed one file for these two and mixed the chunks up.

File1 C1|File2 C2|File2 C3|File1 C4|....File1 C66

The NZB described the files incorrectly so, they were impossible to download correctly using that NZB. Newsbin noticed the mixed up chunks and reject the ones that didn't actually belong to the file. A different NZB from a different service would probably work. I can only confirm that Newsbin handled these files properly using search or headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support