Save Internet search results to custom list confusion

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Save Internet search results to custom list confusion

Postby rh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 am

First time using 'internet' search.

Selected several results (20+) and saved to a custom list. A total of 9 were saved because I wasn't yet a subscriber to that service. I liked the idea once I found out search does more than I originally though. So I subbed. Exit NB.

Come back later to play with search. The original 9 were still in the custom list. Ran the same search again. All showed 'downloaded', probably because it thought I had 'successfully' saved them earlier in the day? I selected them again and chose to add to the list. It went through the motions and another 15 or so were added - the list even updated while it was already open. Then I add another group from a different location in the search results. Now all but one entry in the custom list are gone.

I deleted the custom list to start from scratch. Now none of them can be added. Perhaps because their status is downloaded. I can't find a Save Files To Custom List - Bypass Filters.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Save Internet search results to custom list confusion

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:42 am

Custom list don't care about previous state or downloaded or old or new (for storing the records). It's basically just creating a new group no different than downloading headers from a group.

Filters and display age also apply as does "Hide Old". You might have to disable "Hide Old" and you might have to "show all posts". "Storage Age" applies too. I just added 84 sets to a custom list from search, then I added 100 more. They're all there. I even downloaded from some of them. I'm not seeing any issue. I think you need to check your filters and settings.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 am

I meant to but failed to clarify that I checked the filters and tried show all posts.

Did you exit NB, re-enter and note in the search results that the first 84 sets had a 'downloaded' status? Then try to add those again or to a new custom list?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby rh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 am

I deleted the custom list again. Next I ran the search. Running the search displays those I had saved earlier as 'downloaded'. I tried adding one of those to the list, the count on the custom group tab remained at 0. I picked another one at random that did not have a 'downloaded' status and saved it to the same list - the count on the tab immediately went to 1.

Both files added were > 1Gb.

Display Age & Display Settings are at their default, I guess - Display Age & Display Settings.

Filters = None.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 am

All told I added 450 gigs worth of files to a new custom list. 190 sets. I restarted and did a "Show All" and 190 posts show up again. Only thing showing downloaded is some things I downloaded. I don't have "Autoold" turned on.

"Storage Age" is the only thing that might purge these records out.

I'm not seeing a problem. Using 6.30 final which is really just a recompile of 6.3RC1.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 pm

BINGO. I've pretty much ignored Storage Age for as long as I can remember. It's at 600 now - which probably explains why the 800+ day old posts I found in search are disappearing sometime after they are added to the custom list.

What do you have Storage Age set to? I've set mine to 1500 for now and will test this later today.

Any other settings one might want to consider if they're going to be using Internet search? Things like Display Age can be adjusted on the fly.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Storage age only matters now because you're rendering the search results to a custom list and a custom list is the same as any other group. All the options that apply to a post list apply to a custom list. I have mine set at 1500.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Storage age was indeed the solution. With Giganews at 1300 now, 1500 seems to be a good setting.

Thanks for the help!
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support