Issue with corrupt uploads to newly created newsgroup

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Issue with corrupt uploads to newly created newsgroup

Postby DBG » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 am

I am using the latest RC (as of this moment, 6.30RC2) with the NewsHosting Unlimited Service. A friend created a usenet group via Astraweb about a week ago for sharing custom files between gamers. I have been able to access and download all of the headers and files from the group without issue. However, when I go to upload a very strange issue occurs. I get the message...
Code: Select all
ERROR  NNTPSocket  - Server:unlimited.newshosting.com Posting Failed: Server returned error, Unable to complete Posting:441 Nonexistent newsgroup(s)
...exactly 3 times, then the upload continues as normal. Now what is weird is that I can send lots of small files without getting this message, but if I try to upload a file over 10mb in size, the error pops up and also the file becomes corrupted.

I hope that is detailed enough of a "bug report". If anyone knows a way around this or has ideas for things to try, feel free to throw them at me. Even with the use of par2 files for larger uploads, this error is preventing me from really being able to upload as much as I like (blame it on being a coder myself or OCD, but I don't like the idea of uploading something you know will be corrupted, even if repairable).

Thanks! - DBG/Tony R.
DBG
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/08/05

Re: Issue with corrupt uploads to newly created newsgroup

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:42 am

I'd contact Newshosting and ask them about it. That error is coming from them. I suppose it's possible there's something wrong with the format of the group name as Newsbin sends it.

How about trying posting with something like "PowerPost" and see if it reports errors.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DBG » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks, I will do just that. I had it all set up but didn't like the fact that PowerPost didn't have SSL options and for some reason limited my connection count to 4. I will edit this post with results.

Edit: I wasn't able to max out my bandwidth, but got pretty close with only 4 threads (averaged ~500kB/sec per thread). Also the upload completed without any errors and I verified that there were no corrupt files on the server when using PowerPost. So in the meantime I will use PowerPost for uploading and Newsbin for my leeching needs (which I know is the main purpose of the program). If I can be of any future assistance is trying to squash out this possible bug, please feel free to let me know.
DBG
n00b
n00b

Postby alexander038 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 am

DBG wrote:didn't like the fact that PowerPost didn't have SSL options

Powerpost can be used with ssl by downloading stunnel and add this at the bottom of the stunnel.conf file..

[nntp]
client = yes
accept=119
connect=ssl-eu.astraweb.com:443

Ofcourse you should change the server adres to your own adres.

in powerpost you fill in your server username and pass, leave port 119 as it is, the server adres should
be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" (without the quotes).

http://www.stunnel.org/ (download the newest version that includes the newest openssl version).

http://powerpost.camelsystem.nl/downloads.php (newest version from 04-01-2012).

ps: not sure but i think stunnel should be installed as service.
alexander038
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/11

Postby DBG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 pm

alexander038 wrote:
DBG wrote:didn't like the fact that PowerPost didn't have SSL options

Powerpost can be used with ssl by downloading stunnel and add this at the bottom of the stunnel.conf file..

[nntp]
client = yes
accept=119
connect=ssl-eu.astraweb.com:443

Ofcourse you should change the server adres to your own adres.

in powerpost you fill in your server username and pass, leave port 119 as it is, the server adres should
be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" (without the quotes).

http://www.stunnel.org/ (download the newest version that includes the newest openssl version).

http://powerpost.camelsystem.nl/downloads.php (newest version from 04-01-2012).

ps: not sure but i think stunnel should be installed as service.

Thanks for the tip Alex, I don't know why but I just prefer using SSL. Also I was using the OLD version of PowerPost (from 2004 or something), the 11b version on the free.fr site, I know they released the source code but I didn't know another group picked it up and updated it. So double thanks =). The final version of Newsbin 6.30 was released today, so I will try and see if the error still exists, but regardless I now have a great backup for uploading.
DBG
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support