Install Two Newsbins on same or seperate Drive?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Install Two Newsbins on same or seperate Drive?

Postby Woodbob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi,

I have Win7 - X64 with 3 drives. I am using Newsbin 5.59 and would like to fool with
Ver 6.21 - X64

Is it possible ( and how ) to install two versions of newsbin on same drive??

When I attempted to install 6.21 it said it would update 5.59.

Thanks

Bob
Woodbob
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/04/05

Re: Install Two Newsbins on same or seperate Drive?

Postby beatnik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I would like to do the same thing as the above poster as I to am only able to "Upgrade my current Version", unless their is a install command to do a new install? I installed Version 6.x a bit ago and I just couldn't get used to it and get what i needed to work correctly (i did not have the time to figure it out as i needed a working Usenet client)so i reverted back to 5.59 (which I love) Although I would love to learn to use the newer software as Their may be things I like but never got to as I use Newsbin Pro DAILY even multiple times a-day.

• So Is it possible?'
  • If so How do I do so on Windows 7 64bit?
  • If not WHY? (especially for licensed clients)

For me the main reason for this is Newsbin Pro Is an important program for me and I can not do anything that would prevent me from using 5.59 daily although I would also like to use 6x as ideally I would like to learn 6 enough to make it the way I like and work correctly and continue to use new versions instead of staying with 5.59 forever.

TYIA
beatnik
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/02/09

Postby Woodbob » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi,

I'm the poster that sent the original question about two drives. I did not receive an
answer via the forums.

I did email newsbin and they replied that you cannot do what your asking, two
newsbins on one drive.

Bob
Woodbob
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/04/05

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, you can...

C:\Newsbin1\

C:\Newsbin2\

2 NBI files

2 shortcuts

The shortcuts will each point to a different version of Newsbin, each shortcut will pass a different NBI to each instance of Newsbin. I recommend a different data folder for each instance of Newsbin. Most of the time Newsbin is forwards compatible but, not backwards.

So, say you installed 5.59. You copy the "Program File" for 5.59 to "Newsbin1"
Then you upgrade to 6.3. You can then copy "Program File" for 6.3 to "Newsbin2" or simply run 6.3 out of the install folder.
Probably running the latest out of the install folder is best because, the installer will still work properly.

There's very little you can't do with Newsbin like this. You can copy the program files anywhere and as long as you force an NBI file in the command line so, that each instance has a different NBI file it should work. I have to say if you run them simultaneously you MIGHT run into problems with the language.dll but, I suspect it'll just work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Woodbob wrote:
I did email newsbin and they replied that you cannot do what your asking, two newsbins on one drive.

Bob

No, that was not what I said. I said the *installer* won't let you do it. I then gave you suggestions on how to get around it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support