"Hide old" feature does not work properly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

"Hide old" feature does not work properly

Postby ycetindil » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi, even if hide old function is active, there are lots of posts with "Downloaded" and "Failed" status in the list. "Hide old button definitely is changing something and the number of posts will decrease but why are there still lots of unnecessary posts in the list?
I am using Newsbin Pro 6.30b6 build 1824.
Thanks...
ycetindil
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/12/12

Re: "Hide old" feature does not work properly

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Try 6.30. Let me know. You do have the filters turned on and the "Hold Old" dropbox selection set?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ycetindil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:32 am

Hi, I installed 6.30 (build 1832) and it's the same. Global filter is on with file size no smaller than 20kb and hide old is selected on the 'display settings' drop down menu.
I wanted to deal with it with sorting by status but oddly it is not sorting them properly. It is like there is a group of rows with same status then it's something else and after them the first status group appear again and so on... I guess this is another issue as well.
Please advise.
ycetindil
n00b
n00b

Postby ycetindil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi again.
I do not want to mislead you. This happens when I add and have Newsbin "showed all posts" for this group. Actually I am guessing the posts with the status downloaded are that way because they were downloaded for some other groups. I do not know if they are supposed to be hidden for the new group, but I am guessing so.
The sorting is odd though. As I told earlier it is mixed up...
Thanks...
ycetindil
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Yeah, that would probably do it too. Downloaded is a special state stored in a DB file. Old is stored in the header data so, it's possible to have something download but, not old in this case.

You know, you can group these groups together, show them together and all the loaded groups will get tagged old right?

Generate a top names "Cars" for example, put all the car groups in there and load up the folder of groups and not just the individual groups. Then anything that's cross posted to multiple groups and downloaded will get tagged old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ycetindil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks for the advise but it did not work out for me. You see, I need to develop a good framework, please help me.
I started to download posts from image groups around 200. I was downloading the groups one by one and had the above problem. Then I followed your advise and collect them under a group folder and opened this gropu. But since there are too many posts in this group (more than 20 million) I could not select all and hit download posts because the program will not response.
I came up with an idea and opened the group and selected a month for the age (12:February in this case). After filtering there were more than a million posts and when I wanted Newsbin to download all posts it and let it for a long time I am guessing it crashed again.
What is the best way to download all posts of these groups I have. Can you suggest me an effective framework which does not require me to attend and/or put too much effort?
Thanks...
ycetindil
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support