Missing headers ?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Missing headers ?

Postby bblogos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi everyone,

First of all sorry for my english, I am french.

Here is my problem : I am missing several files when exploring or searching groups specially with collections.
Example : the subject indicates that it is a 80 files collection [01/80] ..... [80/80] but the list is incomplete and sometimes missing 1 up to 20 or more.
I thought this was due to the news provider, but the fact is that i have downloaded all headers with 5 different providers (giganews, astraweb, supernews, newshosting, blocknews) and there is still missing headers that really exists because I can sometimes find them in a newsgroup indexer such as binsearch.net for example or in another newsreader program.
It's not a filter problem because even with none/old the headers are missing.
bblogos
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/10/14

Re: Missing headers ?

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 pm

PM me some examples of what you're missing and the group. Don't post it here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 pm

I downloaded headers from giga and aw simultaneously so, both servers were combined in one set of headers. What I noticed was that ancient, 2000 day old sets were missing some files but, on new stuff, I didn't see any missing.

AW didn't have the very oldest stuff. They topped out at about 2000 days.

At this point I don't really see anything wrong. The fact the very oldest stuff is missing some files isn't really unusual on usenet.

It's possible the files are still there but, the headers just don't show them because the headers aren't always 100% matched to the group contents.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby bblogos » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:51 pm

I have done this :

-I have edited the Newsbin.nbi file and set the "DataPath" line with another folder I created and then save the modified config file in that folder
- Launch the new nbi file and the program creates automatically all the other data files needed
- Then I have reprocessed a full headers download to have another fresh database in that new folder.

This new database seems to be more complete than the other. I don't know what happened or gone wrong with the other data base at some point.

I will mainly keep working with my config #1 and when I will notice some missing headers I will switch to the #2 config to try to retrieve the missing ones. I really didn't wanted to lose all the post marked as old or deleted in my database #1.

This method of course will increase twice the space disk, but 5 or 10 GB isn't a big difference with actual hard drives capacity and with 16GB of memory I can easilly have both configs opened at the same time.
bblogos
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/10/14

Return to V6 Technical Support