Files discarded when "Ran out of retries" Autopar=off

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Files discarded when "Ran out of retries" Autopar=off

Postby mjpierce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

In 6.53RC3

Once again it seems that incomplete files are being discarded instead of assembled even though Autopar is disabled.
[14:19:08] HIGH Retry Failure: Ran out of retries: "xxxx" yEnc

Back in September 2013 post "f=43&t=32431&p=195837" this was covered and the end result was
that starting 6.50B16 ... "When retries expire and autopar is disabled it should just assemble." (quoted from Quade)
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Re: Files discarded when "Ran out of retries" Autopar=off

Postby mjpierce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 pm

I may have jumped the gun. Some incompletes it discarded and some it assembled. I don't know why.

I re-downloaded the discarded parts, it failed again, then I re-added it and manually did an "assemble incompletes".
That seemed to work.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mjpierce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:40 pm

The other odd thing is that this is what the log looks like:
[14:12:02] HIGH PAR Pausing: Enabled
[14:12:02] HIGH Par2Repair - Multi-core 1.5
[14:12:02] HIGH MessageId Filter: Disabled
[14:12:02] HIGH FileType Version: 2.01
[14:19:08] HIGH Retry Failure: Ran out of retries: "xxxxxxxx" yEnc

No reports of missing parts.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 pm

6.53 won't auto-assemble incompletes unless if has a PARID and 90% of it has downloaded. If you want Newsbin to assemble the incompletes, you'll have to turn autopar back on. You can turn off unrar but, leave on the repair stuff.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mjpierce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 pm

I know we (several users) have discussed this last year. If autopar is off, why is Newsbin trying to do anything with the par files?

It seems like the primary function of a binary news reader/downloader is to just download binary news files. Auto recover and unrar are very nice features but they should not disable the number one core function, downloading binary news files.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby bobsmo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

mjpierce wrote:I know we (several users) have discussed this last year. If autopar is off, why is Newsbin trying to do anything with the par files?

It seems like the primary function of a binary news reader/downloader is to just download binary news files. Auto recover and unrar are very nice features but they should not disable the number one core function, downloading binary news files.

+1
bobsmo
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/24/04

Postby Shine » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 am

I've been saying that all along.

I, too, am using NB just to download, with all extra features like auto-repair, auto-unpack, etc. off.

NB should simply do what I tell it to do: download, and download exactly the parts I select for download - no more, no less. Is this so hard to implement?

6.53 has become even worse. If I select just one single file for download, NB queues ALL files from the set. Now if I try to delete the files I don't want from the queue, it deletes ALL files. WTF?!
Shine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/12/11

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 am

6.53 has become even worse. If I select just one single file for download, NB queues ALL files from the set. Now if I try to delete the files I don't want from the queue, it deletes ALL files. WTF?!

I can't repro. I popped open a set by clicking the + icon, added one file and only one file got added. You've never been able to add a set and then delete some files from the set.

The only thing that's different now, it that it won't auto-assemble incomplete files it doesn't think it can repair.

I'm not opposed to adding another option for non-autopar people.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Shine » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Sorry, I misremembered (getting old, one day is too long to remember anything correctly ;-)).

Correction:

If I try to download any one (or more) PARs from the wish list, 6.53 will queue all PARs instead and download the smallest one while pausing all the others - regardless which PAR I actually selected! And when I try to delete the PARs I don't want, NB removes all PARs instead. Why the hell? Please let me choose which PAR(s) I want to download. I usually do have a reason why I select a specific PAR! Please revert to the 6.51 and earlier behavior, ie. queue and download those PAR(s) - and only those - that I choose from the wish list.

And of course, as mjpierce already wrote, don't. ever. discard incomplete files. Perhaps this/these incomplete file(s) I'm trying to queue have the crucial blocks that I need for a set to repair! Please let me choose what to download and what not to.

Thanks.
Shine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm

If I try to download any one (or more) PARs from the wish list, 6.53 will queue all PARs instead and download the smallest one while pausing all the others - regardless which PAR I actually selected! And when I try to delete the PARs I don't want, NB removes all PARs instead. Why the hell? Please let me choose which PAR(s) I want to download. I usually do have a reason why I select a specific PAR! Please revert to the 6.51 and earlier behavior, ie. queue and download those PAR(s) - and only those - that I choose from the wish list.

Just unpause the one you want to download then. Select, hit the play button on the toolbar and it'll download. If you need more, you can unpause more.

And of course, as mjpierce already wrote, don't. ever. discard incomplete files. Perhaps this/these incomplete file(s) I'm trying to queue have the crucial blocks that I need for a set to repair! Please let me choose what to download and what not to.

Nothing is discarded. If you re-add the files to the download list from failed and manually assemble them, they'll assemble. Just don't wait too long because chunks get purged when they hit 3 days old I believe (might be one).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Shine » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Quade wrote:

Just unpause the one you want to download then. Select, hit the play button on the toolbar and it'll download. If you need more, you can unpause more.

So I can't select single files from the wish list anymore, only "all or nothing"? If it is so, then I don't understand the wish list's purpose. You can add everything to the download list instead, with PARs in paused state by default.

I actually liked how the wish list worked until now. It seems, with every new version, you choose to remove one or more things I like about NB. Sad. :-(

Nothing is discarded. If you re-add the files to the download list from failed and manually assemble them, they'll assemble. Just don't wait too long because chunks get purged when they hit 3 days old I believe (might be one).

That's a major problem. I often leave NB unattended for several days, and I expect it to reliably download everything I tell it to. Not to delete it after downloading. Not immediately and not after X days. So, I repeat my request. Please never discard/delete anything that has been downloaded. Just assemble it and leave it to me, the user, what to do with my downloads. If you have to delete downloads for whichever reason I don't understand, please make it optional. So I can turn it OFF. Thanks.
Shine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Well, the next version isn't coming out for awhile, I just gutted the download list and need to get it working again. So, you have a couple choices:

1 - Revert to a version that works the way you like.

2 - Turn on autopar and let Newsbin handle assembly of incompletes (but leave unrar off if you want to manually unrar).

3 - Wait till the next version comes out.

I get that you want an option but, it's not going to be possible till the next version starts beta testing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Shine » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding anything, especially not impossible things (like "do it now").

I'm just expressing my unhappiness with some of the latest changes, in the hope that you are listening. The fact that almost all requests and bug reports here in the forum get a prompt reply from you shows very well that you DO care and DO listen. So I hope you find a way of improving the user experience for us non-autopar people without sacrificing the usability for others.

Thanks for working on this great software, I will take a look at the changes once the next beta comes out!
Shine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby bobsmo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Quade wrote:6.53 won't auto-assemble incompletes unless if has a PARID and 90% of it has downloaded. If you want Newsbin to assemble the incompletes, you'll have to turn autopar back on. You can turn off unrar but, leave on the repair stuff.

There is another work around for this.....before NB has downloaded all the data for an imcomplete file, already right click and choose the assemble incompletes.....
bobsmo
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/24/04

Return to V6 Technical Support