Never seen before status message: "Display Update Pending"

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Never seen before status message: "Display Update Pending"

Postby Wildfire » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:30 pm

I've installed version 6.60B2 build 3750 and I've just added a bunch of downloads to the download list. However, I've noticed a new status message in the download list: most of the list has the status message "Display Update Pending" instead of the actual file name and things like that.

What's going on? The message by itself seams clear, but why is it popping up? The downloads which show up normally seem to be downloading just fine. And after they were finished, I was left with hundreds of these weird status messages. Right now NewsBin Pro says I have 124 items in my download list, but it's just 124 times the message "Display Update Pending" which all have the status "Paused". Resuming them does exactly nothing, they remain paused.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/03

Re: Never seen before status message: "Display Update Pendin

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 pm

I think what happens is that files that get sent to the failed list sometimes leave zombies behind in the download list.

I'd just delete them. Figuring out where they come from is on my todo list. Last night I had some and I tracked them all to the failed list. When I purged the failed list, they vanished from the download list too. I don't see them that often. Mainly seems to happen when things are downloading pretty fast and furious.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 pm

I'd like to add a bit of information relevant to this reported problem.

Last night, while I was in the midst of a downloading of the latest group updates, I noticed that I was running out of storage space on the hard drive used to receive and store files downloaded by Newsbin (v6.60B7). Wanting to stop the downloading of any additional files, while allowing the download of the latest group updates to continue, I highlighted all of the files listed in Download Files Tab and then used the right click menu to pause the downloading of those files. After the downloading of the latest group updates had completed, and waiting for the processing of all files in Newsbin's Import Folder to be processed, I exited from Newsbin, and went out and purchased a new removable USB drive.

This morning, after having installed the new removable USB drive and moving some files from the hard drive used by Newsbin to receive and store downloaded files to the new drive, I started Newsbin and observed that all 27 entries, in all of the columns of the Download Files Tab were being displayed as "Display Update Pending", and remained that way for approximately 8 minutes before the display changed to properly reflect the usual information displayed in those columns. While the entries were being displayed as "Display Update Pending" I tried to resume the downloading of the first file in the Download Descriptions column to see if that might trigger a change in the display, but that had no effect whatsoever. Once the display of "Display Update Pending" was eventually replaced with the usual information I was able to resume the downloading of all of the files that had been paused. And everything now seems to have returned to normal. For now at least.

The point is that, at least in my particular installation of Newsbin, the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with files being sent to the failed list.

I REALLY hope that you can find the source of this problem and remedy it RSN (Real Soon Now) because it's become a major annoyance and concern.

Good luck!
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Your issue isn't really what's being reported here. The original report is about left over entries in the download list after download never reverting to showing a filename. In that case, I think they're in the failed list.

What you're reporting is that startup time is slow

This morning, after having installed the new removable USB drive and moving some files from the hard drive used by Newsbin to receive and store downloaded files to the new drive, I started Newsbin and observed that all 27 entries, in all of the columns of the Download Files Tab were being displayed as "Display Update Pending", and remained that way for approximately 8 minutes before the display changed to properly reflect the usual information displayed in those columns. While the entries were being displayed as "Display Update Pending" I tried to resume the downloading of the first file in the Download Descriptions column to see if that might trigger a change in the display, but that had no effect whatsoever. Once the display of "Display Update Pending" was eventually replaced with the usual information I was able to resume the downloading of all of the files that had been paused. And everything now seems to have returned to normal. For now at least.

Were you still in the middle of copying files when you started Newsbin? Newsbin starts, checks the DB (which might be slow, will be slower if you're copying files). Then loads up a list of what's in the download list. This list is sent to populate the download list. Then it'll go to the database and load up the displayable items. "Pending" is the time between when it asks for the data and it gets it to display. 8 minutes is obviously too long. It sounds like a performance problem though and not a bug. It's working but, slower than it should.

Maybe I need to prioritize sending the display information over anything else.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Quade wrote:Your issue isn't really what's being reported here. The original report is about left over entries in the download list after download never reverting to showing a filename. In that case, I think they're in the failed list.

What you're reporting is that startup time is slow

Were you still in the middle of copying files when you started Newsbin? Newsbin starts, checks the DB (which might be slow, will be slower if you're copying files). Then loads up a list of what's in the download list. This list is sent to populate the download list. Then it'll go to the database and load up the displayable items. "Pending" is the time between when it asks for the data and it gets it to display. 8 minutes is obviously too long. It sounds like a performance problem though and not a bug. It's working but, slower than it should.

Maybe I need to prioritize sending the display information over anything else.

I apologize for the misplacement of posting in the Newbin Forums. Can my initial post, and the subsequent responses be moved to a new message thread? That's what I often do with my installations of vBulletin 4 and 5.

I had finished copying the files to the new drive, and had disconnected that drive from my system before starting Newsbin.

Newsbin and it's data folder are installed to a Samsung 850, 500GB, SATA III SSD. Files downloaded by Newsbin are written to an HGST 7200 RPM, 6.0 Gb/s, 3TB SATA hard drive. I delete Newsbin's AutoPAR2.db3, and Downloads.db3/DownloadsV2.db3 files (I've been switching between the use of Newsbin 6.55 and 6.60Bx) at least once each day, when I know there are no files waiting to be downloaded, in order to avoid slow startups. In this situation there were only 27 files waiting for download.

Based on my long time use and experience with Newsbin and it's developers, I have NO doubt that the source problem will eventually be discovered, and remedied.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I apologize for the misplacement of posting in the Newbin Forums. Can my initial post, and the subsequent responses be moved to a new message thread? That's what I often do with my installations of vBulletin 4 and 5.

I don't care where it's posted. Here's fine. I'm just trying to make clear it's a different thing so, the solution will have to be different.

Newsbin and it's data folder are installed to a Samsung 850, 500GB, SATA III SSD. Files downloaded by Newsbin are written to an HGST 7200 RPM, 6.0 Gb/s, 3TB SATA hard drive. I delete Newsbin's AutoPAR2.db3, and Downloads.db3/DownloadsV2.db3 files (I've been switching between the use of Newsbin 6.55 and 6.60Bx) at least once each day, when I know there are no files waiting to be downloaded, in order to avoid slow startups. In this situation there were only 27 files waiting for download.

How big are the sets? Load time is a function of how large the sets are 27 20 GB files sets is a crapload of data. 27 500 megs sets is nothing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Moondawgie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:14 am

Quade wrote:How big are the sets? Load time is a function of how large the sets are 27 20 GB files sets is a crapload of data. 27 500 megs sets is nothing.

With one exception, they ranged in size between 2MB to 50MB. The one exception was approximately 1.5 GB. All were RAR with accompanying PAR2 files.

I'm running Newsbin 6.56 now. I think that I'll stick with it while watching to see what fixes the upcoming releases of the 6.60 beta series bring.

Cheers!
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:22 am

I had a bit of a slow load one time. It was because Newsbin was checking the downloaded.db3 file. If you download down to the point where everything is done you might want to delete this file and see if the slowdown goes away. This will clear the files list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support