Will Not Assemble Incompletes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Will Not Assemble Incompletes

Postby Name Goes Here » Wed May 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Version 6.42

I left Newsbin downloading a big list of files overnight. There were a bunch of files with small gaps. Newsbin did not download any pars even though it looks like there are plenty of par files to fill in those tiny gaps. So I told it to resume downloading the paused pars which it did. But I can't get it to finish downloading the incomplete files in order to run quickpar on them. I right-clicked each one and chose "assemble incompletes," but it won't do it. How can I get this to work?
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/13/05

Re: Will Not Assemble Incompletes

Postby Quade » Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 pm

It's an old version.

I'd suggest updating to at least 6.56 and trying again. 6.42 tried to be smart about assembling incompletes to keep people out of trouble. 6.56, if you expand a set and tell it to assemble, it'll do it, even if no chunks are available.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Name Goes Here » Thu May 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks Quade. My first thought was to try a newer version, but my second thought was a worry that in the update process I might lose all of those partial files or something, so I held off. Later on when I went back and began to muck around with it again, it began to work. All of the incompletes were assembled and autopared. I didn't try anything different that I can recall (but it was late) so I don't know what happened. I'm just happy it worked. Will update when I get a chance. Thanks again.
Name Goes Here
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/13/05

Postby Quade » Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 pm

It will automatically assemble but it doesn't do it till the retries expire. It's just more aggressive on the newer versions. It was probably a good call on the incomplete files and upgrading too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support