Best way to backup and re-install after a system format?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Best way to backup and re-install after a system format?

Postby KCCraash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:43 am

I don't want to say I format my system a lot, but I kinda do.

I'm constantly upgrading hardware, or making changes to my system and I love that "just freshly installed OS" smell. :)

Using nextcloud and several other utilities I have the process down to a fairly painless, repeatable, set of steps.

The only issue I run into is my Newsbin install.

When I install Newsbin, the data folder goes to a dedicated folder on a NVME drive other than the system drive. This folder of course survives the format.

After windows is back up and tweaked, I'll reinstall Newsbin pointing the data folder to the above mentioned folder. It usually see's itself as a new install and I have to go through all the setup again. I've tried copying the original data folder (and newsbin.ini) over after installing Newsbin, but my results are still mixed.

Besides having to re setup my usenet server information, the big pain for me is that my watch lists and filters aren't restored no matter what I try. If I could overcome this, I would be very please.

What process should I be using? In a perfect world, a newsbin install would recognize when the data folder existed and all previous settings would be restored. I'm pretty savvy, so a little bit of work won't bother me if I get to keep all my Newsbin tweaks.

I've delt with this for a couple of years now, but I figured I'd ask today because I have a new 10GbE Fiber card showing up tomorrow and I'm going to do a fresh install with the Win10 1709, since it's freshly released.

Thanks for the help.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/08

Re: Best way to backup and re-install after a system format?

Postby itimpi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Make sure that the Newsbin .nbi File is saved somewhere that survives a restart.

If you then start Newsbin by double-clicking on the .nbi File it will bring all your settings forward!
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby KCCraash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 am

itimpi wrote:Make sure that the Newsbin .nbi File is saved somewhere that survives a restart.

If you then start Newsbin by double-clicking on the .nbi File it will bring all your settings forward!

I wish it was that easy. My filters and watch lists have yet to survive using that method. They aren't kept in Newsbin.ini. Not to mention Newsbin wants you to re-setup all your usenet servers during the install.

Surely I can't be the only one that has had to deal with this?
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:21 am

Watch list options are in the NBI. Filters are in filters.db3.

1 - I think you should save the entire data folder if you use headers.

2 - If you don't care about headers or don't mind re-downloading some, just take the main part of the data folder but not the folders under the data folder.

If you're losing watch lists, you're probably not using the correct NBI. You can look in the NBI with wordpad and see the watch lists.

The watch names are listed in [GROUPS]

and if you have a watch named "Trains" the details for the watch are listed in [TRAINS]

If you're trying to save the contents of the watch lists. The actual posts, you'll have to pull them out of spool_v6. You might want to delete everyting in this folder except your watch lists before you backup. Basically wipe out all the other groups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby KCCraash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 am

Quade wrote:Watch list options are in the NBI. Filters are in filters.db3.

1 - I think you should save the entire data folder if you use headers.

2 - If you don't care about headers or don't mind re-downloading some, just take the main part of the data folder but not the folders under the data folder.

If you're losing watch lists, you're probably not using the correct NBI. You can look in the NBI with wordpad and see the watch lists.

The watch names are listed in [GROUPS]

and if you have a watch named "Trains" the details for the watch are listed in [TRAINS]

If you're trying to save the contents of the watch lists. The actual posts, you'll have to pull them out of spool_v6. You might want to delete everyting in this folder except your watch lists before you backup. Basically wipe out all the other groups.

Thanks Quade,

The posts are nice, but I don't really care about them alot.

Saving the data file is no big deal at all. As I mentioned I keep it on a different drive anyway.

So, should I:

Option A:
1. Install Newsbin
2. Copy complete saved data folder over to newly installed data folder location?

Option B:
1. Install Newsbin INTO saved data folder?

Anyway to get around having to do the initial setup (specifying news servers, etc)?
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My new process . . .

Postby KCCraash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 am

For those who might stumble across this post, I spend a couple hours in a VM this morning testing different scenarios. This is what I found.

1. Tweak Newsbin to desired format.
2. Export the following key from the window registry: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DJI Interprises]
a. This key contains the path to your last Newsbin.ini, AND your registration information.
3. Make a copy of your "Data" folder.
a. You can remove all the subfolders under Data, unless you wish to keep the actual post content.
4. Install Newsbin - DO NOT CHOOSE TO RUN NOW AFTER INSTALL
a. You can put gibberish in for the requests Newsbin makes during the install.
b. it will be corrected by the Newsbin.ini and the Reg file
c. Make SURE your Data path is the same data path as the backup copy.
d. Either use the default, or standardize on a location for the data folder.
5. After install, copy your backup Data folder to the installed Newsbin location overwriting all existing files.
6. Double click the registry file you exported in step 2 to update the registry.
7. You can now start Newsbin with the shortcut. It will use the Newsbin.ini in the backup data folder, as specified in the registry file.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby nbwul62 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 am

@KCCraash
Many thanks indeed.

In case applications allow to be installed onto a different drive/partition, I use that option.
Basically all my applications are installed on D:\
So in case of Windows issues, requiring a new install of Windows, most of my data is still there.
Certain AV programs and in fact Microsoft Office - they are installed on C:\ which is by design.

A very small note to the below: in case of a Newsbin install after a clean Windows (which I just did),
obviously they registry key isn't there - so skip 2 and 6

and 7.a. alternatively double click the Newsbin.nbi in the \data folder.

I came across your post because I did a fresh Windows install and wanted to make sure about the right steps.

-
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm

So in case of Windows issues, requiring a new install of Windows, most of my data is still there.
Certain AV programs and in fact Microsoft Office - they are installed on C:\ which is by design.

Keep in mind the install folder and the data folder are different folders. I'd just install to the standard "Program Files". It's the most secure way to run Windows but keep the data folder on the D drive. In that way you can wipe the C drive but not lose any data.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Re: My new process . . .

Postby pjcamp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm

That's ridiculous.

One should not have to go through a process this convoluted just to insure that an upgrade doesn't wipe out everything it sees. I've had this experience on a couple of upgrades of Newsbin and it is irritating as hell. An installer should be able to upgrade the program files without touching anything else.

KCCraash wrote:For those who might stumble across this post, I spend a couple hours in a VM this morning testing different scenarios. This is what I found.

1. Tweak Newsbin to desired format.
2. Export the following key from the window registry: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DJI Interprises]
a. This key contains the path to your last Newsbin.ini, AND your registration information.
3. Make a copy of your "Data" folder.
a. You can remove all the subfolders under Data, unless you wish to keep the actual post content.
4. Install Newsbin - DO NOT CHOOSE TO RUN NOW AFTER INSTALL
a. You can put gibberish in for the requests Newsbin makes during the install.
b. it will be corrected by the Newsbin.ini and the Reg file
c. Make SURE your Data path is the same data path as the backup copy.
d. Either use the default, or standardize on a location for the data folder.
5. After install, copy your backup Data folder to the installed Newsbin location overwriting all existing files.
6. Double click the registry file you exported in step 2 to update the registry.
7. You can now start Newsbin with the shortcut. It will use the Newsbin.ini in the backup data folder, as specified in the registry file.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

That's ridiculous.

He's talking about re-installing windows and using the old data folder he was using before he wiped and re-installed his C drive. This isn't related to upgrading Newsbin.

Sounds like he's trying to keep his old display layout too. I consider his method to be overkill but whatever works for you is fine. The only real gotcha is that you need to hand-edit the NBI file if your drive letters have changed. I never save the registry. It gets re-created the first time Newsbin is run.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Well, in my case I'm specifically speaking to installing after a format (or think of moving to a new computer if that makes it easier to visualize).

I've not had an upgrade that didn't keep my settings, but as I mentioned in my OP, I format frequently. So, being able to use this process to get me back to where I was is a good thing.

I'm ok with this, and I'm a long time user.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

KCCraash wrote:Well, in my case I'm specifically speaking to installing after a format (or think of moving to a new computer if that makes it easier to visualize).

I've not had an upgrade that didn't keep my settings, but as I mentioned in my OP, I format frequently. So, being able to use this process to get me back to where I was is a good thing.

PJ just jumped to conclusions.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Quade wrote:
KCCraash wrote:Well, in my case I'm specifically speaking to installing after a format (or think of moving to a new computer if that makes it easier to visualize).

PJ just jumped to conclusions.

You pretty much nailed it though, Quade.

I'd love it if it was all self contained in a folder (not registry dependent), but this isn't a bad method for me. Considering what Newsbin does, I'm tickled pink. So much better than the days of Forte Agent.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 pm

You shouldn't have to do anything with the registry.

1 - Install Newsbin, go through the defaults.

2 - Go into the old data folder, make sure the paths in the NBI still make sense and fix them if they don't.

3 - You ought to be able to double-click the old NBI at that point.

4 - To verify it's loading the correct one, I'd exit and restart.

5 - Re-register in the help menu.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Quade wrote:You shouldn't have to do anything with the registry.

Very possible that I was doing something incorrectly, but, it seemed my process was the only one that kept my watched list in a workable format - which was my big problem. Before coming up with this, it seemed I always lost my watch filters. I can verify it easily enough by spinning up a new VM if you like. I'm always open to tweaking my processes.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby nbwul62 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 am

I recently re-installed Newsbin Pro after a clean Windows install.

Note that my previous (and still existing install) was on a different drive (D:\), not on the Windows drive (C:\)

So I re-installed Newsbin over and into the existing folders
D:\Newsbin and the data in D:\Newsbin\Data

setup provider, username, password, etc.
- at "Reset to default version 6 layout?" [Yes]
- at "Forcing Clean Install" [OK]

Pop-up shows up 'Existing Newsbin Configuration file was found" [OK]

Launched Newsbin and all was set.
Needed to enter registration key only.
All settings were as before.
It couldn't be easier - wish Microsoft Office worked this way :-)
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby KCCraash » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am

nbwul62 wrote:I recently re-installed Newsbin Pro after a clean Windows install.

Note that my previous (and still existing install) was on a different drive (D:\), not on the Windows drive (C:\)

So I re-installed Newsbin over and into the existing folders
D:\Newsbin and the data in D:\Newsbin\Data

setup provider, username, password, etc.
- at "Reset to default version 6 layout?" [Yes]
- at "Forcing Clean Install" [OK]

Pop-up shows up 'Existing Newsbin Configuration file was found" [OK]

Launched Newsbin and all was set.
Needed to enter registration key only.
All settings were as before.
It couldn't be easier - wish Microsoft Office worked this way :-)

Do you have watch lists? Did it keep those?
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

Watch lists are in the NBI. If you lost your watch lists, it sounds like you were using the wrong NBI. If you're talking about watch list data, you'll need to keep spool_v6 if you want the contents of the watch list.

You can look at the NBI with Wordpad to see your watch lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support