What exactly do the status letters mean?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

What exactly do the status letters mean?

Postby ppan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 am

Sorry, but I am still confused about the meaning of the different letters in the status column and why some file sets are left "stuck" in the download list.

I have unchecked "Automatically UnRAR Complete Files"
I have checked "Remove repaired but, not unrared sets in the download list"
Max Retries = 2

Most file sets are removed, but I currently have one set left. Consider this image:

When I run Autopar on this set, it states that the set is complete and does not need repair.
Why is the set not removed from the download list?

When it shows Size: 1.21 GB/1.24 GB, does it mean that the remaining 0.03 GB are the PAR sets (not yet downloaded)?
What does [PAR: 8960 of 9039] mean?
What does D:116 mean?
What does DL:11 mean?
What does N:7 mean? - that is the only thing that is changing, counting backwards from 10 to 0 and then back to 10 again.

Does the color of the "Current Progress" bar (blue in this case) have any meaning? What are the different color options?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: What exactly do the status letters mean?

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

It tells me a bunch

1 - At least one par file has downloaded.
2 - Only the first par with no repair information has downloaded.
3 - PAR: X of Y mean you need Y PAR blocks to complete the file so in this instance you don't have enough repair + PAR blocks to repair or finish this download.
4 - It looks like 11 files are still in the midst of downloading.
5 - Retries haven't hit 2 yet.

What version are you using? In 6.80B11, aggressive assembly mode is the default. If parts of new file download, the retries reset and start again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 pm

I am sorry, but I didn't completely understand your answer. I should have numbered my questions like you did with your answers.

I am indeed using v.6.80B11 (even though it keeps crashing). The file set wasn't removed after several hours, it was just sitting there with the mysterious N counter counting down and then resetting to 10. However, after I closed newsbin and then restarted it, the file set was removed after a few minutes.

1. Why was it necessary to close/restart newsbin for the file set to be removed?

1 - At least one par file has downloaded.
2 - Only the first par with no repair information has downloaded.
2. That is correct, but how do you see that from the data in the image that I posted?

3 - PAR: X of Y mean you need Y PAR blocks to complete the file so in this instance you don't have enough repair + PAR blocks to repair or finish this download.
3. I don't understand why. As I wrote, when I tested the file set with QuickPAR repair was not necessary. Furthermore the PAR files were not being downloaded, there were just sitting idle in the download list.

4 - It looks like 11 files are still in the midst of downloading.
4. Yes, I believe that these were the 11 PAR files that were not needed.

5 - Retries haven't hit 2 yet.
5. I don't understand, are you referring to the N counter? Why does it keep counting down/resetting?

I think that you didn't answer some of my other question
s?:
6. When it shows Size: 1.21 GB/1.24 GB, does it mean that the remaining 0.03 GB are the PAR sets (not yet downloaded)?
7. What does D:116 mean?
8. Does the color of the "Current Progress" bar (blue in this case) have any meaning? What are the different color options
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 pm

6 - I don't really know. If you hit the + icon you can easily see what files Newsbin thinks it's downloaded and which is doesn't think are complete.

7 - Downloaded File Count

8 - It means it's not repairing and unraring. Other than that it's just a general indicator of download progress.

As for the par counts, the answer is that I don't know. You can look at the properties in the download list and see what Newsbin thinks of the files.
Last edited by Quade on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support