Not a problem Just a Heads UP

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Not a problem Just a Heads UP

Postby eclapwannabe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm

3 days without Usenet is enough to give one a splitting headache

I have been experiencing dropouts of my Wifi lately. I had a belkin N450 router that I bought about 1.5 years ago. It finally quit working. Then I thought I had a problem with my internal HP wifi radio card. Even after installing a new usb wireless card and acquiring a D-link DIR 632 I had problems with NBP 64.
It was showing files not over a few days old as not found. Cubenet has been a reliable newserver. I tried to add some new groups and it would never show the files as being added.

I know you do not support X-news but I still use it every once in a while especially to do preview of image files ans reading text messages. But it was acting strange too. So I deleted the xnews files and re-extracted the files( winrar). It took everything but when it tried to get the entire newslist it would pull about 20k of groups give me a 10054 error message and told me Connection was reset by "peer". My brother who is more savvy then me told me that it was a winsock error. I tried twice to flush the dns server and clear the winsock to no avail. The router was several years old and D-Link last supported firmware update was 5 years old. Watch out for older routers. I can say a shout out to Buffalo Wifi Routers they are good and very fast . Once the new router was in place the news webpages worked the video download places worked and Xnews and NBP64 work now.

Yahoo!!!!!
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Not a problem Just a Heads UP

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm

You think router just failed?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97