repair fails repeatedly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

repair fails repeatedly

Postby RayMark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm

It sometimes happens that repair fails repeatedly, attempt after attempt, keeping downloading more and more par2 files, trying again, and again failing.
And finally I have many files .1, .9,..., .10 and still no successful repair.
While MultiPar successfully repairs the files at the first attempt without any problems.

What is the reason for this?
A bug in NewsBin or something justifiable?

I came across this problem yet again, I will pm you the specifics.

UPDATE:
P.M. sent.

Sometimes there is a different situation - when there are some duplicated files posted and NewsBin gets confused and is not able to repair the files. In such situations sometimes MultiPar just renames some files without any repairing and done - all the files are correct! But NewsBin is not able to keep track of its own renaming, it seems.
But in this case here, there are no duplicate files, and still the repair fails.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: repair fails repeatedly

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:55 pm

If there's something wrong with the rars, it'll attempt a repair after each par downloads. Basically a failed unrar will trigger another PAR and repair attempt.

I saw a case the other day where everything was good in the download but it kept trying to repair and unrar. The problem was that a RAR was missing from both the listing AND the PAR files so, there was no possible way to get a good unrar. I've also seen cases where the par was generated over already damaged RARS so any repair would simply re-create the already damaged PARS.

Basically what you're describing is what happens when something goes wrong. Newsbin keeps trying till you run out of PAR files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

I've had this problem a few times over the years due to bad posts.

I go to the download folder with all the rar files and unrar them manually by double clicking on the first rar file, then clicking the "extract to" button and when the popup window appears make sure that "keep broken files" is checked in the miscellaneous section of the popup. You can then look at the unrared file to see if it is worth worrying about.

Is it possible to have the "keep broken files" option enabled in NBPros autounrar?
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby RayMark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 pm

I am not speaking about such cases here. Yes, I've seen them too. With missing rar parts or "packed data crc failed" in rar parts even when par2 set says everything is OK.
No, here are different cases:

1. When everything is fine with par2 set, enough par2s to repair and the post can be repaired but it is not.
2. Same as 1 but when there are perhaps some reposts or something - some dupes are confusing NewsBin, perhaps because it itself renamed the original files while handling them - and it still cannot successfully repair even when there is nothing to repair - to rename correctly is enough. Or sometimes there is something to repair but those dupes are confusing NewsBin.

In both those cases stand-alone MultiPar solves the problem.
I gave Quade some examples of 1. I do not remember now the cases of 2 (with some dupes), but I had quite a lot of them too. Maybe I will encounter such a case again and will be able to give it to Quade.

Again, when the posted rars cannot be fully repaired by the provided par2s and/or are incorrectly indicated as OK when they are not - I have no questions about those cases.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Postby astrax » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 am

RayMark wrote:I am not speaking about such cases here. Yes, I've seen them too. With missing rar parts or "packed data crc failed" in rar parts even when par2 set says everything is OK.
No, here are different cases:

1. When everything is fine with par2 set, enough par2s to repair and the post can be repaired but it is not.
2. Same as 1 but when there are perhaps some reposts or something - some dupes are confusing NewsBin, perhaps because it itself renamed the original files while handling them - and it still cannot successfully repair even when there is nothing to repair - to rename correctly is enough. Or sometimes there is something to repair but those dupes are confusing NewsBin.

In both those cases stand-alone MultiPar solves the problem.
I gave Quade some examples of 1. I do not remember now the cases of 2 (with some dupes), but I had quite a lot of them too. Maybe I will encounter such a case again and will be able to give it to Quade.

Again, when the posted rars cannot be fully repaired by the provided par2s and/or are incorrectly indicated as OK when they are not - I have no questions about those cases.

This is happening a lot lately with my downloads. I have set it to download all PARs available, but NB still can't or won't fix them. Even when it's possible manually. Sometimes the downloads stay/get stuck in the download list, sometimes they get removed (often with a duplicate detection, if if it's not true/possible). Or NB wil try over and over again to extract the files (sometimes leaving multiple copies of the file in the extract folder).
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:19 pm

What version are you using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:16 pm

astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:16 pm

Keep in mind that all NZB's need to be fed directly to the download list and not pass though the post list first.

If these are NZB's you could try sending me a couple to ts @ newsbin.com to try.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:46 am

Quade wrote:Keep in mind that all NZB's need to be fed directly to the download list and not pass though the post list first.
If these are NZB's you could try sending me a couple to ts @ newsbin.com to try.

TBH I don't completely understand that. Does it mean, I shouldn't use NZBs, that were added to the download list from a group? Should I only use NZbs that I downloaded separately and then load them into NB?
I can't say for sure, but I think it also happens, when I directly download from a group (not through an NZB). But I'll have to check.

But yes, if I come across any faulty NZBs, I'll send them your way.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am

There's two ways you can currently do things with NZB FIles. One is you load them into a post list, like a group, to view. The other is to feed them directly to the download list.

It doesn't matter where the NZB's come from as long as they're loaded directly to the download list for downloading using either auto-load or drag and drop or double-click.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Quade wrote:If these are NZB's you could try sending me a couple to ts @ newsbin.com to try.

All NZBs are either loaded into NB with a double click, or from a watch folder. I sent you two, which both give me this error:

Code: Select all
[02/19 13:02:36]  ERROR CNNTPRepairException: - Decode Failed - Download all PARS: <**********.nzb> mishandeling - [002/149] - "**********.part001.rar" yEnc

Basically what happens is, NB tries to repair the files, but fails (even though all PARs have been downloaded) and gives up at some point (the file then just sits in the download list). But when you go into the folder and manually repair the files, the archive unpacks with no problem.
I would blame it on a faulty internet connection, or a bad harddisk, but since the files can be repaired, I guess it's something wrong with NB.

I also have similar cases, where NB tries to unpack an archive over and over and over again... until you have up to ten copies of a file in the destination folder, but it never finishes and you have to delete or stop it. And, same as above, files can be repaired manually from the PARs.

Thanks!
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:03 am

Have you tried it with B7? There were several PAR fixes.

None of the NZB's I got from users showed repeated repair attempts. The ones Raymark sent didn't start to repair but they repair in B7.

It's unlikely to be related to connection issues. It's more likely to be say, a bad overclock, back stuck of RAM or a disk that's getting ready to fail.

It might be Newsbin but, I can't make it fail here with supplied NZB's in B7.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:21 am

Quade wrote:Have you tried it with B7? There were several PAR fixes.

Haven't yet. But I'll check and will report back if/what changes. Thanks for looking into the issue!

I can't seem to locate a download for "B7"... I assume it's "beta"? Or would that be 6.81. B7? :oops:

I just installed the latest build (6.82: 00 16 24 BF B3 24 ) and so far, the errors when trying to assemble or repair, seem to have gone now.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:04 pm

The beta is up on the beta section of this forum. Dex should have announced B7 yesterday in a MOTD too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support