'Ghost' or cached NZB's loading and causing duplicate fails

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

'Ghost' or cached NZB's loading and causing duplicate fails

Postby thallon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:01 pm

hi there, wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. Periodically newsbin will combine a current NZB with previous NZB's, like it's cached the file name and combines past + current NZB content. from the NZB file as a for example:

subject="28c9fbf312340d8154b38164b465cb0a [1/27] "f54ff7fca7a644a1bdbe8be601f3a020.par2"

This is theoretically a 300mb file yet newsbin shows it as 9gb. looking at the expanded file list, there are 5 completely different files in the list (and each one has a part01, part02, part03, etc). I've tried using the filter to only show the specific file I'm looking for but filters appear to work at a file level and not part level, so the list always ends up empty. Newsbin happily tries to download the first part01, realizes it's been downloaded and it's a duplicate so it stops. Even if that's not the file I just loaded - it's something it downloaded previously and doesn't exist in the NZB file I just selected. I've tried clearing out the various newsbin directories (not the db's however) and tried loading the NZB file 3 different ways (double-click, drag & drop, file -> load nzb). No change. To confirm my theory, I manually edited the NZB file and changed all occurrences of:

28c9fbf312340d8154b38164b465cb0a to
18c9fbf312340d8154b38164b465cb0a

The file then loaded as expected, a 300mb download. There must be some kind of cache it's using and it's getting confused with the obfuscated filenames, but I'm not sure how to clear it or override it... any suggestions?
thallon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/13/06

Re: 'Ghost' or cached NZB's loading and causing duplicate fa

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Are you feeding the NZB's directly to the download list or to the post list first and then to the download list? If you're going from post to download, it's not unusual for them not to group properly. You'll need all of those RARS to get a complete file anyway.

I'd suggest using the current beta and only feeding the NZB's directly to the download list. It'll force group them then.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby thallon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 pm

thanks Quade, this is super interesting. I upgraded to the current beta and the "NZB double-click" behavior has changed. Previously "download loaded NZB's" was off, so the NZB would show as a tab and I'd <right-click> to download it. That drops it into the "downloading files" queue and starts the download. In the beta, that flag was set and with that, 3 NZB files (individually selected) worked perfectly. With that flag clear (NZB's appear in a tab for me to decide what to do) on those same NZB's, newsbin went back to be combining the current NZB with past remembered NZB's. There is something about that flag and the obfuscated file names being the same that's creating that behavior even if the files to download are themselves different. At least there is a workaround - auto-download being selected seems to avoid the issue.
thallon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/13/06

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:03 am

There's a certain logic to combining files together which some obscured formats break. That's why these days, direct feed to download is better because of the forced grouping.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support