Lockout Poster Changes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Lockout Poster Changes

Postby cat_man » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I still download headers and lockout spam posters to make viewing cleaner. In 6.0 I now have to Lockout Poster, Hit Enter to Mail address and then delete all posts from poster to make them disappear. In 5.59 this took one step. Also on previously loaded headers, to get the locked out poster to apply, I could just uncheck and recheck enable filters. This no longer seems to work. Am I missing something here? Nice job on the overall look and feel, definitely faster loading headers.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Re: Lockout Poster Changes

Postby mimauk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 pm

I had something similar.

After upgrading to 6 I did a groups update and came across a spammer in one group which already had the filter enabled checked - when I did a lockout poster, I had to uncheck filters and then check it again before the spammer disappeared from the post list - in 5.9 ( from what I remember ) as soon as a poster was locked out when the filter enabled was checked he disappeared from the post list automatically.

When I updated the groups a few hours later, another spammer appeared and when I tried to lockout poster I got a message saying that NB was unable to lockout poster. I just done a sort by poster and got rid of them that way.

I haven't tried the lockout since.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't actually know if lockout posters is working in the 6.0 beta. Lockout posters is sort of pointless though. In many cases the spammers are using the "From" of good posters so, when you lock them out, you're locking the good posters out too.

It's a beta, has numerous issues. Some I'm aware of, some not.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby cat_man » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:49 am

Unfortunately I'm going back to 5.59. Going through or deleting tens of thousands of headers each day just isn't working for me. Will be back when Lockout poster processing is working.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby davidn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Quade wrote:I don't actually know if lockout posters is working in the 6.0 beta.

No it is not working. I vote to keep it. It is much quicker than selecting all the spam manually by poster and deleting.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby DThor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Just checking, but you know you can select a post and right click - Delete all Posts from Poster, right? That's a one step process... I understand if they're posting constantly that's more work, but I'd be nervous using filters anymore. Not only can you easily end up filtering out someone you want to see(an increasingly common trick by the sporgers is to match names of well known posters), but as you keep adding names, NB has to constantly do more and more processing. I stopped using filtering out sporgers altogether.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby cat_man » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Dthor, I basically agree with what you say. I was aware and using delete all posts from poster. But to do it day are day, group after group for the same spam was not fun. Yes, I might miss some posts, I periodically clean out all locked out posters and start the process over. I review headers twice a day for about 15 Group of Groups so it became a lot of work.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Catonic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Lockout is still a useful feature, but for some groups a new feature to support marking/filtering by "Trusted Posters" would be even better. (Because the worst Spammers change their name after every 50 posts, and most groups only have a handful of "regular" posters that I'd like to view first).

It wouldn't solve the problem of spoofed poster names, but it would quickly prune post lists to a manageable size for eyeball filtering. Kind of a blunt instrument, but there is at least one major group where I would use it to mark only one poster as trusted (to quickly find weekly updates), and probably track 15-20 regular posters in most other groups.

My combined "trusted" list might be less than 100 "real" posters across all groups. Today, some do use a "tag" in all their post subjects that is identifiable for filtering, but many do not.

Alternately, but functionally equivalent; the ability to add a poster name to a filter would allow us to maintain our own Trusted / UnTrusted lists using filters. (EG: "From Accept" / "From Reject").

However, I really like the like the ease of the [right-click->Lockout Poster] flow, so maybe a "Trust Poster" / "Trust Poster Keyword" / "Untrust Poster" implementation would be a more elegant UI? (assuming any other users would find the "Trusted Posters" concept useful).
Catonic
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/08

Postby tgeery » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Lockout behavior seems to have changed between 6.0 and 6.1. it used to be, if you locked out a poster, it took effect immediately. now in 6.1, you see a red icon on the posts from the poster you just locked out but the posts still populate the list. was this intentional and is there a new trick to get the posts to no longer display?
tgeery
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/05

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:07 pm

I'd guess you have the filters disabled so, they're not getting filtered out. Try enabling the filters and see what happens.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tgeery » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

thanks for the response, Quade... pretty sure I tried toggling that but I'll verify and post back.
tgeery
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm

I'll try it too.

- I had my filters disabled (power button)
- Locked out my favorite poster - got red - signs.
- Flipped the filters on and they vanished.
- Unlocked him

Then I made sure the filters were on, Locked the poster out and his posts vanished.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tgeery » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:50 pm

thanks... gotta be the way it was set on my end then. I'll verify. I appreciate you testing it for me.
tgeery
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support