automatic updates

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

automatic updates

Postby TMM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:25 am

Is it possible for you guys to add an automatic update feature. I understand that you have the message of the day, which is supposed to notify users of any updates, but it would be nice for all that to be automatic
and as a phobbyistrogrammer myself i I understand if you don't want to implement such a feature duty tremendous amount of strain it would put on your server, but nonetheless it would be a good future to have
also, I do not want to spam everybody but I am a disabled musician and would love people to check me out on iTunes and any money goes to my continued care
I've recorded its when I was 10
with my dad
http://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/paul- ... d412520461
please note, I'm sorry if I have broken any rules. Trying to get the word out to as many people as I can
while offering a feature request to world best USENET client
I can assure you are not one of those spammers nor would I plan to be disabled
for those who may be interested. I have cerebral palsy spastic quadriplegia
I have been in the Wiltshire all my life but this is getting off topic so I with this feature request
. Please note I have not yet downloaded V6 to see if it already has this feature. I apologise if it does I will upgrade once it becomes stable
TMM
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/10

Re: automatic updates

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 am

Most likely auto-update won't be implemented, it's been discussed quite a bit. Less about strain on servers, more about 'phoning home '. It's something that many users, including the Newsbin developers, find distasteful.
I'm just an end user, but yes I think the rest of your post is inappropriate. This forum is for the discussion of a commercial software product.

DT

PS I suspect your other post will be deleted out of hand - it's not only repeating what's here, it's unrelated to the software.
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby snes150 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:56 am

How is checking to make sure your serial is valid or checking for a new message of the day not phoning home either? :roll:

Automatic update functionality is something that should definitely be implemented as an option you can enable or disable.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TMM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Quade wrote:Yeah.

so are you going to implement this feature is an optional thing. Please say you are it would mean a lot to me as a diehard user PS thanks to a free upgrade for all the nbfgn uses I really do appreciate that after they came out with that crap programme that they have done with golden frog . It truly is hobble once again if there's anything I can do please let me know. I really want to give back to the people in 2011as so many people are always doing things from me as I am disabled. I never really doing anything for other people, not intentionally, but it always works out that way
TMM
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/10

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:07 pm

A - It's unlikely I'm going to do it.

B - I never say never though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97