When showing list trying to remove a file removes everything

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

When showing list trying to remove a file removes everything

Postby hdtv00 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 am

So you're telling me you can't remove individual files now...When I expand to see entire que, and right click and select one or two files then pick remove from list, it removes the ENTIRE que. You can't tell me thats planned, right. Or am I missing something.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/08/05

Re: When showing list trying to remove a file removes everyt

Postby richy99 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 am

no you cant, its how it works at present
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 am

Keep in mind that you can select the whole compact or individual files and pause or release them. Thus for whatever reason you want a partial set left in the download queue, you can quickly pause them all by selecting the parent and hitting pause, then open and select the ones you want and hit the little play icon. Then you can close it up and forget about it, and it only takes up a single line. An added bonus is, you're keeping the the set 'intact ', so the pars and the rest are all together in a convenient location in case further fiddling is needed.

I've long since learned to not try and second guess how people use the application, but perhaps that approach is useful?

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 am

What are you trying to accomplish?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jj666 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 am

This happened the other day, where the headers were borked and I ended up with 50 broken files short out of 400 on a download.

Needed to fill from an NZB and discovered that you can't either prioritise individual files, or pause individual files, so needed to download a fair chunk from the start to get the missing files.

Would have been useful to have a little more control in that case.

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/03/07

Postby itimpi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 am

jj666 wrote:Needed to fill from an NZB and discovered that you can't either prioritise individual files, or pause individual files, so needed to download a fair chunk from the start to get the missing files.

You can definitely pause/unpause individual files!

The AutoPar facility makes heavy use of this by initially loading a file set with all files paused except the smallest PAR2 file. On downloading that all the rest of the files in the set are unpaused. The PAR2 files only get unpaused if they are required for repair.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby hdtv00 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:39 am

Like whoever said, there are clearly times when you need to redo something and only need few files, no pars, less pars etc etc. Before Id select the unwanted files, and select remove from whatever. Now you're seriously telling me there is no way to actual remove unwanted files at all...you have to be kidding me. Well ok, it's a beta, but seriously come on now. And you can no longer move a file up or down the list lol. Seriously .... :shock:
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:44 am

moving files might not be hooked up yet

if you add a compacted set and let newsbin do its job 99 times out of 100 it will download and unpack itself as it should, currently the retries are ot hooked up so incmpletes are an issue

what unwanted files are you meaning? .nfo?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby hdtv00 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 am

Well mainly unwanted par's is what I remove. I remove them 95% of the time. Don't even get me started on 3gig+ par sets. I even remove the bigger pars from smaller things. Times I move files up and down the list too. Sometimes I move all pars to bottom of list from different sets. There is a great many reasons to need to remove files rar or par along the way, queing something and then not being able to touch it is just insanity.

I mean say I need to grab something but yet have something already going, but I now need to grab a certain file or files. YOu're telling me I now have to remove the entire set running so I can move up the couple files needed, just because you can't move items up or down. Or hey Just wait another 10 hrs while the already qued stuff downloads...do you guys even use this app. I mean seriously you've never needed to remove files or move stuff up or down. I find that crazy. I need to do that far less often that I remove things though. I move items up and down maybe 20% of the time. But I remove items 90%+.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 am

the par files are paused when you add them until they are neeed, you do not have to do anything with them, providing you are using the builtin extraction of autopar, you are trying to do things that do not need to be done, granted everyone has a different working method, but if you add files to the list and let newsbin do its thing you shouldnt have to touch it

the abilty to move files is there and it works, i have just tested it, if you select the compacted line and then click the up arrow fromt he download list it moves it up a line, you saying this doesnt work ?

nobody is forcing you to use a first release beta, there will be bugs and issues in there as it isnt a fully working version yet, many things need hooking up and sorting out

if i need to add something to the top to download immediately i add it to the top using the shift key
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby hdtv00 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 am

I don't use auto par in the app never have, it waste to much time. It's twice as fast if you unrar to different drive other than the download drive when you unrar. That's why I never use it , also had issue couple times when something goes wrong and it ruined entire download by trying to fix it then couldn't and it renamed every file or something along those lines.

I'm saying when you right click a file, select move to top or whatever it doesn't move it or move up. I never use shortcut keys I always right clicked for whatever option I wanted.

And I know no one is forcing me to use it. I'm just giving you feedback on basic options that have been in there forever and are now totally missing. I've already went back to old version not being able to REMOVE makes it waste to much time for me. You que up 50 gig , 5 gigs being pars and then want to do other things or whatever and see if you don't what these features.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 am

I'll think about what you're saying.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Jonny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 am

I don't use auto par in the app never have, it waste to much time. It's twice as fast if you unrar to different drive other than the download drive when you unrar.

You might not have noticed, but NB can automatically unRAR to another drive. Just set another path in Options, under AutoPAR Options.

I have it set up to download to local disk, and then unRAR to my NAS.

Regards;
/jb
Jonny
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/29/03

Postby neilt0 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Jonny wrote:
I don't use auto par in the app never have, it waste to much time. It's twice as fast if you unrar to different drive other than the download drive when you unrar.

You might not have noticed, but NB can automatically unRAR to another drive. Just set another path in Options, under AutoPAR Options.

I have it set up to download to local disk, and then unRAR to my NAS.

Regards;
/jb

This doesn't work, and it's why I also don't use AutoPar. This is the mess I end up with if I try to extract to my NAS -- I end up with stray files in the Download folder (you can see my download folder at the top of the screen in this screenshot:

neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/07/03

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:58 pm

not sure it works over the share like that, have you tried mapping the drive and using that folder path?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby neilt0 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:43 pm

richy99 wrote:not sure it works over the share like that, have you tried mapping the drive and using that folder path?

Nope. That doesn't work either. Still stray files.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Nothing wrong with that path. You're probably not letting Newsbin manage the pars so, some are still downloading after the file finishes. If you don't let Newsbin manage the pars, it only deletes the ones it sees before the file is done. The rest just download.

It is working, it's unraring to the other destination which is all it said it was going to do. Kind of shrugging my shoulders about the NZB and SFV files. If it had to repair and generate them that's where they lay. They're not rars so, they have nothing to do with unraring to another folder.

If you want to say "be nice if they were deleted after repair" then that's another issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby neilt0 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Quade wrote:Nothing wrong with that path. You're probably not letting Newsbin manage the pars so, some are still downloading after the file finishes. If you don't let Newsbin manage the pars, it only deletes the ones it sees before the file is done. The rest just download.

It is working, it's unraring to the other destination which is all it said it was going to do. Kind of shrugging my shoulders about the NZB and SFV files. If it had to repair and generate them that's where they lay. They're not rars so, they have nothing to do with unraring to another folder.

If you want to say "be nice if they were deleted after repair" then that's another issue.

Really? SABnzbd and nzbget don't do this and I don't think any sane person would expect the app to end up with two folders in two locations when told to unpack to one. That's expected behaviour? No, that's a bug.

Again, this is why I don't use Autopar and why I don't use Newsbin to automate my downloads. Because it doesn't. Which is a shame, really. :(
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Not doing what YOU want isn't the same thing as not working. I unrar to another folder, that's what it does, that's all I need. The SFV and NZB aren't IN the rar set so, when Newsbin unrars, they don't follow the output file. If they're not mentioned in the par files, they're just like any other file to Newsbin.

Without know the set, it's hard to say.

If you downloaded these files manually, Newsbin's not going to touch them.
If you downloaded the files and they're mentioned in the PAR file, Newsbin will move them to the unrar folder.
if you didn't download the files and they were repaired into place, they should have gotten moved too.

I'm guessing you downloaded them by hand and they're not mentioned in the PAR set. And you're not letting Newsbin manage the pars.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby neilt0 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 pm

I know what you're saying, and I understand the logic, but the idea of adding an NZB collection to the queue and having that collection unpack and move any other files in the NZB to the unpack location is NOT crazy.

I'm going to suggest no other current usenet app does it your way, and I throw down the gauntlet for anyone to find one that does!

If you think that makes the "Newsbin way" right and everyone else wrong, then I don't think we need to discuss it any further! :lol:

You can see what my Autopar settings are in the screenshot.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby hdtv00 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:08 am

"Not doing what YOU want isn't the same thing as not working."

Yea but it NOT doing what I've done for SIX YEARS now with the app and now I can't , well that's hardly progress. And if you think for one second people don't delete files from que or MOVE them around then you're just delusional. I'm glad everything you grab is nice and tiddy and never needs to be tweaked or moved or couple things removed here and there. But the same applies just because you don't do it, doesn't mean tons of people don't too. I find the idea that you don't even seem to get the need to move or delete files in que. That concept is insane I tell ya.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 am

you can move files up the queue, if they are compacted you move the entire compacted set rather than individual files
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby hdtv00 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:18 am

Yea I know that I was never talking about just different rar sets. I mean WITHIN the rar set itself. And like I also said I don't do that nearly as often as removing unwanted pars or some other files, even the rars when trying to repair something I'll move files up if im trying to fix a rar. If nothing else I can stick with the older version. It's not like this app was the bells and whistles app for this kind of stuff. Which frankly is why I've gotten many other people to pay up and use it. It's simple for them.

Another thing that I can't figure out exactly.unless I'm totally out of it. You know the download timer that says how much time is left. Um is it just me or does that stupid ass thing all dumb now too. Instead of literally telling you how much is left of the remaining files. I swear to god it tells me now total time of the entire download from when I first started it.

Like Grabbing 30 gigs now, it says 6 hrs 2 hours ago. Well now it says 5:45 hours to go and here it is 2 hrs later. My net maxed out entire time. Um ok. Maybe it's because the files in the download list that are now LOCKED together can't be moved up or down or deleted don't actually remove themselves anymore when they are complete. It still holds the entire que in the download list panel so it shows entire time for whole set, instead of actual time remaining.

Don't mind my snotty pissy attitude its just like I said 6 yrs things working fine but now I'm finding one thing after another. Yea it's beta , its cool I'm just giving feedback for things that have been in for years and now seem not to be working. And with the feedback may never be.

Here's another newsflash. Not everyone downloads headers, despite what you think. In the 6 yrs I've NEVER done it once. There is no point with places like binsearch, newzbin and NZBmatrix , my ASS 60% of the people go through all that hassle for zero reason. 60% of the users on here that bother ever posting maybe. No where near 60% of the real world.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 am

you really have some anger towards this new beta dont you? i could understand if it was a final release but it isnt

if you let newsibn do what it has to e.g download the par2 file, download the rars and let it either repair or extract itself ther eis no need to go moving files about within the set, obviously you have different thinking of why you do this

the time remaining currently shows per compacted set, im sure this is likely to change in future beta releases

no one is forcing you use a beta, the purpose of the beta is to find bugs and issues that can be sorted out for future builds rather than have it being a fully working fully functional program straight from first beta release

you havent downloaded headers for 6 years thats good for you to use, indexing sites are making it simpler for usenet, go back to when you had to download headers and the people that use it from then still download headers
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 am

"Not doing what YOU want isn't the same thing as not working."

Yea but it NOT doing what I've done for SIX YEARS now with the app and now I can't , well that's hardly progress. And if you think for one second people don't delete files from que or MOVE them around then you're just delusional. I'm glad everything you grab is nice and tiddy and never needs to be tweaked or moved or couple things removed here and there. But the same applies just because you don't do it, doesn't mean tons of people don't too. I find the idea that you don't even seem to get the need to move or delete files in que. That concept is insane I tell ya.

My reply was to neilt. You just sort of...ran with it.

For your original comment, I've noted it. At this point that's all I've done. It's probably possible to eventually remove individual files but, you can't now. I've noted the time thing too. It's not high on my fix list yet.

You're not being forced to upgrade. There's nothing wrong with sticking to 5.59 if that's what you like.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am

You know, I added something yesterday.

If a group of pars is added to the download list, only the smallest one downloads and the rest sit there paused until they're needed. I'll bet that would help you with this too. The one thing it's not doing is deleting both sets of files from the download list after the repair/unrar. Currently it just deletes the PARS and the RARs have to be deleted manually.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby snes150 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm

There is a lot of raging going on in this thread. Let's just cut out all the dumbass rants and get straight to the point:

Please put back the ability to remove specific files from the download queue instead of having the program remove the entire package when a specific rar is selected.

A simple fix, thanks in advance.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Postby neilt0 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

snes150 wrote:There is a lot of raging going on in this thread. Let's just cut out all the dumbass rants and get straight to the point:

Please put back the ability to remove specific files from the download queue instead of having the program remove the entire package when a specific rar is selected.

A simple fix, thanks in advance.

Actually, I'd like to see all the functionality that I used in Newsbin 5.x restored, not just the deletion.

I like the new look and layout of V6.0 and love the increased speed, but having features that I use every day removed is problematic.

Here are the ones that come to mind:

With autopar disabled, I used to be able to:

* Move a rar (within a collection) up, down, to the top or bottom
* Pause an individual rar
* Delete an individual rar
* When adding an NZB, have all the pars added, but in paused mode (even with Autopar disabled) -- I should still be able to move the pars or un-pause them etc.

Please don't tell me "I'm doing it wrong". I often add 35GB of files while a post is still in progress, then add another 15GB later.
Using Newsbin in this "manual" fashion is one of the reasons I used Newsbin 5 so often. It lets me control what is going on. I don't need automation 100% of the time.

Thanks.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby richy99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:18 pm

id suggest reverting back to v5.59 for now until the beta cycle is further down the line as currently v6 doesnt suit your needs
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby neilt0 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:24 pm

richy99 wrote:id suggest reverting back to v5.59 for now until the beta cycle is further down the line as currently v6 doesnt suit your needs

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my view, the Beta cycle partly includes feedback on features that are broken or missing compared to previous versions.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah, I'm fine with feedback. It's what I want from the beta.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Questar_99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:18 pm

neilt0 wrote:* Move a rar (within a collection) up, down, to the top or bottom
* Pause an individual rar
* Delete an individual rar
* When adding an NZB, have all the pars added, but in paused mode (even with Autopar disabled) -- I should still be able to move the pars or un-pause them etc.

I vote for these being included in v6 also please.
Questar_99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/04

Postby hdtv00 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 am

I'm not mad it doesn't do what I want it to, I was annoyed at the attitude that I'm using it wrong. I kept going on about it because you seemed to think it shouldn't be in there anymore.

I actually like everything else about the beta. I actually like the fact that they're not grouped into sets in the que, it's just the fact they're locked together basically that sucks. Downloading smallest 3 or 4 files would be perfect but it doesn't matter. See take a tv show, 400megs you'd really only need 4 megs or 6megs or pars to repair it if some minor thing happened to a file, which if something does go wrong thats all thats needed 99% of the time. I admit it is rare they're even needed at all on smaller things. But when I grab 5 tv shows I remove 30megs of pars from each show probably. I'm just trying to get you to see how I use it and why, since clearly none of you used it that manner.

Anyway thanks for keeping it in mind I hope its added, if it isn't nothing wrong with using 5.59 because clearly I don't use the app properly anyway lol. So simple ok with me.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 am

you do seem to be using it differently to how it is intended to be used, v6 works differently to v5, v6 adds the pars paused so they only get downloaded if neeed, you do not have to micromanage the queue anymore by moving par2 files in and out of the download list

if you leave autopar running to do what it needs to there shouldnt be an issue, if you dont use autopar then i woudl expect in this early beta stage things not to be working correctly and to act differently to how you know they were
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby mho » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

richy99 wrote:you do seem to be using it differently to how it is intended to be used, v6 works differently to v5, v6 adds the pars paused so they only get downloaded if neeed, you do not have to micromanage the queue anymore by moving par2 files in and out of the download list

It still starts with the biggest .par2 file, not the smallest, if any repair block is needed. To some people, this is an issue. If breakage is small (only 1 or 2 blocks needed), .par2 files are big (the latter ones) and bandwidth is limited, for example.

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby richy99 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 pm

mho wrote:
richy99 wrote:you do seem to be using it differently to how it is intended to be used, v6 works differently to v5, v6 adds the pars paused so they only get downloaded if neeed, you do not have to micromanage the queue anymore by moving par2 files in and out of the download list

It still starts with the biggest .par2 file, not the smallest, if any repair block is needed. To some people, this is an issue. If breakage is small (only 1 or 2 blocks needed), .par2 files are big (the latter ones) and bandwidth is limited, for example.

- mho

do you mean the initial par2 or when to needs to repair?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby hdtv00 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 am

He means when there is damage and it actually needs repaired, which for most things that are damaged are nothing more than like a few blocks. It seems waste of time to grab the big par file first. . The files get bigger as you know in the par set. So he means kinda like I did that it grabbing the first 3 or 4 small pars, which for tv shows would be like 1M,3M,6M instead of going right for 30M file. Least I think that's what he meant, because that's what I meant. Hey maybe I just like something to do while its downloading, what can I say.

I don't mind so much for tv shows or small things. But example blu rays, um you really want it unrarring 45 gigs on its own every time. That'd make dang short work of your unrar drive pretty fast, and it'd go super fast if it were same as download folder. That's why I manage myself the unrar process. And what goes where and when.
hdtv00
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 am

No it doesn't. It'll default to the largest if something goes wrong but, it downloads the smallest that it thinks fits.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mho » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Quade wrote:

No it doesn't. It'll default to the largest if something goes wrong but, it downloads the smallest that it thinks fits.

Hmm... That's not what I have observed. *shrug* _I_ don't really care about this, though, as I have plenty of bandwidth; just adding my interpretation of the issue:-)

(I do, however, agree that it'd be nice if the sets weren't quite as tightly coupled, as I (for unrelated reasons - I haven't yet gotten a stable network connection since going win7 (when unpacking/writing to my servers, network fails ("The specified network name is no longer available" - and, no, it's not on the server side...))) often need to (re-)download particular parts of sets.)

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby tls2000 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am

I'd like to be able to delete files from a list or move them to the top of the list as well.

I've run into what looks like a bug where Newsbin will pause itself with 99% of the download complete due to incomplete posts or something else and I can't force it to download the par files like I was able to with V5. My first workaround was to try to delete all of the incompletes from the list, but that deleted the whole list so I wasn't able to get the par files.

In the end I downgraded to Newsbin 5, as I had almost 100GB of downloads that were incomplete.
tls2000
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 am

Incomplete files:
1 - Assemble incompletes in the right click.

Adding pars:
2 - Expand the download list entry, unpause the PAR and it'll download. Select it, hit the "Play" button or use the right click.

3 - Worse comes to worse, load the lost list or NZB, expand the set you're downloading and then select one or more PAR2 files to download. You can add individual files from the post list.

Moving the items:

You can move the whole set up and down AND manipulate what downloads by pausing and unpausing.

With a couple clicks, there's been nothing I couldn't get downloaded and unrared.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby snes150 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 am

I have had to manually tell Newsbin to assemble incompletes before. It then starts repairing them.

Why doesn't it do that automatically?
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Postby KilJaden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 am

snes150 wrote:I have had to manually tell Newsbin to assemble incompletes before. It then starts repairing them.

Why doesn't it do that automatically?

This is a know issue , so when it will be fixed you''ll see the same behavior as in 5.x series.
KilJaden
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/09

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 am

Well, it's not really a "known issue". It's not hooked up on purpose. We're testing Autopar (you and I) and I don't want automatic partial assembly getting in the way yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support