Version 6 GUI Demo

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Version 6 GUI Demo

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 am

I've posted a youtube video showing some elements of the new graphical user interface in Version 6

dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 GUI Demo

Postby TMM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Please make more frequent videos. It is the first time I've seen the new interface as I am waiting for it becomes stable. Not that isn't stable. I just want to wait until it is completely done in all its glory
please make videos about some of the more obscure features that people might not know about or some cool tips and tricks
keep up the good work yours sincerely Paul
TMM
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/10

Postby dexter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 am

TMM wrote:Please make more frequent videos.

Yeah, I think I will. I've only made a couple so far but they are getting easier to do now that I'm getting the hang of it. Next one I post will show downloading a rar/par set, showing expansion in a post list and in the download list, and how AutoPAR works in Version 6.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kamakazi downloader » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 am

Geez Dexter, lol......as you know, I am a self-proclaimed 'computer-dummy' (of sorts :) ) and I got to say that your video tute just taught me a whole lot more about the new V6 than I could garner from the text tute! Loving the new version more every day. I agree with TMM.....yes please make more!
Thanx
kamakazi downloader
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/07

Postby IdontexistM8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:46 am

Dexter you have a very natural relaxing voice, great for this sort of stuff.
"Nice to see binaries, to see binaries....Nice!!"
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/03/04

Postby dexter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks! I didn't think my serial killer voice would go over so well. I plan to put another one up today.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort but you guys have proven to me that it is.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IdontexistM8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:01 pm

dexter wrote:Thanks! I didn't think my serial killer voice would go over so well. I plan to put another one up today.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort but you guys have proven to me that it is.

It's always great when a youtube v/o isn't a 13yr old boy whose voice hasn't broken nor someone who is so monotone they might as well put up an 18dB test tone instead. :)
"Nice to see binaries, to see binaries....Nice!!"
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/03/04

Postby syshog » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 am

short and sweet!! Your voice sounds fine Dexter. I having a question about the themes: Since I'm stuck with windows till android takes, Will the themes support using windows Aero glass?
system:
xeon system with 128GB+ of ram and a lot of storage. I don't update my sig much.
syshog
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/06

Postby DThor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 am

If you mean things like the translucent title bar, yup, it does by default.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby syshog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 am

DThor wrote:If you mean things like the translucent title bar, yup, it does by default.

DT

No I mean all the dead space inside the program window. Windows does the titlebar by default. One thing I believe that newsbin needs to support is being able to customize the GUI via CSS styling. Look what can be done to the firefox gui with CSS styling (here's some links http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html pictures of customized gui http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=956440). As much as I love newsbin, the gui for 6 needs refinement. Why do the buttons for example use sentences and not single words like NB5? I have too much empty space at the top of the program if I enable both the menu bar and the toolbar menu. If I could use the menu and put the buttons from the main toolbar on the menu bar with the buttons running in series with the menu bar option much like the smiley face icons options available when you post. An example would be:

(File View Posts Groups Options Help :!: :wink: :evil: :mrgreen: :( :o :shock: )

The similies represent an option from the main toolbox that is on the same level as the text from the menu toolbar.

That would go a long way in cleaning up that extra space. I would like to use the text buttons that were in NB5 and not the icons.

Given that this is beta I'm guess the GUI will still go through changes before it is final.
system:
xeon system with 128GB+ of ram and a lot of storage. I don't update my sig much.
syshog
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/06

Postby DThor » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 am

Newsbin *needs*? As an end user, I heartily disagree. I don't question the cool value some people get from skinning apps, although I see that as pointless eye candy, but screwing around with markup?

GUI layout suggestions are always worthwhile, of course.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support