Use of NBI files in V6B7

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Use of NBI files in V6B7

Postby dane » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 am

Hi all

I'm using V6B7 for a few days now and find it pretty smooth. I used to start different versions of the software by pointing a shortcut to a different NBI file. Now, when I try to start NB this way I get an error which says "Failed to create empty document." Is there a better method for starting different configurations of NB?

Thanks,
Dane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Use of NBI files in V6B7

Postby itimpi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:41 am

dane wrote:I'm using V6B7 for a few days now and find it pretty smooth. I used to start different versions of the software by pointing a shortcut to a different NBI file. Now, when I try to start NB this way I get an error which says "Failed to create empty document." Is there a better method for starting different configurations of NB?

That error suggest that the Windows file association for .nbi files is not set to use Newsbin. Possibly some other program has hijacked the .nbi file extension.

An alternative is to create a shortcut to the Newsbin binary, and then edit the shortcut properties to add the full path to the .nbi file you want to use as a parameter after the binaries filename. Note that if there are any spaces in the path then it should be enclosed in quotes. This by-passes the Windows file associations so would not suffer from the problem you mentioned.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: Use of NBI files in V6B7

Postby dane » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for leading me to the answer. I had included the full path to the nbi with the link to the binary in my shortcut. On my maching, the binary for V5 was nbpro.exe and the binary for V6 is newsbinpro.exe. Once I made the change, the shortcut works fine.
Thanks,
Dane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Return to V6 Technical Support