b10 downloading only 98% of everything

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

b10 downloading only 98% of everything

Postby tech960 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:16 am

Since I've been running the v6 betas, it would seem it only likes to download 98% of each Rar set. I've tried over 50 sets, and I have to say it only completed about 5 of them.

The worst part is after I close and re open newsbin, it downloads the files again. Even worse, is when I tried to fill in the missing few files, they are no longer there, newsbin has deleted them.

This is driving me nuts, is this a known issue, if so is there a work around? Is downgrading to v5 as easy as running the install or does anything else need to be done to do this. Thanks.
tech960
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: b10 downloading only 98% of everything

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:33 am

What server are you using? I see the exact opposite, 98% or more of what I download is perfect. I seldom have to repair anything. I'd give B11 a try.

Can I guess newshosting or easynews?

If you've got Newsbin set to to use memory for most of the files, that's why they're not on disk. If you don't know what I'm talking about then, that's probably not an issue. For now, I'd download one of these sets, when it's done right click "assemble incompletes" and see if it does a repair. Anything over 48 hours old should be autoassembling and repairing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tech960 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 am

Quade wrote:What server are you using? I see the exact opposite, 98% or more of what I download is perfect. I seldom have to repair anything. I'd give B11 a try.

Can I guess newshosting or easynews?

If you've got Newsbin set to to use memory for most of the files, that's why they're not on disk. If you don't know what I'm talking about then, that's probably not an issue. For now, I'd download one of these sets, when it's done right click "assemble incompletes" and see if it does a repair. Anything over 48 hours old should be autoassembling and repairing.

I'm using Astranews
tech960
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:26 am

Try my suggestion and get back to me. I assume you mean astraweb.

Been a couple reports of weirdness in the download list with B11 but, it's not happening to me so, I'm sort of taking a wait and see approach to it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby b38kje2nq » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 am

Quade wrote:For now, I'd download one of these sets, when it's done right click "assemble incompletes" and see if it does a repair. Anything over 48 hours old should be autoassembling and repairing.

For my own understanding: when a post is incomplete but with sufficient par2 blocks on the server to enable repair, NewsBin doesn't assemble/repair immediately but waits 48 hours unless repair is manually started? Also, in the above case doesn't NewsBin automatically download only the needed par2 files to enable repair?
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby itimpi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 am

b38kje2nq wrote:For my own understanding: when a post is incomplete but with sufficient par2 blocks on the server to enable repair, NewsBin doesn't assemble/repair immediately but waits 48 hours unless repair is manually started? Also, in the above case doesn't NewsBin automatically download only the needed par2 files to enable repair?

That is certainly the intended behavior! Of course that does not mean that sometimes Newsbin gets it wrong. Having said that, I think there may be currently some anomolies when there is a missing part in the headers/nzb file compared to a server reporting that an expected post is not available.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 am

NewsBin doesn't assemble/repair immediately but waits 48 hours unless repair is manually started?

This isn't the way it works. I understand the confusion though.

Any file more then 48 hours old, (ie posted more than 2 days ago), will autoassemble and repair after one retry. It has nothing to do with how long it's been in the download list. New files, that might not have finished posting yet, won't autoassemble automatically.

Understand, giganews has 1000 days worth of files on it. If you add something posted a week ago, it'll download, retry one time, then autoassemble and repair. If you add sometime posted 1 hour ago, that's when it'll wait for more records to download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby b38kje2nq » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 am

Quade wrote:
NewsBin doesn't assemble/repair immediately but waits 48 hours unless repair is manually started?

This isn't the way it works. I understand the confusion though.

Any file more then 48 hours old, (ie posted more than 2 days ago), will autoassemble and repair after one retry. It has nothing to do with how long it's been in the download list. New files, that might not have finished posting yet, won't autoassemble automatically.

Understand, giganews has 1000 days worth of files on it. If you add something posted a week ago, it'll download, retry one time, then autoassemble and repair. If you add sometime posted 1 hour ago, that's when it'll wait for more records to download.

Thank you for the explanation. One last question: does the same apply to par2 downloading, i.e. for incomplete files posted more than 48 hours ago NewsBin will automatically download the needed par2 files to repair, whereas it will wait if it's less than 48 hours ago, even when the server already has the needed par2 files (some posters post the par2 files first)?
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:53 am

Once the files are assembled, the par download is automatic. So, yes, assembly of files triggers par downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support