Restore settings, DATA-path etc.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Restore settings, DATA-path etc.

Postby nbwul62 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 am

With the new v.6 coming up I have the following question (and maybe feature request).

Currently, when a user wishes to have the .nbi files stored elsewhere along with the spoolfolder etc.
it is required to edit the nbi file, move files from C-drive under documents and settings over to the
other location. This all being explained under
http://wiki.newsbin.com/index.php/V550- ... r_location

This requires manual adjustments.

Would it not be possible to have all thesed advanced 'setup-matters' included in the setup routine of v6.

In other words, in the setup of a fresh install there shd be a kind of 'settings'-screen where users can either decide to:
- leave all to default (current situation)
or
- select/browse to drive/folders where they wish the data-path, nbi/nbi-bak-files shd be stored (or browse/select an
existing nbi file from a previous install, e.g. in case of a re-install of windows from scratch and newsbin's nbi/data etc.
is located on another drive)

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Re: Restore settings, DATA-path etc.

Postby DThor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:58 am

The manual aspect is deliberate - essentially tech support was getting a lot of support issues when it was made 'easy' to fiddle with the setup. Since typically only 'advanced' users need to screw around with the default paths, and it's a rare occurrence(typically you tweak and don't touch it again unless you change your hardware setup), it was decided to make it a little more hands on task. You might(or might not be) surprised at how many people are installing software on UAC-enabled windows and don't realize permissions are important, so they would dump the spools in C:\Spools and shriek when Newsbin failed.

Personally(I'm just a user!) I think the config files should always be in a standard location and the spool/unrar location is configurable, but not as something you have easy access to. People just muss everything up, and a friendly popup simply encourages them to play. The vast majority of applications don't allow or encourage where data/config files are stored, but with a heavy program like NB I can certainly see the desire to move the IO folders to where they perform best, at least.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby nbwul62 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:52 am

The reason for asking this is that sofar I _assumed_ that the data forlder and nbi thing was stored on the separate partition,
until I (just) discovered it was on my C-drive and only after noticing the nbi file did not change, although I changed a few
things within NB.

Also, I incorrectly assumed that, after a fresh Windows install and after installing NB into the same folder (different partition),
after lauching, NB would 'detect' the existing nbi-file and take over the previous settings.

Whilst writing this I now remember I needed to set things up from scratch, but admittedly I did not investigate as to why.
NB worked fine and I forgot about it.
Personally I hate .ini and cfg files stored on my C-drive.

My idea in the setup screen offers both ways
[X] Use program defaults (Recommended)
[_] Select existing .nbi file (Advanced)

Well, it is/was just an idea... :wink:

=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Just so you're aware, you can assign an nbi file by literally just double clicking it. That assigns that as the current nbi from that point on, in the location it is at the time. You can override that by double clicking on it in another location.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:30 pm

I've toyed with the idea of making the data folder non-settable. Basically, wherever the NBI file is, that's the data folder. It seems pointless, in hindsight to have a distinct NBI setting that IS the data folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nbwul62 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:30 am

Okay, thanks for the feedbacks.

In case of a fresh install, I guess I have to go thru all the steps and folders are being created on the c-drive.

Then:
-close NB
-double the .nbi file on the other partition (in my case on another partition, viz F:\Newsbin\data), overriding previous settings
-delete c-drive folders under documents and settings

Tks again. NB is really a nice product!
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:14 am

I like the notion of your nbi location is the data location. Eliminates a number of bad scenarios and is easier, to boot!

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to V6 Technical Support