Seriously stressed, Data Folder issue

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Seriously stressed, Data Folder issue

Postby omega13lives » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 pm

The stress is mostly dealing with my SSD drive, but something tweaked on my WinXP machine and now my F: drive, where my Newsbin was installed is now my G: drive and I can't change it back because the new F: drive is a bootable partition. Never mind, but now my Newsbin is on G: and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it working again. I edited the .nbi file to point to G:\Newsbin5\data (folder was not rename when upgrading to beta6), but when I launch Newsbin it shows the folders not updated for 962 days and the path in downloads shows "Data Folder:\" instead of F or G and the log shows "ERROR InterSocket - Error: Connection Failed, Host:127.0.0.1Error Code: 10061No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." HELP!! (I want my MTV.....)
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Re: Seriously stressed, Data Folder issue

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 pm

It sounds like it's not loading the configuration file you expect. Go into the data older on the new drive letter, then double-click the NBI in the folder there. I assume that's the one you edited manually.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby omega13lives » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Yes, I did that. It is the file I edited but clicking it to open Newsbin still does as mentioned before. There is no Newsbin folder or Data folder on the "new" F: drive so it can't be reading from there. Is there a registry entry or something? And why does it say "Data Folder:\" instead of a letter?
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 am

Maybe you entered it wrong. You need dos style slashes and you need a trailing slash.

F:\bla bla\

I'd search your hard disk for other NBI files too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby omega13lives » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:02 am

I appreciate the response but I have already checked that. The Eric.nbi in the G: drive (which used to be F: shows "DataPath=G:\NewsBin5\Data\". I scoured the registry for references and found many pointing to F: which I changed to G: and found a reference to "C:\Documents and Settings\ericjs\Local Settings\Application Data\NewsBin\Eric.nbi". Not sure why it was there but I edited that one too, and rebooted. Still having the same problem. I would be mildly annoyed with having to download all the headers again but can't get past the "InterSocket - Error". What would you suggest next? Also (after solving this issue) can I send you a PM not directly related to this issue? I'm not sure if my user account has that privilege. tx.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:19 am

Intersocket error is why I think it's the wrong NBI. It looks like the server information is missing and you need to add it. Set the server address to the real address of the server instead of the loopback address. If you start Newsbin and do a File/Save As from the menu, it'll actually show you which NBI's it's using.

I'm going to bed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby omega13lives » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 am

So the loopback is part of Giganews Accelerator, which I had to re-download. Now it's working fine. God, I hate computers. Now I'm going to bed.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:51 am

You should not need to use the Giganews accelerator with Newsbin. Newsbin has sSL support and Header compression (the main features of the Giganews Accelerator) built in.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby omega13lives » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks, I'll try it for a while without and see.
omega13lives
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support