Newsbin keeping files "open"

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin keeping files "open"

Postby nughtin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Occasionally when I load an NZB where even with the par files there isn't enough to repair and unrar it. At that point I just give up on it and delete it from the download list and then attempt to delete it from disk but when I do Windows says the file is open in another process. If I close Newsbin I am allowed to delete it. I am using v6.0 RC2 Build 976.
nughtin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/18/03

Re: Newsbin keeping files "open"

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:01 am

Yeah, I see that rarely, but I'm unsure of the precise combination of issues that trigger it. It's definitely not just not having enough pars and deleting it from the queue, that happens many times, with recent posts for example, and it hasn't triggered this. I'm suspecting it's deleting the entry when really Newsbin is still actually working on the download, the connection might be stalled etc. I try to avoid deleting stuff in the queue too rapidly. But yes, seen it.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby nughtin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Usually this happens after an overnight download and it has been hours since it was trying to download so I don't think it is still working on it. But, if it was still trying to work on it shouldn't deleting it from the list tell newsbin to stop attempting to download and unlock the files?
nughtin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/18/03

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Well, I would call this an error condition. Maybe it's triggered by improper communication between the server and Newsbin, I don't know, could be the server's fault, or Newsbin, or happenstance.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support