Server Change - Header Download

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Server Change - Header Download

Postby magician1962 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 am

As far as I can tell, this can not be done, so may be a feature request.

Today I ended my Giganews account. I run it for a couple of months for catch-up, then use the free service from my ISP, repeating the cycle when needed

On Disabing the giganews servers, and activating the ISP's server, NewsBin prompty went and downloaded over 50 million headers, i.e. those since it was last on that server.

What I would like to do is have the new server start from the current day, or 'x' days past. Not only would this save downloading well over 20GB of headers, it would also save a lot of time on downloading headers i have seen before.

Is this possible ?
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Re: Server Change - Header Download

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 am

If you search for and delete "Range.db3"'s in the data folder. It'll reset all the groups to use "Download Age". If you're pretty current, "Download age" could be set to 1-2 to download just a couple days worth of headers. You could also add a new copy of the ISP server with a new name, then delete the old ISP server entry. The new name will make Newsbin think it's a news server and it'll also use "Download Age".

You can use windows search to find them all and delete them in one go.

A truly new server, one you've never used before, will always start with "Download Age".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support