Beta 6 RC4 loses functionality from Beta 15

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Beta 6 RC4 loses functionality from Beta 15

Postby billdehaan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:21 pm

I was using Beta 15, but I've been tearing my hair out trying to see files older than 7 days, so I downloaded RC4. For some reason, V15 would only show the last 7 days worth of posts, despite my defining every setting that I could find to be unlimited.

The good news is that after installing RC4, a group that only showed 18 posts in B15 is now showing 1103 posts in RC4, dating back months. That's good.

However, the UI behaviour seems to be completely different. With B15, I had dragged and dropped windows into the desired configuration. With RC4, it's not in the desired configuration, and dragging and dropping of windows is no longer possible. No matter what I do, I can't seem to control where windows go, and if they do happen to go where I want them, I can't get them to stick. The demo video is no help, since it starts with everything in single pane mode; I can't *get* to a single pane mode.

To expand on this: I've currently got the "Groups List" window onscreen. It fills the entire screen. I then select a group folder (say, Boneless), and select "Show All Posts". Instead of getting another tab (as in B15), I now have two windows split screen; one for Groups, one for Boneless. Because they're split vertically, I cannot see file size/status/date, etc.in the Boneless window, so I have to keep scrolling back and forth. Dragging appears to be disabled.

The next problem is that I can no longer see the download list. So, I click on the download list tab at the bottom. It shoots up, expanding to fill the entire screen. I can resize it near the bottom, but then it obscures the horizontal scroll bar. Then, when I click in the Boneless window, the Download list hides itself.

The major problem is that drag and drop no longer works. No matter what I set the windows to, they can't be dragged anywhere. Floating, Dockable, Autohide, or Hide state doesn't seem to make any difference. With B15, I could move the tabs around (as per the demo video). With RC4, windows can be created, and bolted into place, but I can't put them on a tab bar. Switching between a series of full screen windows is very frustrating, as switching effects shows windows shooting up and down, and in from the sides, as they take full screen focus. It's very difficult to understand what's going on in what window, or even what windows are available, since things minimize to different places.

I'm not even sure what "View/Switch Tab Position" is supposed to do, but I tried it, thinking maybe it could reset things to some sort of default state. It doesn't seem to do anything, either. Maybe that's because there are no tabs.

Is there a "reset to default" ability, so that I can force things to be single pane mode? I can see this being a support nightmare. There are no settings for drag and drop, it's supposed to "just work". But when it doesn't there's no recourse or recovery path.
billdehaan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/18/06

Re: Beta 6 RC4 loses functionality from Beta 15

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 pm

1 - Delete the file "Workspace.xml" in the data folder to reset the GUI

2 - Do NOT hide the search tab. If you do, the post lists won't know where to appear so, they appear in apparently random places.

3 - There's a lock on the toolbar. This lock prevents drag and drop of windows if it's active.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby billdehaan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Quade wrote:1 - Delete the file "Workspace.xml" in the data folder to reset the GUI

2 - Do NOT hide the search tab. If you do, the post lists won't know where to appear so, they appear in apparently random places.

3 - There's a lock on the toolbar. This lock prevents drag and drop of windows if it's active.

Hi Quade;

I didn't know about the Workspace or the search tab thing. I can understand the Workspace config file, but I don't intuit how a tab called "search" dictates behaviour of other tabs. I understand the pinning, and had played with that as well, without success.

I shut down, deleted Workspace.xml, and restarted. I now have the tab layouts similar to B15, thanks. The only difference is that the tab bar is now at the bottom, rather than the top. Thanks.

With my windows in desired positions, it's not a problem, but I still don't seem to be able to use drag and drop any more, even after the reset. As I said, not a problem, personally, but are any other users reporting drag and drop issues with RC4? Or maybe it's skipping from B15 to RC4 directly that set something weird?

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
billdehaan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/18/06

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 pm

I just dragged my download list tab from the bottom to the top so, I'd say no issue here. If you have the bar set to "Autohide". You need to pin them before you can drag and drop. You have to drag from the TAB too.

but I don't intuit how a tab called "search" dictates behaviour of other tabs.

You don't need to understand why this is true. It's just a fact that people need to know. If you hide the search tab, you will have problems when you open post lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support